Requip not for me; what is?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rbaltes

Requip not for me; what is?

Post by rbaltes »

Hi all!
New to the group. I've suffered from RLS for about 35 years, although I was only officially diagnosed with it about a year ago. For as long as I can remember, I've suffered from the symptons every single day. My family doctor put me on Requip, but it didn't really do the trick until I got up to a 4mg dose each night. In order for it to work, I must take it exactly 2 hours before going to bed, or it doesn't work at all. If I fail to take it, my RLS is worse than ever. Within days of starting on the drug, I also began getting regular migraines that lasted for two or three days.
In addition to Requip, I've tried hydrocodone, Klonapin, Flexeril, and just about every over-the-counter and herbal remedy available, and only the Klonapin worked. Unfortunately, doctors out here in my area don't like to prescribe anything that could be addictive. Here's the problem: I also suffer from clinical depression, and for that my daily regimen consists of: 150mg Effexor; 300mg Zoloft; 450mg Wellbutrin; and 50mg Visteril 2X. To make matters worse, I live in a rural area where it's very difficult to see an actual MD; I often have to see a PA or even a PRN!
Any suggestions?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That sounds like a very difficult situation. You may already know that the SSRIs and similar drugs often cause RLS or worsen RLS. That may be why you needed that much Requip, which many people here have said can cause headaches at higher doses. Have you tried Mirapex? You can take much less of it than REquip, it works longer, and it has completely different side effects, so you might not get any headaches.

It is essential to take all DAs at least 90 minutes before your RLS starts. All of us that take them get used to making sure we take them on time and regularly, there is no way around it. Some people find with Requip that dividing the doses into three daily doses allows them to still take it without the headaches or other side effects. Instead of 4 mg once, you could try 1 mg in the morning, 1 mg at 2 PM, and 2 mg at 8 PM, let's say. For Mirapex, you might be able to take, say .50 mg three hours before, and then take the remainder an hour before. It might work.

I bought a Timex watch that has three timers on it. I set each timer for when I need to take a med. I always have med at home, in the car, and in my purse. My timer goes off, I take the med.

Of course, this is all just ideas based on what other people have found effective, and is not medical advice - I'm not a doctor! Some people might take it incorrectly; I assume that you will take this information and discuss it with your doctor or medical provider as needed.

Your best option might be to write to Dr Buchfurer, who responds to people's questions on the www.rlshelp.org site. He is an RLS doctor and gives great advice. He will even talk to other people's doctors when they have questions.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

RLJames

Requip

Post by RLJames »

rbaltes,
we must be on the same boat. Am now on a daily 3mg dose of Requip. Haven't seen much improvement yet. Saw the doc yesterday and he seems to be convinced that this will work. He basically told me to do what Ann just posted: Take .5 in the a.m., another .5 in the pm, on as needed basis, and take 2 mg before bedtime.

Good luck and let's keep comparing notes.