Welbutrin Causing RLS??????

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jedsono27

Post by jedsono27 »

I am just curious to find out when RLS starting affecting people. I know the exact time RLS started with me. It was right after I tried taking Welbutrin for a couple of months to try to quick smoking, Not for depression. I wonder if taking welbutrin when not really needing it for a neurological disorder caused RLS???

RLS is Neuro and Welbutrin messes with your Neuro Transmitters.... I am just looking for some answers or anyone out there that might have experienced this also.

I am also interested in finding out if anyone started having RLS after taking any other kind of anti depressant or a medication that messed with your Brain?

Thanks Everyone

Carol Ann

If taking Wellbrutin will cause RLS or worsen it

Post by Carol Ann »

I have severe RLS and depression. The only anti-depressant that my doctor said that would NOT worsen my RLS would be Wellbrutin. It's somewhat helpful for my depression, although, I would like to try some other anti-depressants to see if they would be more effective for my depression, however, most antidepressants will only worsen RLS.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

As far as I know, all ADs can worsen RLS, or even bring it on if you've never had it before. However, some tend to be worse, and some not as bad. Like almost all medications, however, there are no absolutes. One of our members used one of the older tricyclic ADs without any problems, while most of our members that have tried it found it to be terrible.

Wellbutrin tends NOT to worsen/start up RLS, and may even help it, but it does in a small amount of people.

The most comprehensive info I know about this is on the So Cal Support group site, www.rlshelp.org. Go to the RLS/PLMD section and scroll down to the section about ADs, under secondary medications.

It really is difficult doing the trial and error method, but I don't know of any other way. It is so highly individual as to what will work for any one person. *sigh*

The good news is that the RLS will probably completely go away when stopping an AD if you never had it before. I say probably, because sometimes these drugs just bring out latent RLS that would have shown up eventually. But most often, like with pregnancy, the majority of people who get RLS secondary to something like a drug, the RLS will go away when the drug is stopped (or pregnancy stops).

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jedsono27

Post by jedsono27 »

I am not taking the welbutrin anymore and I wasn't experiencing RLS when I did take it, however I didn't have RLS before takign welbutrin either. But one thing you said does make sense. It might have brought it out sooner then later either way I GOT IT NOW!!!! lol.

Taking welbutrin was the only thing I could attribute my RLS to. It was the only thing I was doing different and it only came on after I stopped taking welbutrin.

I do not take and have never taken any anti-depressants for depression. Like I mentioned, I was taking it to quit smoking and when it didn't help I stopped taking it.

Thanks to everyone for your input, I look forward to getting more input and understand RLS even more.

Thanks

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I started taking Wellbutrin after having RLS for several years. I can't tell that it has made my RLS any worse but it has helped my depression. I also have fibromyalgia and the Wellbutrin seems to help some with the early morning "can't get going" thing. I agree with the info Views gave you, no anti-depressant is good for RLS but Wellbutrin seems to be the least problematic. It's pretty much a crap shoot, trial and error sort of thing. I'm lucky in that the "cocktail" I'm on right now has been working for quite a while for the RLS. The fibro kicks up now and then and that's a totally different set of problems. Glad you found us and hope you get some info that helps.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)