Darvon causing (extra) jerks/twitches?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Aiken

Darvon causing (extra) jerks/twitches?

Post by Aiken »

My doctor is kindly letting me try out Darvon (propoxyphene), since I'm so hesitant to start down the Neurontin/Sinemet/Requip road before I absolutely have to.

The effect of the drug is not bad. It just barely masks the RLS feeling. That's probably ideal: only as much as I need to get to sleep on the nights RLS bugs me. However, I'm waking up an hour or two later with what feels like myclonic jerks in my legs. I wake up to an electric sensation that's different from my RLS, just a sort of increasing energy, kinda like a quick adrenaline rush that grows over maybe ten seconds to the point that my muscle just involuntarily jerks and moves my leg a few inches.

I do not have PLMD with my RLS. This has never happened before, even when I tried OTC codeine recently for RLS or took Vicodin for back pain.

Anyone else? Is this something specific to Darvon? Does it go away after a while? Or get worse?

Thanks...

Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.
Last edited by Aiken on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Must be that not many of us have any experience with this, Aiken. I didn't have any extra twitches or jerks with Darvon. It just wasn't strong enough for me, so didn't make the RLS go away at the low dose the doctor gave me.

I did have strong and severe daytime jerks when I was having trouble with the DAs I was taking. Now that I am off of them and my dose is relatively stable, the jerks are gone.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

It seems to have tapered off. It may have something to do with what I was eating last week. (I can do certain leftovers for days. :)) Some meds seem to vary a lot based on the fats/starches in your digestive tract.

It's actually working quite well now. I seem to need it about half of my nights, which is a relief. I was worried that, once I started, I'd need it every night. I'm hoping to avoid developing a tolerance for it.

Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.
Last edited by Aiken on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifejoy

Post by lifejoy »

It makes very good sense that darvon would act differently than codeine or vicodin/hydrocodone. Darvon is different than most opiates in that it has slight stimulant properties to it (most likely from the release of serotonin and dopamine.) Demerol has this same trait to it. In fact, on many prescriptions for drugs such as amphetamines or ritalin, it will include darvon and demerol as 2 drugs to not take while using it, yet no other opiods are included. PLEASE EVERYONE WHO IS USING DARVOCET/DARVON/OR DEMEROL KEEP THIS IN MIND: THESE DRUGS ALL HAVE SOME STIMULANT PROPERTIES TO THEM, POSSIBLY WORSENING RLS. Why doctors are all about these "low-risk" painkillers is beyond me.