Xanax anyone?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
bobby

Xanax anyone?

Post by bobby »

Hi there. This is my first post here, and after almost 30 years of sleepless nights I feel I need to do something about it.

I haven't been diagnosed or receive medication yet, but I'm thinking I should. I've tried some different things to help me get a good night's sleep, like Lunesta, Ambien, etc., but the only thing that really seems to work is Xanax.

I don't actually have a prescription for any of those, just "borrowed" a few pills from my parents and wife here and there. I just saw a commercial for Requip and searched it online and ended up here.

Sooo, after that lengthy introduction, my question is this - how expensive is Requip compared to Xanax? And does anyone have enough experience with both to tell me pros/cons to each?

From what I've read, it seems like Requip has a lot of side effects, and requires multiple visits to the doctor to rev up the dosage. Seems to me a prescription for Xanax would be easier, but I thought I'd ask here before I pursue either of these options.

Thanks for any insight!
Bobby

trevb

Post by trevb »

welcome... sounds like you do need to do something!
im no expert on meds so ill let others reply to this. but just to say hi and hope you find something that allows you to finally sleep!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Bobby,

There is a lot of great info to help you make up your mind about what to take. You might want to start here - it's a 'sticky' thread in the New to RLS? section of the board.

http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1068

If you go to the second post in this thread, you'll find information about lifestyle that may help you reduce your RLS without drugs. In the first thread, click on Links to Educate and Inform. This will take you to many sites that provide great information. They are all titled. Good ones for drugs include the RLS algorithm and the So Cal Support Group.

Basically, there are 4 classes of meds used to treat RLS. Requip is a Parkinson's med and a dopamine agonist. There are several others in the same class, but Requip and Mirapex are the two most commonly prescribed. This class seems to be the most effective for people, although 20% can't tolerate or take them. Xanax is a benzo. This class is commonly prescribed, but not necessarily the most effective. This class is also highly addictive and long-term use may be problematic for some people. About 50% of people that take it for over 3 months have trouble stopping it.

Requip costs more the Xanax, I would think. There is a generic in the US. Mirapex is another option, but also is expensive (and there is a generic in the US). Expense often is not what determines what we take. What works is. There are a lot of drugs that are used for RLS - 30 or more. But none of them work for all of us. So, it's trial and error to find the ones that do. The benzos don't work well for me. Neither do the DAs or the anti-seizures. But the opioids do. I saw some stats last night that said the opioids word for about 65%. So, although the DAs work for 80%, I'm not in that 80%, but am in the 65% of the opioids.

Another part of what we take is based on our doctor and what he or she will prescribe! Just because we want a particular thing doesn't mean that we get it! You may need to do a lot of research and take in some articles with you to do any convincing to get a particular thing.

Welcome! Hope you find some relief soon. Start with the lifestyle stuff - you might reduce it a little at the least so you can take less meds.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

bobby

Post by bobby »

Great, thanks very much for the info. I'll be sure to check out those links.

Bobby