Requipe + Codeine

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
papajosh

Requipe + Codeine

Post by papajosh »

I'm 25 years old and have had RLS as long as I can remember. I'm currently going to a doctor who is little more than aware of RLS, and I recently requested being switched from Sinemet to Requip because of some augmentation/rebound problems with Sinemet (and I didn't want to increase my dose for a third time in 3 years). Since I've started Requip, I've noticed it controls my symptoms better than Sinement did (I was taking Sinemet three times a day whereas I'm taking Requip once before bed time). However, being on a 1mg dose, I've noticed that Requip knocks me out about 45-60 minutes after I take it and makes me drowsy constantly. I can't be knocked out constantly from this, as I'm 25 with two very hyper children!

I requested that my doctor knock my dosage down to .5mg/day, to which he obliged. Unfortunately, this barely controls my symptoms - I have frequent breakthrough problems throughout the day and during the night. I recommended trying to supplement the requip with a low-dosage opioid for the bad days, to which he was extremely reluctant.

From what I've read, opioids are an excellent treatment for periodic problems with fewer side effects than any other RLS drug (including requip, which i'm liking less and less every day). Am I wrong in my assesment of opioids or should I pressure my doctor more/seek out a doctor who's more educated or willing to listen to my recommendations? I'm a fairly educated person and have no history of drug addicitions. I just want to feel normal again!

rfish1966

Requip

Post by rfish1966 »

I went thru the same thing, and finally got taken off requip and I am taking codeine only at night and I feel wonderfull, most daytime symptoms have gone away.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome, Papajosh. No, you're right, but most docs just don't like the opioids. You might get him to try you on Ultram, taking a 'drug holiday' from it every month or so. I think Corrie is the knowledge queen about drug holidays. Since Ultram is synthetic, he might be more willing. Or, you could see if he would try an opioid for 5 days a week, off two. This will prevent tolerance and dependence. Addiction is extremely rare when taking them at low doses and for RLS, but they are so scared of the DEA and addiction.

If you can't convince him, then you may have to switch. I've had 9 doctors since last November. I found one to stay with in April. It can be that hard, so switching isn't always effective unless you can switch until your needs are met. And then you could be prosecuted for drug seeking! So, be careful. I'm not saying not to do it, I obviously did. Just be careful and know the risks.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

papajosh

Post by papajosh »

Ann,

Thanks for the info. I'm not even seeking a regular dosage of codein. Simply something to supplement the requip when problems do occur (probably 3-4 times a week?). One of the most frustrating things is being treated with such suspicion when I've studied this problem more than my own doctor...and based on our last visit it was apparent to both of us that I knew more about it than he did. He didn't even know Mirapex was another solution...requip was simply a knee-jerk prescription because it's the only "sanctioned" RLS drug. I'm not saying the Requip is worthless, as it does help a lot...It's just frustrating in general.

Josh