Topamax

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
sleepless in Atlanta

Topamax

Post by sleepless in Atlanta »

I had been taking Requip for about a year and had problems with augmentation and being tired and my legs hurting. My doctor started me on Topamax. So far I am not real impressed. Can anyone give me any information or feedback about this treatment?

Kisster

Post by Kisster »

Sleepless,

I'm a little late on this, but hopefully this can help someone. I take Topamax for migraine prevention and not my RLS. One of the more bothersome side effects of Topamax is the tingly - pins and needles - sensations, which affects the hands, feet, and sometimes the face and some people find intolerable without having the addition of RLS.

I had lived with RLS symptoms for years, prior to starting Topamax, so the added sensations didn't bother me as much when there was an added benefit of reducing my migraines. I'm not sure how I would feel if I was taking it solely to try to help with the RLS if it was adding sensations to the parts that I was trying to treat.

Another sise effect that bother some is the memory issues associated with Topamax. Again, this is something that I had learned to deal with over the years from lack of sleep, so I had adjusted and it doesn't bother me as much. I just find new ways to remind myself before I forget things.

With any medication, in my opinion, if the bad outweighs the good than it may be time to look at alternatives.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

my neuro just took me off of Topamax for the "novacaine wearing off" feeling in my hands and face...she said it's not good.

she wants to try Sinamet now

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

Heffalumps

Post by Heffalumps »

I actually take the Topamax for epilepsy and I sometimes go a little batty from the pins and needles. Once I get a case of them, they are very distracting and it can take ten minutes for them to go away. If it didn't work so well for my type of seizures I'd dump the pills. Don't know that it helps my RLS any. . . I can't remember if my memory was better before I was on it. That was also before I had kids and they've wrecked my brain, too! :shock: