sonata usage

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Amg2109

sonata usage

Post by Amg2109 »

hi there. i was diagnosed with rls when i was 7 months pregnant and now my daughter is 5 months old and it has not gone away. i am seeing a neurologist who gave me mirapex to start and today was my first day. my question is that during my pregnancy i was allowed to take sonata and i have taken it nightly since then. if i don't take it then my legs shake constantly. does anyone use sonata or ambien long term? i know all the info says you should not use sedatives longer then 10 days but my neurologist doesn't seem to mind me using it but i just don't know what the effects are.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Amg, I think a lot of people do use Ambien and Sonata more than 10 days, probably for years. The FDA says that because no testing was done to see what happens if you take it for long periods, I think.

Many people also take other drug classes much longer then they are approved for. For example, benzodiazipenes are only approved for a couple of weeks or a month, and some people are on them for 20 years or longer. The problem with them is what happens when you have to stop taking them. Most people are physically, if not psychologically, dependent on them, and it can be very hard to stop.

Another reason is tolerance - that when you take something long-term, you keep needing more and more to do that same work.

Now, whether or not these two things happen to people who take them long-term, I don't have a clue! I took Ambien for about 2 months and didn't have any problems stopping it, but I did need to take more of it for it to work as well.

Have you started the Mirapex? You may find that you can do without the Sonata. I know I didn't need anything at first with the Mirapex - it made me very sleepy and I stayed asleep for 8 full hours. The Mirapex should completely resolve the RLS, too. I actually found that I only needed .125 mg of Mirapex for the first several months I took it, but the average dose is .50 or .75 mg, which you can get to after increasing the dose every 3 or 4 days if needed.

Hope this helps some. Welcome to the board, I'll look forward to hearing about how the Mirapex is working for you.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Dottie51

Mirapex

Post by Dottie51 »

Be careful taking Mirapex. They are now find out that it can cause gambling addiction. Talk to your doctor about this. It is important. It happened to me. Doctors do not always talk about all the side effects, but this is one that they should be talking about. There was even an article in the Wall Street Journal last week about this very thing. Just thought I would offer my experiences. Hope you find something that works for you.