Use of time-release narcotics

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rlsseattle

Use of time-release narcotics

Post by rlsseattle »

I am in my late 50's and have had RLS for at least 40 years. It has developed into 24/7, with the worst being at night, but also during sedentary periods.

I have tried Mirapex, Neurontin, Requip, etc. in all safe dosages

Fortunately, I have a doctor framiliar with pain control, and the ability of narcotics to suppress RLS symptoms. Doctor says research shows that long-term use of low dose time release opioids does not result in addiction.

I have been on time-release morphine for several years, with no problems. I suffer NO problems, except for occasional constipation, which fiber, lots of water and exercise control. I am a professional for whom being alert and having the ability to concentrate is important, and I drive a lot. No problems with either, except relief of symptoms allows me to perform normally.
Last edited by rlsseattle on Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
A lifetime of the joy of RLS.

Neco

Post by Neco »

You may want to ask you doctor about Oxycontin.. I can't remember which it was specifically but I think one of them is supposed to be time released, or at least have a very long duration of action..

Actually, this page here will list a lot of drugs used to treat RLS, so maybe you will find what you are looking for

http://www.rlshelp.org/rlsrx.htm

rlsseattle

Use of Time-Release narcotics

Post by rlsseattle »

Thanks for the reply. You are correct about the oxy-conotin. Probably any narcotic would do the trick.

The point I was trying to make in the post is that of all the treatments I read about here (and those I tried personally) narcotics seem to be the best. But there is so much resistance among doctors for fear of abuse and addiction. I was urging people to talk to their doctors about this method and quit messing around with all these other less-than-adequate solutions. Narcotics can be safely used under controlled circumstances, such as time-release.

The advantage of the time-release is less chance of addiction and no "high" associated with it, as well as a constant level of relief, which is good for one who has 24/7 rls or needs all-night medication.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

As you have discovered the treatment of RLS is so individualized. For those of us who have problems using or have no relief of syptoms from the first two tiers of the Mayo Clinic guidelines, find that opiods do help.

How fortunate you are to have a doctor who understands the importance of pain management! There is no high, unless one would consider the feeling of well being and a sense of normalacy as a high... That is the quality of life experience I search for! *Big Grin*

Thank you for sharing, Hazel

rfish1966

Narcotics

Post by rfish1966 »

All of my doctors were resistant to the idea, but I finally found one that approved and have been sleeping well ever since.