Side effects: Add Yours to Create a Complete List

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thought that some might benefit from this being at the top.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Ropinerole

Post by ViewsAskew »

While this did not happen to me, I thought this was too important not to include in here.

From the link, "We suggest that ropinirole, like all other dopaminergic agents, be used with caution in psychotic patients and those vulnerable to psychosis."

Here is the link: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/con ... /163/3/547

And in case there is a problem getting to it, here is the text:

"Psychosis Related to Ropinirole
ELENA PEREA, M.S., BRIAN V. ROBBINS, M.D. and BURTON HUTTO, M.D.
Chapel Hill, N.C.
To the Editor:

The dopamine receptor agonist ropinirole, an effective initial therapy for mild to moderate Parkinson’s disease, has also been recently indicated for the treatment of restless legs syndrome. Ropinirole has a high affinity for all dopamine D2 subfamily receptors and shows highest affinity for the D3 receptor subtype (1). Studies have suggested it has antidepressant qualities in Parkinson’s disease and treatment-resistant depression, and at least two cases of mania have been documented (2, 3). To our knowledge, there have been no reports of cases of psychosis related to the use of ropinirole until now.

Ms. A was a 44-year-old woman with a family history of schizophrenia and a 1-year history of depression who was admitted to the hospital with acute psychotic symptoms, including paranoid delusions, disorganized thoughts, and auditory and visual hallucinations. Her affect was blunted. She had been given a prescription for ropinirole 1 week before admission for restless legs syndrome. Upon admission, the ropinirole was discontinued. Quetiapine and citalopram were prescribed. Within 3 days, Ms. A’s paranoia had improved. Her thought process had become more organized and logical, and her affect had brightened. Her sleep ranged from 7 to 9 hours throughout the hospitalization. She improved steadily each day until her discharge 6 days after admission.

In clinical trials, the dopamine agonist ropinirole has produced hallucinations and confusion rated as mild (4). We provide evidence here that ropinirole may induce or exacerbate severe, acute psychosis in a patient without Parkinson’s disease. This case is not conclusive in part because of the use of quetiapine. However, the rapidity and degree of improvement weigh in favor of a strong role for ropinirole, and the likelihood of such an effect with this medication stands to reason. Given the recognized relationship of dopaminergic function to psychosis, best known through the strong antipsychotic effects of dopamine antagonists, such an effect of exacerbating psychosis by a dopamine agonist seems almost predictable. We suggest that ropinirole, like all other dopaminergic agents, be used with caution in psychotic patients and those vulnerable to psychosis.

References

Willner P: The mesolimbic dopamine system as a target for rapid antidepressant action. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 1997; 12(3 suppl):S7-S14
Singh A, Althoff R, Martineau RJ, Jacobson J: Pramipexole, ropinirole, and mania in Parkinson’s disease (letter). Am J Psychiatry 2005; 162:814–815[Free Full Text]
Cassano P, Lattanzi L, Fava M, Navari S, Battistini G, Abelli M, Cassano GB: Ropinirole in treatment-resistant depression: a 16-week pilot study. Can J Psychiatry 2005; 50:357–360[Medline]
Schrag AE, Brooks DJ, Brunt E, Fuell D, Korczyn A, Poewe W, Quinn NP, Rascol O, Stocchi F: The safety of ropinirole, a selective nonergoline dopamine agonist, in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Clin Neuropharmacol 1998; 21:169–175[Medline]"

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Kristin

Post by Kristin »

I have only tried Requip, as I have finally recognized my symptoms as severe enough to act on them (although like many of you I have had RLS for a long time).

With Requip, I too have experienced augmentation. After about 7 p.m., I cannot sit still. Forget going to bed before 12 midnight either! Even with Requip! I also take a Valerian Root compound.

My dreams have never been awful, like some have shared. Rather they are fascinating, and keep me in their spell through most of the morning. I can't say it is not pleasant!

I also have experienced constipation, intense heartburn and stomach discomfort.

The worst thing yet is having my doctor double my dose (from 1 mg. daily, to four .5 mg. tablets daily), then going to the pharmacy and finding out that the price went from $43.43 to $196.00. !!!!! I had to walk out without any medication. I cannot afford that at all. (My ins. is a $1000 deductible). Now I feel inconsolable. I don't know what to do. Sometimes I just want to knock myself out.

Thanks to everyone who has shared and continues to!

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan again

I was re-reading this thread (in the middle of the night-- :cry: ) and wanted to add a couple of things since my first post.

I have not yet been to my neuro (due to several circumstances in which I had to reschedle my appontment), so I haven't spoken to him about getting off of Mirapex. But, I left one side effect out. I'm not sure if it's cause is Mirapex or something else, but I sometimes have auditory hallucinations. Do any of you ever experience such a thing? It's always at night (or, it seems that way, anyway). Sometimes, I'll "hear" a phone ring and it's so real to me that I will actually reach for the phone beside my bed, which wakes my husband up (I've probably been tossing and turning anyway) and he'll tell me the phone didn't ring. What I hear seems so real that I've ignored him and picked up the phone anyway, only to get the dial tone. I've heard loud "bangs", as if something big fell over in our house or was knocked over. It doesn't happen every night, but probably two or three times a month.

Also, I'm now off of Ambien. I was taking about 12 mg. nightly (I don't have the bottle in front of me, so I don't remember the exact dose). I had been taking it for at least 4 months--nightly. I was starting to become very depressed--crying over nothing and feeling hopeless. Ambien was also no longer helping me sleep. So, I quit "cold turkey", which I DON'T recommend to anyone. I experience some withdrawal (nausea, for one), but didn't seem to have a lot of problems. But, within a week of stopping the Ambien, I could tell that my mood was so much better--so could my family. I honestly feel like a weight has been lifted from me and I am no longer depressed.

I realize that medications effect people differently and many of you may be on Ambien and never suffer the same side effects I have--likewise with Mirapex. Just wanted to add this information to the thread.

Thanks.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Chambergal

Requip

Post by Chambergal »

This medication made me SO sick...about 5 minutes after taking a pill I would become very sick to my stomach - quit this routine after 2 weeks. The side affects are worse than my RLS! :cry:

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Jan,

from what I have read, Ambien is to be used short term. Then again my mind isn't all that clear lately!

Wish doctors would think about how they are prescribing medications more thoroughly. If it is to be used short term... and I would say four months exceeds that ... it should be short term... switching even if only temporarily to another medication, sooner.

I am so glad that you are feeling better. I never experienced the sounds which weren't there, just had problems getting the constant auditory sounds out of my head. A woman who runs the bookstore here in town, has been on Mirapex several years for RLS gets entire orchestras to perform in her bedroom. Her stories of hallucinations, talking to people who aren't there, gargoyles and such, heck I couldn't live with that.

So glad you are feeling better!

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Hazel

Yes, Ambien is usually used short term, but I know others who are on it for extended periods of time. My neuro had me on it for an extended period of time. However, I am sooooo glad I am off of it! I will never take it again. I know---never say "never", but I mean it. I cannot tell you how much better I feel.

Again, drugs effect everyone differently.

I haven't heard the phone "ring" when it wasn't ringing in quite awhile. I don't know if it's the Mirapex or it was the Ambien. It's so weird! I'm still on Mirapex--I'm in the middle of changing neurologists and will wait until I go to the new one before messing with my meds. Right now, everything is going on pretty well for me. I hope it continues. :D

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Susan Pollan

Mirapex

Post by Susan Pollan »

I have been taking Mirapex for over a year now. It seems to be the only drug that calms my legs down and keeps them calm overnight. But, I have been developing some complications that I believe are due to the Mirapex. Some dizziness during the day, general sense of weakness, trouble sleeping, headache, dry mouth (in the AM) and most troubling recently, muscle stiffness in my fingers, toes and ankles. Any suggestions on where to go form here?

Susan Pollan

Mirapex

Post by Susan Pollan »

Jan, I believe you mentioned you "hear" things from time to time at night--waking you up. I do too. I never associated it with medications I take, but I am quite certian it must be as I can never find the "source" of what made the sounds. It isn't usually a phone ringing, more like something heavy fell and made a load crash sound or thund. These medications are very scary and do cause me to be a bit concerned taking them. But I have no choice... Do I?

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Susan,

Have you checked the New to RLS section? There are several alternatives. Review the Mayo Clinic algorithm and the medications listed.

the link is http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1068

Have you ever had your ferritin levels checked? Ferritin levels lower than 50 (the body's storage of iron) can increase RLS sensations. You have to ask for this test as it is not part of the routine blood work. So it is possible that if you have low ferritin levels you would benefit from iron supplements.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Susan,

I thought your post might get lost in here, so started an new thread to you in this section.

Ann

Managing Your RLS

barbara38

Wellbutrin

Post by barbara38 »

According to my doctors, the Wellbutrin I was taking for RLS caused a seizure and stroke. I was completely out for 45 minutes. This was three years ago. I stopped the Wellbutrin immediately and have not had a seizure or stoke since. This is a dangerous side effect from Wellbutrin.

fujisan

side effects from sinemet and requip

Post by fujisan »

sinemet worked great for my RLS but after about a year, I developed serious nausea. Switched to requip and have no relief from RLS, very congested sinuses which now cause me to snore while my legs are jumping all over the bed. I am exhausted and getting concerned that I will now suffer from RLS without relief. My doc suggested I increase the dose of requip to 6 mg from 3 mg but my gut says this isnt a good idea.
Any suggestions? I think I might try preventing the nausea with dramamine and take sinemet again. I hate having to take meds but dont feel like I could live with RLS for the rest of my life....

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

There are many other meds to try. I am with you - 6 mg is an awful lot to take without good effects. I've heard one of the research doctors say that after you get to a certain point, increasing these drugs doesn't provide much additional help.

You could see if Mirapex worked better. Maybe your doctor could look at the Mayo Clinic'd algorithm for treating RLS. There is a link to it in the first post in this thread (toward the end of the first post):

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1068

It lists other possible choices.

Good luck - it surely is terrible to have your medicine stop working.

Ann

Managing Your RLS

side effects of meds

Post by guest »

my first med was miripex--I had no side effects and it worked well for approximately 8 months and then was no longer effective.
I was started on Requip with increasing dose x 4 weeks. I had very very unpleasent side effects starting my third week. These were confusion, memory loss, shakiness of arms, depression, all of these symptoms were very severe and started very quickly. I was taken off this med on a gradual basis and my symptoms disappeared.