Is pounding/racing heart a syptom of RLS?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Anonymous

Is pounding/racing heart a syptom of RLS?

Post by Anonymous »

Hey guys, I have RLS but I almost always wake up in the middle of the night with a racing heart that keeps me up. I just started Requip so I don't think its had time to kick in... anyone experiance this??Is it part of the RLS?? Its been happening for quite a while now.. its very frustrating! ugh!
Thanks guys.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Those may be palpitations, an arrhythmia, or tachycardia (and other things, too). They are very common in people in general. I have palpitations, my DH has an arrhythmia. I often notice mine most when I lay down to sleep, but they can happen at any time. They also come and go - sometimes I have them all the time for days, other times I go months without them.

They can be indicative of an underlying problem. Best you mention it to your doctor and he/she can determine the next best action. For me, I wore a Holter monitor for a couple of days and had a Doppler study done. They didn't find anything. They don't know what causes it, either. I do notice that if I haven't been eating anything sweet and I have something for dinner, that I am more likely to get them. But that is not always true.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Post by Guest »

Hi Pixie,

I am also new here and have RLS and have been experiencing the pounding racing heart. I'm not sure what causes it and when I mentioned it to my Dr. he just said, "hmmmm"!! The heart pounding actually scares me because it is so out of the ordinary for me. The more I post here and listen to myself the more I KNOW I have got to find another DR!!! I'm sorry, this probably doesn't help you at all. . .feeling a bit frustrated lately!

trevb

Post by trevb »

pixie , just to clarify, have the palpitations started SINCE the start of requip?
if so you need to get advice from your dr urgently as it may be a sideaffect of the meds. in any cases itd be good to catch up with your dr about this as viewsaskew has already suggested.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

they actually started before the requip.. for a few months now

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Pixie,

While you should have the doctor check this out to rule out any problems with your heart, it is a possibility that it could be related to hormone levels fluctuating due to - peri menopause or menopause - uncertain of your age. Especially since they are primarily at night. Don't have the link, and can't find the info at the moment, but that was one of my problems with peri/menopause...

I had a partial hyst in 1983 and was clueless when it happened to me! You can email me at ksxroads@access-one.net if you want to discuss menopause! I promise no horror stories!

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Before I was diagnosed, I had those. Real bad ones while I was in my car driving to see my family in WI.

When I got back, I told doc and he gave me an EKG. They only take a minute or two.

Thank God nothing wrong with my ticker!!!!

Just have one done anyway Pixie!! Please?

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

Re: Is pounding/racing heart a syptom of RLS?

Post by Guest »

[quote="pixie711"]Hey guys, I have RLS but I almost always wake up in the middle of the night with a racing heart that keeps me up.

have you had a glass or two or.. of red wine on those nights.?

I used to wake up occasionally with a racing heart. scary. and when I looked to see what was in common with those nights it was red wine. I've since stopped even having a glass and no more racing heart.

alyseeber

requip-heart racing

Post by alyseeber »

I had the same experince with requip one night really bad, I felt like I was on speed or something. It happend right when the doctor upped my dosage. They told me it was an allergic reaction and now I'm taking clonapin which sort of helps. Perhaps you haveing an allergic reaction. It's really not fun to experience that. Hope things are going better for you

vi0613

medications

Post by vi0613 »

:roll: Hi everyone. I have RLS too. I had it for many years before I was diagnosed. My family physician did not know what was causing my symptoms, so I did my own research. I finally discovered RLS is what I had, and made an appointment with a neurologist. He only had 4 other patients with this condition besides myself. He prescribed Mirapex, which is a medication used on people who suffer from Parkinson's disease. I get palpitations too, and racing heart sometimes. It is very scary.