Need your advice

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Fates114

Need your advice

Post by Fates114 »

I'm 25 years old and my restless leg just started getting really bad... I'm going to the dr's for the problem next week, and I've heard about requip, however I want to get some feedback on what everyone has had the most success with... what everyone reccomends from their personal experience, etc...
Taking Magnesium supplements really help, but not enough...
Also, if you respond about a Rx please specify if you know if there is a generic on the market because I'm sure as all of you who have these problems run into high cost drugs...

Thank you!!

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

I have taken:

Mirapex - gave me worsening
Klonopin - made me to sleepy and didnt help the jerking
Neurotin - no side effects however no results with rls
Requip - no side effects and no results with rls
Carlidopa/levodopa - no side effects with no results
Depakote - for both rls and headaches with no results in either disease.

Last trial is iron. My ferritin is at 38 and the recommended is <50 so we are trying iron but so far after a month of use no results.

Mirapex - no generic at least for me
Klonopin - generic
Neurotin - I beleive this was/is a generic
Requip - No generic
Carlidopa/levodopa - generic
Depakote - No generic

I have had no results with this but many ppl have had great results with either one medication on its own or with a cocktail of medications. Good luck to you. Your doctor will probably try requip first if you have rls because it is fda approved however there are several other medications out there that will help if the requip doesn't
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Fates, maybe one of the reasons only Jan replied is that it is so hard to recommend a drug to someone else. They work so differently for all of us. In addition, it depends on how frequent your RLS is - one thing might work great for periodic RLS, but wouldn't work at all for daily RLS.

If this isn't too late and you haven't already gone to the doctor, please consult the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. It has about the best information I know of. You can find it in the sticky in the New to RLS section of the board:

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1068

You will find lots of info there that will help you manage your RLS in addition to the algorithm. There is also a post about side effects that may offer some assistance to you:

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?p=12105#12105

If you are not a reader, you won't like this suggestion as much, but reading the posts here is the best way to learn as much as you can. It is time-consuming, but there sure is a lot of great knowledge posted here.

Hope this helps some.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Fates114

Post by Fates114 »

ViewsAskew wrote:Fates, maybe one of the reasons only Jan replied is that it is so hard to recommend a drug to someone else. They work so differently for all of us. In addition, it depends on how frequent your RLS is - one thing might work great for periodic RLS, but wouldn't work at all for daily RLS.

If this isn't too late and you haven't already gone to the doctor, please consult the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. It has about the best information I know of. You can find it in the sticky in the New to RLS section of the board:

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1068

You will find lots of info there that will help you manage your RLS in addition to the algorithm. There is also a post about side effects that may offer some assistance to you:

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?p=12105#12105

If you are not a reader, you won't like this suggestion as much, but reading the posts here is the best way to learn as much as you can. It is time-consuming, but there sure is a lot of great knowledge posted here.

Hope this helps some.

Ann

Thank you!! I appreicate it... They gave me Klonopin.... Last night they seem to work... we'll see tho...