Prozac

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
kahndee

Prozac

Post by kahndee »

How soon after stopping prozac should one start experiencing changes?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Kahndee, what kind of changes? In mood, RLS, or side effects?

I hope you tapered off of it slowly - I think unless you have only been taking it for a few days or so, you need to stop it slowly. You probably already know all that, but just in case, thought I'd mention it.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

kahndee

Post by kahndee »

I know it takes 7 weeks to get out of your system. I was thinking about changes in the RLS. The first day I didn't take it I was able to tolerate working with very few problems.

I can't taper off because I was on the lowest dose to begin with.

Thanks for you help.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

As long as you are feeling well having stopped it, that's all that counts. Just for reference to anyone else tapering off a med at the lowest dose, if the med has a long half-life, you can switch to taking it every other day before stopping it completely, then every three days if necessary.

Boy, I don't know how long it would take to stop affecting the RLS, but would think it would be relatively quick. But if it takes 6 weeks to get out of your system (wow, that is long), then maybe you won't see a complete effect for awhile. It has to do with how the SSRI interrupts your brain's 'normal' creation and use of serotonin and dopamine. Once it normalizes, the RLS will abate some. It may not completely go away, unless the RLS was completely caused by the SSRI.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.