RLS & Trazodone

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
KITTEN

RLS & Trazodone

Post by KITTEN »

My husband has had RLS ever since he can remember (he's 27). A couple months ago he was diagnosed as being bipolar. As part of his treatment that includes therapy, Paxil & Depakote....he was also prescribed Trazodone for his difficulty sleeping. Trazodone is also used as a mood stabilizing drug. He started out with a 50 mg dosage which was not enough. He currently takes 200 mg each night. Before now he constantly complained of being too hot almost all the time. Possibly heat caused by his RLS. (I don't know) But now he says it feels like icy tendrils moving down his legs after he takes the drug. He actually sleeps through the night with no fan and without waking me up too!!
I hope this may be able to help someone.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hmm, that is interesting. I haven't used any of those drugs, but I have a similar hot/cold story. I have always been on the warm side, until I started Mirapex. Every night, within 2 or so hours after I would take it, I would freeze! I would go to bed while shivering. We would pile blankets on top of me and it would take an hour or more to warm up. At night, when I would wake up, I would wake up a trifle warm, and within 30 seconds I would be boiling! I could never fall back to sleep unless I got cold again. Initially that only took a couple of minutes outside the covers. As time went by, it would take me up to 1/2 hour to cool off, during which I couldn't fall asleep!

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I can relate to you two. I am on the warm side too, but from the moment I started DA's it changed on certain instances. Before I go to bed I take a boiling hot shower, but while I shower and when I am in bed I am shivering all the time. And yes, when I wake up in the middle of the night I am hot.
Well, we have to put up with so many weird side-effects (sigh)

Corrie

KITTEN

RLS & Trazodone

Post by KITTEN »

My husband has also done hot showers, hot baths, cold baths....it might work once, but usually it won't work two nights in a row.

I am now trying to set him up with my chiropractor who can take a more holistic approach. He is now suffering from severe migraines and he is quickly becoming a walking pharmaceutical lab. You can't go through the rest of your life like that without creating new problems. I'll post the outcome whether it helps or not.

I wish everyone good luck.