Ultram

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jumpyowl

O yes it should!

Post by jumpyowl »

Dear guest!

You are completely right. Please tell us more.
:)
Could you provide some more info? even references or quotes?

I think that emotions should have nothing to do with such issues (and they often do :( ).

I do not find Ultram very helpful but possibly I am on a too low dose (50 mg 2x daily)

Could some latin experts provide a key or an explanation for the abbreviations doctors and pharmacist use to provide dose and frequency info in taking medications?
Jumpy Owl

sthomp66

Ultram

Post by sthomp66 »

I just joined this sight, so I'm now reading all the posts, old and new. I agree with the usage of Ultram. I've had restless legs since I was a child. My family and friends who would stay the night with me referred to my "crazy legs". Unfortunately for my best friend (who's 90lbs soaking wet) spent most of her time up in the air when spending the night with me. I would literally have to try to exhaust my legs by shaking them in bed before I could fall asleep, I've been known to be at the track at 2am trying to do so. The first time I sat in a hottub was the best nights sleep of my life. I was given Ultram for a back injury and found that it was a miracle for my legs. I've been on it for about 10 yrs now. I started with one pill twice a day and am now 2 pills three times a day. Some people however have horrible reactions to Ultram. My grandmother whose allergic to codeine took one when she hurt her hip and got violently ill, throwing up all night. My friend whose a pharmicist said that Ultram goes to the same receptors as codine which is why my grandmother had such a horrible reaction. I definitely think it worth a try for anyone with RLS. The only other drug my dr. has ever put me on was Mirapex, all it did was give me crazy nightmares (a plaid bull dog was chasing me) and it did nothing for my legs. As I've gotten older, the restlessness is in my arms too. Without Ultram, I'd probably be throwing my self off a building, I know this sounds extreme, but the feeling that RLS causes, literally could drive my crazy.

jumpyowl

Ultram

Post by jumpyowl »

It is missing from my thread that my last doctor for RLS, a neurologist with vast experience in this area had the opinion that Ultram was useless for RLS. And when I mentioned pain, she kept asking what pain?

She is right to the extent that there could be more than one type of pain. The first survey clearly demonstrated that on one of the graphs where frequence of both sensation and pain were plotted versus the locations of these sensations. There was a "frequency reversal." (I wish I could attach the graph).

My doc gave me Mirapex. I am now on that 3x a day 0.5 mg tablet each time. It is fine except once returning from the third trip in a row, no food, little sleep, and lots of stress -driving home (about 120 miles) I temporarily lost control of the car twice. Purposely, I ended up in the ditch at both times.

Not wanting to endanger anybody I stopped driving for a few days and halved the dose of Mirapex. As I started to eat and sleep again regularly even with the paresthesia returning I again could drive. Even when I returned to the previous dose level. of Mirapex.

Just a warning to everyone. The effect of drugs depends so much on one's condition and even on the mental and emotional state, so one has to be alert.

So when the Mirapex does not seem to be enough, instead of raising the dose, I again supplement it with the one I could always rely on, hydrocodone!

I received an automatic notice from the web site so I dropped by. Thanks everyone for the nice comments. This place will always feel like home! And I am not dropping the ball!

Cyberhugs to all my friends (((())))!
Jumpy Owl

ultram

Post by Guest »

Does this dr. have RLS? Useless? I don't get that. It completely takes away my crazy legs and arms. I consider myself to have a severe case of RLS, because without Ultram, I literally would be insane. Would your dr. not prescribe it at all? My dr. and my pharmacist both agree it's the least harm of all the RLS meds out there.

jan3213

HELLO JUMPY

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan

So glad to hear from you! I hope you're feeling more refreshed and I send my good wishes to your family!

Just wanted to tell you, in case you haven't heard, I've been diagnosed with fibro. So, now I REALLY know what your daughter has been going through! I think I put a question mark by the question about having fibro on the questionnaire because I thought I might have it. Anyway, thought you might be interested.

Also, I have had the same problem with Mirapex and driving. Scary, isn't it? Please be careful--we don't want anything to happen to you.

Have a wonderful holiday season and take care!

Fondly,

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

jumpyowl

Dear Guest!

Post by jumpyowl »

I just described the conversation between my neurologist and I. I am not saying that she is right. I myself could readily wean off of Hydrocodone and continue on Ultram so I do not think it is useless. Of course, she does not think I need Hydrocodone either.

Thank you for your opinion. It is very useful. RLS comes in many forms with various pains. For awhile I thought she had RLS but I am not at all certain now. Possibly she only has a mild form
Jumpy Owl

jumpyowl

To Jan:

Post by jumpyowl »

I did not see your post when I replied to guest.

What dose were you on when you had driving problems? What kind?

I had the feeling that the car is not obeying me but only periodically.

The best for the Holidays!
Jumpy Owl

lifejoy

Post by lifejoy »

Just wanted to give a quick comment that I had read before about Ultram. The articles said that ultram and darvon (both related in that they aren't opiods, yet they still have painkilling properties) can cause nerve damage after long-term use. I'd imagine that if you were to use this drug for a couple years you would be fine, but I'd worry that extended use past that would be cause for concern. Just something to consider..you always have to balance out good and bad. If I can find the link to those articles I'll post them on here. GOD BLESS

lifejoy

Post by lifejoy »

lol im sorry..i didnt realize that someone had already made this comment ^..my fault. I will start looking for the links right now.

jan3213

TO JUMPY

Post by jan3213 »

Hi, it's Jan

Re driving problems and Mirapex, I was on 2 mg daily, but I was also on 2 mg. Klonopin. I would get so sleepy when driving, that I was dangerous, I know. I actually woke up as a car was passing me on the interstate. It was as if I had narcolepsy. I would drop off without even knowing it, do you know what I mean? I have never driven off the road, but I've had close calls. My neuro is now weaning me off of Klonopin and I am have withdrawal. After all, I took it for over 5 years. For the last two nights, I have awakened at 3 or 4 am, nauseated, in pain, with a major headache--feeling like a truck ran over me! I start feeling better around 10 am. By the way, I went for a long time with only 2-3 hours of sleep a night. Until just recently, in fact. So, you have my sympathy--Nadia and Jumpy.

Gotta go.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Lovechild3113

Post by Lovechild3113 »

I have been on Ultram for over a year now for back pain and now RLS. It has worked great for my RLS along with neurontin.

Jamie
Lovechild3113@aol.com
Jamie Wilderman

scottlevad

Ultram works great but...

Post by scottlevad »

Ultram (tramadol) has given me great relief from RLS symptoms. I have been diagnosed with severe (worst case the doc has) RLS. I have tried nearly all the non-opioid RLS drugs, which gave limited and always temporary relief. Ultram always works even after 5 years of use. My initial dose that helped was 100-150mg before bed. As with most meds, I had to increase my dosage to get results. Over the past 5 years I have increased to 100-150mg 3x/day (900mg/day). Something the docs will not tell you is that Ultram does indeed create addition-like side effects. Go to any substance abuse web site and you will see the dark side of Ultram. The foremost result of reducing Ultram dosage or stopping use is RESTLESS LEGS. Withdrawal from Ultram intensifies my RLS symptoms 10-fold. Ultram has been my miracle cure for RLS but now it is also my master. It is a slippery slope, be careful.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

HEY ALL, I have been on ultram for about 6 months now and take 50mg 3x a day. It has been a godsend for me. I don't have near as much pain and I don't feel high on it. I take it only as perscribed and motrin when I'm having a tough day. I try not too worry about side effects too much,because I cant think of any medication that doesnt have side effects. I think I will take my chances and deal with that instead of suffering daily with rls. My new sleep doc said in his 15 years of practice he has never had a patient get addicted to anything HMMMMMMM. Im an alcoholic and he did'nt even bat an eye has he refilled my zanax. I take 2mg at bed time no more no less I finally sleep. I have found my life again with my cocktail of MIRAPEX 1mg at bedtime ULTRAM 50mg 3x a day and ZANAX 2mg at bed time. Its working for now and Im counting my lucky stars!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOD BLESS~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

carol

Ultram

Post by carol »

I've been taking Ultram for years...One 50mg tablet at night , or earlier if the rls starts to kick in in the afternoon. It works every time.