ReQuip

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
HJHUNTINGTON

ReQuip

Post by HJHUNTINGTON »

What are side effects that anyone out there is experiencing with Requip? I was on it a few months and the heart rate was lower than before the medication, plus I did not really find the relief I had hoped for. I was up to 8 of the.25 mg per day and this week went gradually off it and back to MIrapex at the suggestion of my primary care physician

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi. welcome to the board. I started a thread about side effects awhile back that I was hoping people would contribute to. A few did. I would love it if you would add your side effect info into it.

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1426

Have you gone through the posts in the Pharmaceutical section? I know a lot of people have posted about Requip over the past year. But none of these posts are all together.

We get a lot of people "passing through" when they are feeling a lowly. Some people only check in once in awhile. So, often you can find out more by reading old posts to see what people said, than you are waiting for people to come back and see your post.

My side effects with Requip are posted in the message above. Hopefully there are more listed in there that will help.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pinkladie0333

requip

Post by pinkladie0333 »

Hi everyone, I have been taking Requip for a couple of months now and the side effect I have encountered has been headaches when I wake up. Another side effect is if I take to much I get sick to my stomach. Other than that I am relieved this medication has been approved and thankful Johns Hopkins has taken me in to be part of their RLS Study.

Post by Guest »

I was wondering If anyone elses stopped working. I have been on Requip for a month but it takes quite a few hrs to kick In and even then my leg movements are not altogether stopped. some nites It barely seems to work, (and I am still kicking all over)when at first It was great i am on 0.5 once a day...any advice?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's not any fun to finally get the drugs and then still have problems!

I highly recommend reading the "sticky" threads in the New to RLS section of the board. There is a lot of information in there about RLS drugs, how much to take, when to take them, etc. You are on a low amount (for Requip) and may not be taking it soon enough. You have to take it at least 90 minutes prior to the time that the RLS is going to start.

Just my opinion, but you can't get "too" educated about this disease! The more you know, the better you can manage your treatment and know what to do when you get certain symptoms. It's a lot of work, and sometimes all that reading isn't much fun for some of us, but it sure pays off in the end (at least it has for me).

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pdullea

ReQuip

Post by pdullea »

The stuff make me feel real lousy. I have no energy, I feel tired & sleepy, and my stomache gets very upset.

ms_america_76

Post by ms_america_76 »

I have been taking Requip 1 MG/1 hr prior to bed for about 2 months. The main side effect is nausea, 24/7. It isn't bad enough to make me throw up as long as I follow a pretty strict eating regimine. I can only eat about 1/2 of what I would normally eat, if that. I start to eat a regular meal, but a few bites into it, I get nauseated, so stop. I absolutely can't eat anything past about 6 PM or else when I take the Requip about 10, I'm very sick, enough to throw up. I have lost a considerable amount of weight, but needed to, if I lose 10-20 more I'll be in trouble, but I'm not going to worry about that unless/until that time comes. I assume the nausea will taper off or I'll figure out a way to eat more - maybe more often??

I also have to go to bed within an hour of taking it. If I don't, I get a terrible headache and most nights I still wake up with a headache some time during the night.

The GREAT news is that the Requip helps. It doesn't make me sleepy at all, but my leg movements and HAVING to get up at night has stopped. I still wake up often, though feel relaxed and fall back to sleep ok, and still take 5MG Ambien most nights, but my legs are much better. I used to have numbness and tingling, plus shock sensations in my legs and feet upon waking up in the morning and that is 90% gone. I was diagnosed with MS 12 years ago, and am now convinced that it was RLS all along.

I have lesions in the core of my brain (NOT where they should be for MS) plus I have an abnormal EEG (NOT usual in MS), but was told it was "Probable MS" at the time. Now I know better as lesions in the core and abnormal EEGs ARE normal for RLS patients.
S.

scully

requip

Post by scully »

i think requip is making me very ill. i am dizzy, tired, out of breath, very weak/sore muscles, nightmares, palpataions, etc. i am taking 2ml for rls and feel like i am being poisoned.

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

I have a very sensitive stomach, so I take an antacid and Dramamine at bedtime with my Requip. Works so far!
Jenny