What other meds are out there???

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pam135

What other med's are out there for RLS?

Post by pam135 »

My name is Pam I am not able to tolerate med's very well extremely sensitive to med's! My doctor can't understand I am concerned about the side effects! Has anyone ever had an attack while driving..what I mean by that is going into a blackout from side effect from Mirapex?

Please help me I have not been able to sleep for 2 and half weeks. Purely, exhausted!
I was told not to concern myself with the side effects of the med's>
Sincerely, Pam

Chelle

Post by Chelle »

My dad has been suffering with rls for many years and his doctor started him on Requip. At first it was no help but he put him on a higher dose yesterday and dad slept the entire night last night. First time in years. As far as I know he has not had any side effects.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Pam,

Can you tell us exactly what you've taken, how much of it, and what happened with each of the meds? That may help us better identify what you could try.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It is extremely hard to be without sleep for so long.

Another thing to try, while waiting for individual responses, is to read the 'sticky' posts in the New to RLS? section of the board. There is a lot on medications.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pam135

Med's used so far for RLS

Post by pam135 »

Ann, hello I have only been on one med for a very long time. The name is Mirapex 0.25mgs. I am guessing I have been taking it approx. 8months or so... Now, today my doctor decided to try Requip same dosage for 1wk and then 2 pills at hs the second week, and then up to 3 pills on the 3rd week. I am extremely sensitive to med's. I also have what it called Cleidocranial dysplasia. This is a genetic condition I was born with I am trying to get a CCD conference together in 2007 here in Chicago. I have many, many medical problems! Have had for years. But, this don't mess with my sleep!!
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Sincerely, Pam Miotke

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Pan, what happens when taking the Mirapex - does it work at all, what side effects, etc? Have you started to take the Requip, yet, or are you waiting to make a decision as to whether you should take it? And, have you taken any other meds for the RLS, even for a short while, that you stopped taking because of side effects?

I am also very sensitive to meds and usually need to take less than the next person to get the same effect. I also often experience side effects.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rlsseattle

what other meds are out there?

Post by rlsseattle »

I took Mirapex for a couple of months--not only did it keep me from sleeping, but during the day I had sleep attacks. I don't mean getting sleepy and having to stop doing driving and pull over or anything like that.

I mean driving and all of a sudden jerking my eyes back open and having an overwhelming disorientation and inability to stay awake. Very close to narcolepsy, if not actually that.

After a few of these, I had to go off. I use ms-contin, low dose continuous release morphine. No side effects, complete relief. The doctors at the hospital where I get my treatment say the low-dose continuous release does not produce a "high" absolutely true, and much less chance of addiction.

Good luck. I went through eveything getting here. Now, as long as I follow my regimen carefully (including regular meetings with the doctor and a narcotics contract) I have no symptoms at all--and they were horrible--full body involvement and serious leg pain.

HJHUNTINGTON

Post by HJHUNTINGTON »

Hi Pam, I sure know how you feel. I have been on 4 a day o Mirapex .25 for a couple of years and also Ambien to help with sleeping. My doctor switched me to Requip in late Oct. I was up to 8 pills of the .625 per day. It just did not do the trick and I am just now back on the MIrapex. Have never had problems that others seem to have with nausea or being sleepy in the day time. I would think if you started on low doses of the medicatiion, you might find it would work. I sure hope so. Nothing worse than the RLS and not sleeping.
Good luck

pam135

Requip for Rls

Post by pam135 »

Hello, everyone currently I am taking Requip for RLS. I told my doctor I wasn't comfortable with the side effects of Miraplex. I asked him if there was something else I could try... He mention Requip 0.25mg at bed time.up to 3 or 4 pills. I am currently just taking 0.25mg. 1 at bedtime. he again told me not to be too concerned with the side effects of medication. Because, most of the med's side effects read the same. He also started me on Ferrous Sulphate low dose 325mg. He tells me being deficient in Iron could attribute to the sleep problems I am having. I did take some of the iron pills but, I started to become constipated! I am still having trouble falling asleep before 11:00p 12:00a and so on....
I am due to see my doctor at the end of the month! It will be interesting!!
Sincerely, Pam