Please help me

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ackox

Please help me

Post by ackox »

Hi Everybody,

I usually don't log on to websites such as these, but my life is at a standstill because of some unknown illness. My doctor has tested me for everything and the tests always come up negative. I have a constant dull pain in both my legs and I have trouble urinating. By "trouble" I mean I always feel like I have to go, a lot of times I can't go, and when I can go there is no pressure so it just sort of leaks out.

I have been on Tramadol for 7 months and I feel like the drug is causing me to have memory loss and trouble concentrating. I have terrible mood swings and have been out of work for a month and a half now.

The pain in my legs is constant. It never stops. For 7 months it hasn't stopped. I feel as though my doctor doesn't believe me any more and he thinks I'm a pill popper. He tried to switch me to something called Balacet but that made me feel very lost and confused so I am now back on the Tramadol.

If this is RLS, please let me know. I would think it is except for the urinating problems.

I hope you can help me. I am a smart 26 year old man with a wife and two kids who want their husband and father back to normal...

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear ackox,

Certainly can emapthise with your plight. Check out the sticky posts in the New to RLS thread. That will help you determine if what you are experiencing is truly RLS. Seven months worry about your physical concerns can be part of the mood swings, memory, concentration. Stress can be a huge part of that. I know this from experience.

Not certain if the Tramadol side affects are related to urinary problems. Someone more knowlegeable may be able to offer more insights.

From the post its etc I am fairly certain and KNOW I have rls. There
are other physical problems that continue etc. It is very frustrating at times, but sharing experiences and reading others quests has helped me to stay more positive and focused on achieving a quality of life I Need to be a whole human being. So don't give up... there are many here stirring up hope for RLS and anyone else who needs it!
Sorry I couldn't be more help. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

craft01

reply to ACKOX

Post by craft01 »

What you have does NOT sound like RLS to me. MY RLS only shows itself when I am immobile for any period of time and then it takes the form of sudden twitching in the legs. From what I have read and learned about RLS, twitching is the most common symptom. Have you check with an orthopedic doctor, or a chiropractor? Good luck.

craft01

To ACKOX - re: Tramadol

Post by craft01 »

I have been getting a newsletter from "Worst Pills, Best Pills" for a few years and trust their recommendations.

According to the Worst Pills, Best Pills directory, TRAMADOL "appears to be no more and somewhat less effective than combinations of codeine with aspirin or acetaminophen." "Tramadol has effects similar to the narcotic pain relievers morphine and codeine, including the potential to cause addiction." They have labeled it "Do Not Use".

I would ask my doctor to prescribe something else - or get a second opinion FROM ANOTHER DOCTOR.

Sadiegirl

Post by Sadiegirl »

Craft, could you describe your symptoms in more detail? I have quite a bit of twitching along with, tingling, vibrations but I haven't heard many others describe twitching.

Laura

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Craft, I'd be curious if the Newsletter's recommendation to use Tramadol is based on using for any condition, or just in general. I have never used it, but there are a lot of people with RLS that find it extremely effective.

If I am understanding it, they are saying to not use it because it can be addtictive. Many of the drugs that are used for RLS, and many other diseases can also be addictive, if used incorrectly or by someone with an addictive personality. To me, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be used, however.

I'm also curious about twitching. I think sometimes it's so hard to explain what RLS does to us, and sometimes we have different ideas of what a word means. I'm not trying to put Craft on the spot, but I don't want to make the wrong assumption about what was said. When I think about twitching, I think of possibly a tic-type action of a mucsle, where you can see/feel it moving, or a jerk of some type. Is that what you meant, Craft?

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ackox

Post by ackox »

Hi Again all - thanks for your input so far. Here is a more detailed version of my illness and the surrounding details: (By the way the twitching? I think she means the involuntary movements of your legs. I do get those...)

I have had pain in my legs in the past. Always at night lying in bed. Stretching my legs out would make it go away, but only while I was stretching. When I was done stretching it would come right back. It happened maybe 1 or 2 times a month. No big deal - I usually just drank a lot of wine until I passed out (probably not recommended by the doctor...)

Then, last March I started to have trouble urinating. This came before I was on any medications. I went to a urologist and he said everything looked fine. He ran all sorts of tests and told me my problem is not with my renal organs. He recommended me to a neurologist.

Before seeing the neurologist my legs started hurting. I describe it as a constant dull pain (exactly like what I used to feel at night once or twice a month). It started on a Saturday night and I could not sleep that night or the next. No sleep - not a wink. I went to see my doctor the next day and he put me on Tramadol. I've been on it ever since.

The neurologist ran some tests and told me my problem wasn't neurological and couldn't help me. My doctor tested me for everything and everything keeps coming back negative.

I self-diagnosed myself with Lymes disease although I had tested negative for it 3 times. I never had the bulls-eye rash and can't remember being bitten by a tick, but my symptoms matched the symptoms listed on all their sites.

So my doctor set up an at-home IV antibiotic treatment plan that usually gets the Lyme disease out of the body for the time being. I injected (myself) 4 different tubes of medicine each night for 4 weeks and nothing improved.

By this time I am out of work because stressfull things are making my heart race. I was having trouble concentrating on my work and getting lost in stores. My short term memory is pretty shaky and I have terrible mood swings. My balance is awful and I am walking into walls. All of these symptoms are consistent with Lyme.

So I go see the chief of medicine at Columbian Presbyterian in NYC (my sister-in-law knows somebody who knows somebody) and he tells me there is no such thing as Lyme disease and I should go see a psychiatrist for my illness. Thanks for the support ...

So... now here I am. I am trying to get into a pain management place in order to manage my pain and get off the Tramadol. Hopefully most of my emotional and mental issues are side effects of the drug. I'll still have trouble peeing, but I can live with that... yes, I can live with a urinating problem for the rest of my long life (I'm only 26) if somebody CAN PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!!!!!!!

A diagnosis, good or bad, whatever. Do I have MS? No. Do I have Parkinson's? No. AIDS? No. Cancer? No. Lyme Disease? I guess not. What do I have? I am going crazy because now my doctor (I believe) thinks I am making all this up to get pain pills. I am not a pill popper - I am sick.

Please somebody out there needs to diagnose me....

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Ackox,

Have you had your blood tested for RA yet?

Just to rule it out.

Sounds like you need to find a new Neuro....kills me how they don't know what it is so they say you don't have what you do.....

I have Fibro along with my RLS...and the Rhuemy I went to said it wasn't in my bone scan so I don't have it....FIBRO DOESN'T SHOW UP IN BONE SCANS!!!! My neuro was bull**** when she heard this....don't settle for what one neuro has to say....MAKE them have time for you and MAKE them work with/for you....you're the one who is paying them!!!!!

ooooo sorry, almost set off on a tear ....

Anyway....

Penguin
Beware the Penguin