Methadone rebound effect

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
cz

Methadone rebound effect

Post by cz »

Hi, I've used Darvon for five years, and now Methadone for one year. I would like to know from any others using this treatment or a similar treatment, if they have experienced a rebound effect, (increase in severity of symptoms due to decreased dosage) while attempting to take a drug holiday, or just to see if the RLS has mysteriously disappeared.If so, what symptoms do you feel? How long were you "off" medication? Are you ever confused about whether you are experiencing your RLS or just having withdrawal symptoms? Comments from all appreciated, thanks.:?:

jumpyowl

Hello, cz:

Post by jumpyowl »

I just asked you a question on the other thread you contributed (idiot doctors).

Now I know the answer. :) And this is an answer I have been courting over my comparatively short experience (as compared to yours, definitely).

I am seeing more and more cases, especially when the "logical" drugs (dopamine agonists, anticonvulsants) do not work or have bad side effects, where what saves the days is opioids. It is too bad that they have such a bad reputation that doctors are set dead against them. And their side effects do not even begin to compare to the potential bad side effects of the "mind-altering" drugs. :shock:

If you have the time and energy, please read the latter part of my thread (Self-diagnosed) where I am wondering out visibly (not loud) the strange and different ghost pain I am having after neurontin or after opioids.

Again I would like to invite you to read my poll post on General Topics. You could be a great potential distributor! (unfortunately, for you!) :oops:
Jumpy Owl

Lovechild3113

Post by Lovechild3113 »

I was wondering why they would put you on methadone foe RLS? Does it work? What exactly is it and what are the common symptoms? Please respond.

Jamie
Lovechild3113@aol.com
Jamie Wilderman

kjneill

i know all about the effects of methadone

Post by kjneill »

hi, this is kathy , i am a new member, but i have been on methadone for 3 yrs, i went off of it one time to try different medications and i would have rather been dead. i know that you get completly immune and need more, but honestly everyone is different and for me nothing else works, i don't feel the medication anymore so if i start to get that feeling or start the cold chills which i know is due to withdrawls i hurry and take it, the thing is where so i go from here....... so many doctors are so clueless, i thought i was the only one in the world that had this so bad, i will say one thing, after takeing narcotics, unless they find a true solution, nothing else will ever work, i have went to the er several times and doctors treat me bad when i tell them what i take, but they are commpletly ignorant of this problem, i now have a new doctor to deal with that doesn;t want to keep prescribing and i am scared and stressed which makes my legs so much worse, this is a small town with very few doctors and i feel like no one will take me serious, but back to the topic, you would have horrible withdrawls, and the rls is worse without methadone, i try not to miss a dose because i know that my body can't work without it now, and that is the sad thing, i never really knew what addiction was, there has to be someone that can help us and especially believe us. i'm glad i found this site so i could talk to other people, i feel like i'm crazy :?

kjneill

what methadone is

Post by kjneill »

methadone is synthetic haroine, i did't know that and why it works so well i don't know but with it i feel like a normal person, i have no side effects at all, other people that don't have a high tolerance get kind of dizzy or sick at first

Lovechild3113

Lovechild

Post by Lovechild3113 »

I know how you feel. I moved here to Ohio from Florida to a small town with only a few doctors, who know nothing about RLS. I was on Kadian in Florida. It is like moriphine. I was scared to death when the doctor here told me that he would not prescribe that. I felt like he was an jerk and if only he knew how bad this RLS is, but anyway he put me on Ultram. He didn't even want to put me on that. Come on doctors. I know that narcotics are addicting, but we don't care, we just want to be comfortable. Thankfully the Ultram has worked. I am sorry you are having to go through all of this. God bless.

Jamie W
Jamie Wilderman

kjneill

I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE SO MUCH FOR JUST BEING HERE

Post by kjneill »

I AM SO GLAD TO HAVE SOME COMFORT KNOWING I CAN TALK ABOUT THINGS AND SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS AND IS KIND ENOUGH TO SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCES, I TOLD MY HUSBAND, HE IS WONDERFUL BUT DOESN'T UNDERSTAND, HE JUST WANTS TO BE ABLE TO SLEEP ALL NIGHT, I WILL VISIT EVERY CHANCE I GET, EVERYONE HANG IN THERE!!!

Andreas

Drugs

Post by Andreas »

I have used Methodone for 5 years now, your body sadly can get use to it, Well mine does.So you have to go up in amount every year or less.Once in a bad forgetful moment I took twice the nights amount which was an overdose, nothing could really be done to pump the stuff out so it was a scary next 12 hours or so! Anyway I was already on a high amount yet still were in a bad way with RLS even with twice the Methodone plus 12 other drugs in my system for the next 12 hours.What I'm trying to say is that with twice the presribed amount I was still in a lot of pain etc.In my "Hello I'm from New Zealand" letter on the "new to RLS" topic board, I write about a drug I'm revisiting to get away from this drug or at least lower its amount.Doctors have told me over and over again that as long as the methodones being used in a pain condition fully ,you won't get addicted.
Karl.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hi Karl.

Yanno, that scares the heck out of me! The getting addicted. I have been a first hand victim of what addiction can do and I don't want to be that person!!! :cry:
So, right now, FOR now anyway, I'm taking .75 mg of Requip and two 625 mg pills of Arthritis strength Tylenol.

Now, I just have to figure out this God awful sweating.... it's still been in the 40s at night, I have my fan running CONSTANTLY (I need the hum to get lulled to sleep) and still, drenched....any thoughts???

Loves
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

andras

hi!

Post by andras »

Yes sleeps a big problem! I also have been through the sweats, not nice.I hated going out and having people see me with sweat pouring off and coming home to shower/get into dry cloths :lol:
Lots of the meds I take, like the meth make me sleepy. However I have sleep apnoea which doesn't help either.I really feel for you.Do take no coffee/tea etc after 5pm and try to stay busy and read late too , it helped me.
Karl.