legal marijuana for RLS sufferers?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
theq

legal marijuana for RLS sufferers?

Post by theq »

i live in california and i've recently heard of many people obtaining prescriptions for medicinal marijuana for a variety of different ailments (such as chronic headaches, back pains, and chrone's disease.) i've read on this board that many people find that marijuana helps their RLS, but i couldn't find any discussion as to if doctors are now deeming it appropriate to prescribe. i'm 20 years old and have had RLS for as long as i can remember but just recently found out that other people have it too! i haven't looked much into how my diet effects my RLS but walking really helps. i usually walk at least 4 miles a day during the week but when i get lazy my RLS really acts up. i noticed that alcohol has no effect if not aggravating it, but marijuana takes it away completely. i usually smoke every night and i can sleep fine, sometimes it wears off and i'll wake up early in the morning though. i hate that it's illegal and it's the only thing i've found that gives me instant relief. i looked into getting a medical marijuana license but i didn't have any of the disorders listed and i wanted to know if RLS is now being considered.

JLU

Re: legal marijuana for RLS sufferers?

Post by JLU »

Same here. Only I don't even know where to begin to look, or who to ask. If you found more info, please post. Thank U.
theq wrote:i live in california and i've recently heard of many people obtaining prescriptions for medicinal marijuana for a variety of different ailments (such as chronic headaches, back pains, and chrone's disease.) i've read on this board that many people find that marijuana helps their RLS, but i couldn't find any discussion as to if doctors are now deeming it appropriate to prescribe. i'm 20 years old and have had RLS for as long as i can remember but just recently found out that other people have it too! i haven't looked much into how my diet effects my RLS but walking really helps. i usually walk at least 4 miles a day during the week but when i get lazy my RLS really acts up. i noticed that alcohol has no effect if not aggravating it, but marijuana takes it away completely. i usually smoke every night and i can sleep fine, sometimes it wears off and i'll wake up early in the morning though. i hate that it's illegal and it's the only thing i've found that gives me instant relief. i looked into getting a medical marijuana license but i didn't have any of the disorders listed and i wanted to know if RLS is now being considered.

Post by Guest »

From what I understand, since you live in California, that you might be able to find a doctor to help you get your card. Doctor's are not allowed to prescribe marijuana. I don't believe that there is a 'list' of what is approved or not approved. It really is up to the doctor to allow you to get the card. Once you have that, then you can go get your cannabis from a care giver.
However, from what I understand, this is getting more and more difficult.

I, too, suffer severely from RLS, and cannabis is the only drug that works 100%. However, due to my company performing random drug tests, I am unable to use cannabis for the risk of losing my job. I've gone thru all the regular RLS drugs all the way up to Methadone (which is so horrific to detox from, I would never recommend it to anyone).

I finally told my doctor that cannabis worked 100% and wondered if he would prescribe Marinol (synthetic THC pills). It's not quite the same as cannabis, but it does help about 85-90%. I also take Neurontin to keep me asleep so I don't wake up. This combo is working great for me. The only downside, is that Marinol take up to 2 hours to 'kick in', so I have to take it about 2-3 hours before bedtime. I've heard that you can prick the pills and then squeeze the oil out onto some type of smoking material (i.e. tobacco, or other smoking herb) so that when you smoke it you get the effect much quicker. I have not tried this, so I can't say if it works or not.

Your regular doctor should be able to prescribe Marinol for you since it is a schedule 3 drug. The problem is that there is no research done for cannabis/marinol in regards to RLS. It is just reports from patients to doctors that they discover it. Our government does not allow any marijuana research.

What is so stupid, is that Marinol that contains the THC is a schedule 3 drug, while Cannabis is still a schedule 1 drug. Does that make any sense to you? me either. I think the only reason is for the drug companies to make money. Also, if our government says that marijuana provides NO medical benefits, then why on earth do they make a synthetic THC pill?? Obviously, it does...and like I said, this way they can control it and the drug companies make money.

I would ask your doctor about Marinol, and I URGE EVERYONE to write your represenatives in Washington for FULL legalization of cannabis.