Make sure they know!

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Penguin, that must be so frustrating, though. It is great that they are listening (and how horrible if they weren't???), but you (and Jannie, too), have really had a tough time finding something that really works. I know how hard it is to "just" have the creepy feelings for days on end, but pain that won't go away, horrible side affects, etc? That really sucks. I really hope they can find something, and soon.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Thanks Ann.

It's getting very old feeling like this....

Good night

Love you
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

Post by Guest »

Thank you Becat for the link. Quality of life is important to anyone with a chronic illness, especially as they realize that it may worsen the longer we have it.

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

The post thanking becat was from me, Jenny. Forgot to sign in. Sorrry!!

Susie and Irene's

Post by Susie and Irene's »

Don't have the chance to get here very often. ALWAYS find something helpful! You have no idea how much the little you give here affects someone else in a positive way..............THANK YOU!

Was on Permax for 6 - 7 years. Tried Requip....augmentation to the point that it was extremely unsafe for me to even drive. Am on Mirapex now and it is doing the job. Am a very active 65, but realize that the time is getting closer when I may possibly face the nightmare of immobility, for whatever reason.

Can anyone help me in this area? My doc does his best to help but is a neuro who also does research with MS & other illnesses, so his primary allegance is to those topics. It seems I have read in other places here of information for the docs, from patients, that can be printed and given to your doc. There is so much info here, it is hard to know where to look.

My initial question was about aqua therapy.......but got side-tracked. How is it different than other water therapy, a hot tub (hubby will get one if it will actually help)?

Again.THANKS!!!
Susie

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Susie

Where I live, aqua therapy refers to water aerobics. The pool is kept very warm (I don't remember the exact temperature) and there are a series of workouts we do in the water---a different one everyday, and repeated every week.

Jan3213
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Susie. Glad you find something worthwhile here. Yes, there are many posts so it can be difficult to find what you want. The search function can help if you know a specific term to look for, but not if you don't!

We did create some sticky posts in many of the topics. For example, in the New To RLS section, there are two stickies that provide links to many of our most informational posts or to other websites to help. These are a great place to start. There are many links in the following post (and the other sticky) to sites with information that can be printed and taken to your doctor.

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1068

Mirapex may work for a long time. One thing that some people really finds can extend how long a drug works is to take regular holidays or breaks from it. For example, as soon as the Mirapex seems to be losing effectiveness, or you need to take it earlier, take Requip, an opioid, or Permax, or whatever else works for about 2 weeks. Then go back on your original dose of Mirapex. People who do this can go years on a drug without augmentation or tolerance.

Hope that helps some. Glad you joined; hope to see you around again soon.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sistergoldenhair

Drugs that aggravate RLS

Post by sistergoldenhair »

I'm still new to this site, so hope I'm doing this right. This string of postings seemed to go off in different directions. Anyway, I'm glad someone brought up the importance of family letting healthcare providers know about a patient's RLS. When in the ER a few years ago, I received IV Phenergan for nausea, and within minutes was literally writhing, and some stupid nurse told me that it wasn't the drug causing my problem; I got a Dr. to listen to me and give me a big dose of Valium which put me out of my misery. I now know many anti-nausea drugs can do this. I will definitely talk to my husband and family about this in case I'm ever in a situation where I can't speak for myself. Thanks for the wake-up call. What other drugs do this? :!: