Lyrica (Pregabalin)

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Thank you C - it is capsule form. The doctor wants me to take one in the morning and one in the afternoon along with the Ultram.

After some thought I decided I will leave off the Ultram so I can determine how I am responding to the Lyrica. Fortunately for me the last few days have been fairly stable.

Thanks for info on halving the meds, I did not see anywhere saying it was timed release etc, so halving the capsules should not be a problem and you all ready have experience with this, thanks again for sharing. I have read the comments at remedyfind.com and a few other sites majority say it gives one an energy *boost*, a few say it makes them drowsy. Only one or two have come back to report after a few months useage, so info is fairly limited in scope. Will see where I fall... Took my first dose just now, will see how it goes.

It is encouraging that most say it helps with sleep. Is that related to the reduction in pain or does it induce stage 3/4 sleep? Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Update on Lyrica -

Took 1 75mg capsule 10AM

Within an hour I felt very lathargic, drugged and clumsy. While it dulled the RLS sensations to a degree, it did dull the pain but it did not stop the pain. Did not want to take Ultram, so I just went through the rest of the day to see when it would wear off.

At 5pm I was still pretty lathargic/drugged feeling, but less clumsy. Stopped at pharmacy asked if this medication could be used as needed or did I need to work up the dose! Of course like all meds, they say if you keep at it side affects lessen over a period of time.

She suggested I take 1 at bedtime at least for a week till my tolerance improved.

I have a fairly active evening routine, farm chores, etc so I am not sedintary by no means. After being outside etc. I felt less drugged and was able to do physical activity without feeling clumsy, still had the *pain* factor.

Took the loratab at bedtime. Fall to sleep. At 2:30am I wake with full body RLS sensations. Not nearly as intense as when I was prescribed the Elavil. Yet it was so bad that I could not get back to sleep. I took another Loratab 5.

Sleep was fairly elusive, as the sensations did not quit till around 11AM. I took my morning Ultram at 6.

Doctor suggested taking 1 Lyrica at bedtime... Not wanting to risk another poor night of sleep, I did not take one last night.

In a quandry. Could test this med this weekend and know for certain that my rls will worsen. Yet Honestly I don't see the reason of adding another med on a daily basis. Lyrica is known to reduce neuropathy and has helped fibro.

I am diagnosed with fibro, though not with diabetic nuropathy. I believe it is the doctors contention that on those days I have the *break through* fibro pain, the Lyrica will reduce this.

It is a new medication, with no long term observations. It has shown to cause tumors in rats, but no link to human tumors as yet.

Maybe I am reaching for validation, that no I don't want to risk using this medication (for fibro I think that was his aim was) at this point since it might aggravate the RLS.

Has anyone else used Lyrica for any length of time successfully? I went to remedyfind.com and most posts there were for initial use. Mostly favorable. A couple negative reports.

Just for the record this post is... *Big Grin*

Boy did I row yesterday and kick up lots of Hope! Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Hazel, I really and truly think you cannot judge after having taken it once or twice. Lyrica, like Neurontin, has to be taken a few weeks before it's full potential is reached. The feeling of lethargy will wear off, like with Neurontin, but of course not with all of us. I personally know of 1 person that has been using it for some time now (1 year) and she is pleased with it. I don't think it can aggravate RLS, but am not sure. You have to take into account that when you "mess around" with your meds, e.g. don't take the same ones/amounts every day, this will most likely aggravate your RLS. I don't say you have been doing that, but if so, take that into account. Using these chemicals is a sort of balancing act my neuro told me once.

Anyway, don't let me tell you what to do!

Corrie

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hazel

You can have neuroathy and not be diabetic. You may know this, but wanted to make sure. I have periphernal neuropathy (ideopathic). Many people I know who have PN are not on Lyrica and seem to be having great results, but it did take awhile--as Corrie said--for Lyrica to reach its full potential.

I have had a qeustion as to whether Lyrica would exacerbate RLS, also. I do know many of these people I know prefer Lyrica over Neurontin. But, I'm just relaying the opinions and experience of the people I know. I haven't taken either drug.

Please let us know how Lyrica effects your RLS, if you decide to continue to use it. I've very interested.

Thanks!
Jannie
No one is alone who had friends.

rbaltes

Just started Lyrica myself...

Post by rbaltes »

The day before yesterday my doctor started me on Lyrica, 50mg tablets 3 times a day. At the same time, she told me to stop taking the Requip that was making me kind of sick. That night, after I had taken the first two of the pills, I had RLS symptoms worse than I'd ever had before, and was unable to get any sleep until the next night, when I once again took the Requip along with the Lyrica. I suspect my doctor is grasping at straws, but she has scheduled me to meet with a neurologist next month.
Ray

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ray, how long were you on the Requip? Forgive my memory, but I can't remember what you said in your prior posts :oops:

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Thanks for all the input. Have had some trouble finding this post! Fibro Brain fog!

Honestly I was leary to continue the Lyrica since I had a reoccurance of the rls sensations at bedtime even with the lortab. Have not taken Lyrica since. I will give it another try. I had not taken the ultram during the day as my symptoms were not very active and manageable. That is why I had started the Lyrica, it was a good time to try something without combining it with the other med even though the dr said that should be no problem. I could deal with the tiredness, and will take the suggestion of the pharmacist to take it at night.

The only variance in my daily routine when I took the Lyrica was to not take the Ultram during the day. My diet, water intake, activity levels were the same. I took the lortab at my usual bed time... The nightly sensations were much less the following night and gone within three days.

The doctor is prescribing Lyrica for the fibro not for the rls. I'll keep you posted...

Ray, I hope that you can find some answers! Ann is a good one to consult!

rowing with the others! Hazel

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

FTR

Took the Lyrica again, at bedtime with my regular medications and had no rls sensations. Corrie, I think you were right in your statement about adjusting meds, I did not take my normal daily medication the first time, which probably contributed to the RLS sensations.

Upon waking I did not have any excessive drowsiness. So taking the Lyrica at night would be better for me!

Hazel

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Hazel, I told you so! (hehe). I hope it will keep working for you a long, long time without bad side-effects like sleepiness or brain fog.

Corrie

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Thank you Corrie, me too!

Rowing with the others! Hazel

Bluelens

Post by Bluelens »

I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

I finally (after much prodding by my wife) went to the neuro (which I found listed here on rls.org) and talked to him about my symptoms. The final outcome was rls and unlar neuropathy. He wanted me to try Lyrica and see what happens.

The Rx was for 100mg - once a day (before bed) for a week and then twice a day (again before bed). When I left the office they gave me a sampler which was 50mg along with the same instructions (1 for a week and then 2). I have been able to sleep without having the jerks or rubbing my legs. I also have only had three episodes in my legs (instead of the 3-4 times a week) for the past few weeks. The first episode happened just before it was time to increase the dosage so I am attributing it to that.

He is keeping me on the Lyrica and since I am not having difficulty waking in the morning* (relatively speaking, I am not a morning person) he said to stay at the 100mg per night.

So far so good.

Sorry to hear others aren't having the same luck with it as I am.

Joshua

*I have a friend that gave me the advice to make sure I got 7-8 hours of sleep after taking it or else. I did one night where I didn't get enough sleep (probably 5-6) and I felt groggy all day long.
Why not check out my:
photoblog ->Bluelens.net
or my
portfolio site ->JMHoover.com

Lyrica

Post by Guest »

I have been taking Lyrica 150 mg. tablets three times a day plus one tablet of Requip at night and 100 mg. Seroquel. This seems to help my RLS ever since I got off the Mirapex. Once in a while my legs bother me but most of the time I feel great and I sleep really well! (Can't imagine why with all the drugs I am taking. . . but if it works, I'm not knocking it!)I have been taking Lyrica since January 2006 and so far so good. Cindy

charris49

Lyrica

Post by charris49 »

I wasn't logged in! I just sent the message about taking Lyrica but was listed as a guest. Cindy

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

I am so glad that you have found some relief of your RLS, Cindy and Joshua. Makes a vast improvement in the quality of life we live doesn't it! So happy that this is working for you and I know others will be helped by the information you have shared!

Thanks, Hazel

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

OK. I posted this over there in RLS General...then went on to find this Thread.

Started Lyrica today.
I've been having so much pain in my feet and legs that it's all I can think about. When I'm at work I am constantly looking for a place or a way to sit down for a few and take the pressure off my feet...but to tell you the truth it doesn't help that much. Not very good for a mechanic who needs to be on his feet, but thank God I've been driving a Dump and a Tractor the last few days so it's helped. This pain has taken over. I can get no relief till I take my Vicodin at night. Even when I'm relaxing it feels like I'm standing on knife blades. This along with my RLS and RLS pain...I'm having it pretty rough right now. It didn't help that I worked last week...sixteen hours on Tues, thirteen on Wed. and sixteen on Thurs.
I went to the Orthopedic Doc today. I thought maybe he could make me some of those insoles to relieve that pain. He told me that although I do have high arches, they are not high enough to be causing this kind of pain. He said he feels that my problem is Neurological and not Foot Structure, that it's all tied in with my RLS. He tapped me below the ankle with his little mallot and it felt like an electrical charge, also he was sticking me in the foot with some kind of point, one sharp point and then two sharp points. I couldn't tell the difference. He says I've lost some feeling in my feet.
So... he is testing me for some kind of Neuropathy. He also wants to test me for Diabetes, which I'm quite sure I don't have.

So...we'll see how Lyrica does. I hope it doesnt make me too foggy cause to tell you the truth, I'm always sort of foggy.
But I'll take a little Fog over this pain. It's 24/7 and not getting any better.

Sorry for crying everybody. Sound like an old man...oh boy.