naltrexone and oxycontin

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
voudeaux

naltrexone and oxycontin

Post by voudeaux »

I was diagnosed many years ago with nocturnal myoclonus, was prescribed Mirapex which actually worsened the symptoms, then Klonopin which again worsened the symptoms though my sleep quality improved. I also was taking an opiate for a severe back injury and that was effective in relieving the rls symptoms for a short time, I had to increase the dosage of the opiates over a 5 year period and became dependent on them. This dependence necessitated medical detox in January of 2004.

As part of the detox protocol, naltrexone was prescribed in a 25mg dose once a day, orally for a period of 9 months. During this time I was symptom free of the rls and assumed that the rls symptoms were associated more with the opiates prescribed for back pain and withdrawal from them each evening. After the 9 months I started to taper off
the naltrexone. When I was taking less than 12.5mg (a 50mg pill divided in 1/4s) I started to have rls symptoms again. When I resumed a 12.5mg daily dose the rls symptoms resolved.

Recently I was away from home on a business trip for a week. I had forgotten to take the naltrexone for a couple of days previous to the trip, so I decided to try to stop the dosage. I do not often notice the
symptoms, though I think my sleep is disturbed. When I returned home my wife said the symptoms were severe and I took the 12.5mg and slept that evening without symptoms.