meds have caused my nerve damage (= rls!)

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
mich711

meds have caused my nerve damage (= rls!)

Post by mich711 »

I hope others can somehow benefit from the realization that their rls mayb very well, is caused, by nerve damage. I have some to that conclusion regarding my rls and chronic and severe insomnia, the latter which I have had for over 5 years now. I am 34 years old, and never had rls until several years ago. My first sensations occured while I was on a benzo (benzodiazepine) -Ativan. Although it initially helped my sleep, it eventually pulled me out of sleep as its effects wore off (I build up a tolerance -which is normal on benzos). My sleep deprivation amounted to insane levels (down to 20 minutes a night)....needless to say, I went out of my mind. After eventually going on different meds and ending up in the ER, and after being placed on several other meds, I finally ending up realizing that the only med that worked was a benzo (eventually got on Klonopin). I have since tried to get off this last med, but after 10 days of excruiating withdrawal, the worst being almost complete absence of sleep or severe leg pain (I rarely had leg pain), I realized I had to go back on Klonopin. Some sleep was much better than no sleep at all. Now after several days of being back on this med, I have difference sensations in my leg (like a snake crawling up my outside left knee, and tingling in my toes and feet and lower legs (which I have had since the first time on a benzo). Originally my sleep disruption started with attending to my newborn baby, and then stress, but then after turning originally to over-the-counter sleep meds, then to Ambien, then to other meds, and then (overlapping) with a benzo, and now just on a benzo, I realize this is caused permanent damage to my nerves. After all, benzo (And other sleep meds) difrectly affect your nervous system. For many, they will be fine after finally getting off (good luck in getting off...benzos are one of the most addictive substance known to man), but for others like myself, there is permanent nerve damage. The shaking and nerve sensations will never stop. I am damaged for life. Hope others can benefit somehow from my story. Sorry if this is confusing....hard to some up 5 years of hell into a paragraph.