Requip

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jrowley

Requip

Post by jrowley »

Ok, I started taking requip and I have done the .25mg for two days as the web site says then I went to .5mg for 5 days which I take my last one tonight so tommorrow night I need to go up the next step and the web site says go to 1.0mg but my doctor told me to go from .25-.50-.75mg so should I go to the .75mg or just go to the 1.0mg? The .50 mg seems to be getting me through half the night so I am wondering if the .75mg will do the trick for the whole night?

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

it did me, but then the 5 day migraine started at .75 and i had to drop back down to .5

Only you know if it's just the right dosage, but please let me know how it goes. I sure wish sometimes that I could go back to the .75

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

becat

Hi Girls

Post by becat »

Hi Jan and Miss Penguin,
Jan I hope your seeing some positive results.
Penguin, I'm sorry about the miagranes, yuck! Hate those things. Did they stop after the drop in Requip? I hope so.
Please both of you keep us updated, I'm interested to know how it all goes.
Hugs to you both.

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

I'm hoping it works too as far as the headaches I have had those everyday since I was 14 years old so that is why my neuro is keeping me on the depakote as that is a very common drug for headaches and seems to work sometimes for rls so lets knock on wook, I know I am praying as its been long enough for me. Thank you girls for the support I sure love when there can be support rather than not.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Jan, you have to try 0.75mg first for 3 - 5 days (rather 5) because if it works you evidently don't need more which means less side effects etc.
It also gives you more space to up the dose when necessary in future.

Corrie

TxSongBird

Post by TxSongBird »

I am on Requip .5 mg daily and it seems to work great. Tried to go up but it made me sick to my stomach and my Dr. felt it would be better to stay at the .5mg.

Donna
Donna

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

ok i have uped my dose to the .75mg and for the first two nights i didn't sleep much at all awake about every hour or so looking at the clock but last night i went to bed at 9:30 fell asleep woke up at 1:30 thinking about going to bathroom fell back to sleep and didn't wake again till 3:30 then i went potty couldnt wate anymore lol. So maybe it might do the trick we will see in the next couple of days and if not its up to 1mg. If that doesnt work then I'm to call my doc to see whats next

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear J,

Hope that it is better.

The .25 dose really reduced the rls pain and symptoms, and if I lay real still the heart racing wasn't too bad to endure. On the .5 doseage I was dreaming and waking up every few hours after three days. Dr. said I could reduce the dose in half back to .25 and the rls symptoms kicked in again...

so IMHO it would be best to go slow increasing the doseages... Sending many prayers that the migraines vanish and you have some restoritive sleep soon.

{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs to All}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Hazel

Anonymous

lack of sleep with requip

Post by Anonymous »

I have just started taking the 1.0 mg. My legs are doing great no jumping and twitching. But my problem now is the requip is causing me just to cat nap all night long. I am waking up about every 2 hours and can not go back to sleep for a while. I am more exhausted in the morning than when I am suffering with the RLS symptoms. Am I the only one that has found this problem or are there others out there like me???? :?:

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Hi All: Read your comments on Requip, I just started taking it. This is my first night on .5. The sample kit the doctor gave me has 2.5, .5, and 1mg. No .75. I hope it works, but after reading all your comments I'm not sure. The one thing that worries me is on the instruction sheet that came with the Requip it said that people with Parkinson or those taking meds prescribed for Parkinson etc. have a high risk for melanoma. :( they don't know if its from Parkinson or the meds. So I think I will finish the 2 week sample and go from there. If it doesn't do much good I will just go back on the clonazapam, maybe increase the dose of it. Nice reading all your experiences. It is comforting for me that I can come to this site and vent. And those on this site understand where I am coming from, thanks to all of you. And I wish you the very best, and especially a good nights rest. BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Post by Guest »

Dear Betty & Tammy,

How are you doing on the Requip? Inquiring minds want to know? Not much advice I can offer, as I stopped using it after a week. First night of .25 I slept for the first time in weeks and my body felt great! At .5 doseage I began to experience the every two hour wake up call and odd dreams, then dropping back to .25 the heebee jeebees came back. It was my thought that maybe I would be better off trying other meds till I absolutely needed the Requip.

Hope that it is working better for you. ((((BIG HUG)))) and Sweet Dreams Hazel

Betty/WV

Re: Requip

Post by Betty/WV »

Hi Hazel: Received your note. I didn't do to well either on the Requip. I took it 2 nights of .25 mgs. First night didn't sleep at all then the next night slept 4 hours, not bad. Then I took the one dose of .5 mg. and had terrible headache the next day and was sick at my stomach. Didn't sleep well the night I took it either. So I figured, I don't need this. I don't think my doctor knows to much about the requip either. The FDA approved it, because finally they recognized rls as a real illness, the commercial on TV says 10% of the population has it. So the pharmacutical companies wanted to prescribe meds for that 10%. Whether it is good for rls or not. I guess I'll go back on clonazapam, maybe increase it alittle. This rls condition is really weird. Since I've been messing around with my meds,. nothing really helped me much anyway, but last night was a real nightmare. I didn't go to sleep until the birds sing. Which was around 5am. And I would like to know if anyone else experiences this, but it is like someone turning off a light switch. My legs were nuts all night and at 4:52am it was like someone hit a switch and my legs relaxed. You can just feel the moment it happens. I don't know what to do next. The worse part of it is that I can't think straight, I can't concentrate. Its a good thing I'm an old lady :roll: and don't work because I couldn't do it. Thanks for the reply Hazel. Take care. And rest well. (don't we wish) :shock: BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

Sorry I havent been on in a couple of days but I had to up my dose to 1.0mg now the .75 didn't quite get it but this dose seems to be a bit better. Today was the second day after taking it and I feel better than I have in a long time. But with the hubby and I sleeping in seperate beds most of the time due to my jerks and is apnea I havent found out if it actually has stoped those. I will find out this weekend though when the hubby and I go north and stay in a motel where there isnt two beds. :lol:

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Jrowly... hope it continues to work! Be nice to sleep soundly in each others arms at least once in a while! *BG*

Betty, knew the other night it was going to be one of those nights, so I decided to try the clonazepam again ... it makes me dream wierdly... I slept evidently not soundlessly, kept Will up all night talking in my sleep, but I think it was the screams that bothered him the most! goooodddd grieffffffffff

Don't remember anything myself other than I woke up worn out and mind full of dreamscapes.

So last night I just took the loratab 5... and ibprofen ... one ativan and waited it out till I fell asleep on the couch Will came and got me around 5ish.

It is so odd that this disease has a time schedule! Good thing Isa ole woman too and have a fairly flexible work schedule and supervisor! Just hope to make it two more years so I can retire! hahahaha When submitting my retirement info, they wanted a projected total of unused sick leave which they will pay us for, I put ZERO... It is looking brighter now that I have found a doctor who is willing to work with me.

***********Positive Energy**************
((((((((((((((BIG HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Hazel

Rachael

Requip

Post by Rachael »

Hi all! I'm having the same problem as some of you with Requip. I'm taking .25 a night and even at that low dose I'm still tossing and turning all night and nauseous. I've found that eating something before taking the requip helps with the stomach irritation, but I haven't found anything to help with the sleeplessness. I'm also taking Clonazepam (.5 on some nights) because my sleep doctor said that it might help with the sleeplessness, but I'm worried about becoming addicted. Also, the doctor said that at some point I'll become resistant to the meds and the dosage will have to be increased. I should be more worried about not sleeping well than having to up a dose, but I'm only 27 and don't want to run out of things to take as I get older. My boyfriend seems to think that if we get a new mattress, that'll "fix" the problem (he's not much into taking medication for things.) I might let him try that because I wouldn't mind a softer mattress! (haha) I'm going to try exercising a bit more and see if that helps, but if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it!

My mom is the only other person I know that has RLS. She tried acupuncture and it worked wonders! I tried it and it helped a little, but it didn't really work. I'm sorry that so many of you have similiar problems, but I have to say I'm glad there are others out there to talk to that understand what this is like (see the mattress statement above, haha) I hope you're all well!

Rachael