Does Ambien "knock out" anyone here?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Neco

Does Ambien "knock out" anyone here?

Post by Neco »

I guess a little background is in order, for the story.. I've been treating my RLS with narcotics for about a year or so now..

Oh well here we are nearly a year later, and naturally I've had to take a break or two from the VIcodin.. This time its been particularly rough, not so much I think because of the amount of medicine I was coming off of, but just because of the severity of my RLS :( It definitely seems to have progressed the entire time, which sucks...

Anyway I have tried different things.. Sinemet becomes unbareable after only a few days usage, and Requip doesn't seem to help much at all (I wake up multiple times).. I'm just as tired the next day as if I hadn't slept at all. Sunday until today has actually felt like one entirely long day =\ Like I said to the doctor, it feels embarrassing to say it, but it feels likes narcotics are the only thing that relieve my RLS problems..

Today I was given some Ambien to try, and am to report back tomorrow.. They seem willing to let me back on the usual meds if it doesn't work, but at this point I just hope it lets me sleep.. I need sleep! I have a hard enough life with no liscense, job, and trying to complete my HSGED, plus I get a double whammy from IBS... Sucks to be me :lol:

So whats was my questions? Oh yeah.... Has ambien helped anyone here, if not at least for a night or two ?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It does help me. But I'm drugged the next day. I'm also very sensitive to these type of meds. I've heard others say it doesn't help at all, though. So, like almost everything, it's very individual. Good luck.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Oh man, I slept like a ROCK !

I hope I can come to expect that kind of relief from it regularly, as I plan to use it more as a holiday from the Vicodin.. All I remember was feeling a little goofy, heading to bed, and the next time I woke up it was about 4 am or a little after.. So I got pretty much about 7 hours of sleep, definitely the most I've had in a while.

TxSongBird

Post by TxSongBird »

I take Ambien for a sleep disorder, but to be blunt, it doesn't always do the trick. Last night after taking my Requip, 500 mg Soma and .50 mg Xanad and 10 mg Ambien, it took me hours to get to sleep and I woke up off and on all night long. Sometime it works great, sometimes it doesn't faze me.

TxDonna
Donna

Neco

Post by Neco »

I can understand that. I was told to take regular breaks from it when possible. Makes sense with most any drug of this type I guess

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I've been on Ambien, after not sleeping for years, for about 3 weeks. I'm also on Mirapex, Klonopin, Gabitral (for neuropathy) and an occasional vicodin when the pain from the neuropathy is too severe.

Ambien helped a lot at first--I went right to sleep and slept like a rock. Now, I still go right to sleep, but I wake up a few times at night. However I don't stay awake. I'm able to fall back to sleep, which I couldn't do before.

I can see where the effectiveness of Ambien could lessen, though, if taken every single night. So far, it hasn't given me a drug hangover.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Ambien never even made me blink. I'd take it and watch the second hand go around the clock ... Just goes to show how we each respond differently to medications. Hazel

Kisster

Post by Kisster »

Ambien came out with an Ambien CR, which is the extended release formula. My doc described it as supposed to add 1-2 hours to what regular Ambien would give for sleep.

Anyway, I started on the Ambien and was able to get about 5-6 hours sleep a night. That dwindled to about 4 hours a night. So, I am now on the Ambien CR and back to 5-6 hours of sleep a night (without waking, I need my potty break and leg stretch break!).

I also have another sleep disorder, in addition to RLS. Besides the Ambien CR, I take Mirapex, Ferrous Sulfate, Topamax, and Provigil during the day.

HJHUNTINGTON

Post by HJHUNTINGTON »

I take the Ambien and have been on it for about 2 years. I can fall asleep within an hour usually, that is if the legs are not giving me fits. I do not stay asleep as I had hoped that I would when I started it. I do fall back to sleep more easily than before. I recently started the new Ambien and can get at max 4 hours at a time. That beats waking up every 2 hours. I also take the Mirapex.

Dave Fairley

What helps me and MY history with RLS.

Post by Dave Fairley »

I first had those unusual sensations which I've now come to know as 'RLS' about 3 years ago. I have all the symptoms of the disease, but it's only in my left arm currently. It all started in my torso, moved to my right arm and then has stayed in my left...never in my legs...yet. It started when I worked the night shift at the hospital and tried to sleep during the day. Like most people I'm a poor sleeper and use Benedryl to help me out, use to use I should say. I have found that Benedryl does in fact make the symptoms worse. After doing some asking I found out that my grandmother suffered from this disease and my aunt does as well, it's a family curse I guess. The ONLY things that helps me is Ultram 100mg, Ambien 5-10mg used together 30 min prior to sleep (Not Ambien CR). I also had a Vicodin RX for a pulled back muscle and didn't have RLS while on that medication. Come to find out that Ultram and Vicodin bind to the same receptor sites and work equally as well....Ultram is just not as habit forming as Vicodin. I find it hard to explain to people what this disease is like. The name RLS sugests that it's an annoying thing that is easily ignored...my own doctor even down played it. This disease is a living hell. People don't understand what it's like to try and go to sleep at 10:00 PM and finally achieve sleep at 6:00 AM... I can't think of anything worse that sleep deprivation, it has been proven to drive you insane (sleep deprivation that is...not RLS) The way I have come to explain this disease is like this;
The RLS sensation is like holding your breath for as long as you can until you have to take a breath... nothing else matters... you have to take that breath or you die. With RLS you can't ignore the sensation EVER you have to move, in my case, your arm by reaching up high or punching the air, shrugging the shoulder and extending tha arm.... you must move there is no other option.
Sorry to be so wordy, but that's my story. I hope this helps some of you... good luck and sleep well.

Dave Fairley
Delray Beach FL.