requip is killing me

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
scully

requip is killing me

Post by scully »

i think requip is making me very ill. i am dizzy, tired, out of breath, very weak/sore muscles, nightmares, palpataions, etc. i am taking 2ml for rls and feel like i am being poisoned. i have been on it for 3 months. i too wake up at 4pm, can't go back to sleep. it is making my life worse than i rls.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Scully,

My Requip experience was very similar to yours. If you wouldn't mind, please add your side affects to Ann's thread ...

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1426

There are other medications that have proven effective in treating RLS. Read through the Mayo algorithm and print out the information to share with your doctor. Hopefully, you will find something you can use a difference medication without these side affects to manage your RLS.

It was my experience that I did not tolerate any of the Requip, Mirapex, hypnotic medications ... and have been limited to the opiods. RLS is difficult enough to live with, no one should have to endure unbearable side effects.

Sending you positive thoughts of energy, Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

bfeher

Requip experience

Post by bfeher »

I have been on Requip (1ml) twice a day since August 05. I felt the same side affects that you all did. I had to have something that works so I stuck out the side affects. Today my legs are 97% better. When I am extremely tire they start to jerk. My arm has jerked like my legs several time so I don't know what my body is doing. I work steady midnight so I am tired all of the time!!!! Requip has helped me. If I miss a day, my legs start jerking again.. Good Luck to you all. barb PS-I am so glad I found this organization. Most people don't know or understand what RLS is all about!

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

So glad you found us too! All that share their stories help others in so many ways. You may not realize it but a single post may change one person's mind set and allow them to carry one in their search for answers. I am glad you are here! Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

rlsseattle

requip is killing me

Post by rlsseattle »

Same experience on Requip and Mirapex. Helped for about 3 hours at bedtime, except I was wired. Finally fell asleep for about 1-2 hours, then woke up and could not get back to sleep.

Had to quit when I developed narcolepsy--sudden sleep attacks, particularly when sitting still--such as driving on the hwy. Would find myself startling myself awake. Had to pull over and sleep. Even in mid-day.

Slow-release opioid is perfect. No more big-time leg pain, absolutely no RLS symptoms, and sleeping great.

Got to eat loads and loads of fiber and fruit and drink an ocean of water. Get regular exercise.

Ovr53

Post by Ovr53 »

I havent been on requip very long, about a month or so, im wondering if it just takes time to build up in system before it actually starts working well? You stated "slow release" opiods work best, what is slow release? i sometimes get percocets for pain from stenosis, 5 mg, that works more than anything, but the Drs. dont like giving that out, not on a continuous basis. Sometimes my arms will flop around too, mainly my left arm, it is affected most from my scoliosis/stenosis. Im glad it doesnt get as bad as my legs.

Re: requip is killing me

Post by Guest »

scully wrote:i think requip is making me very ill. i am dizzy, tired, out of breath, very weak/sore muscles, nightmares, palpataions, etc. i am taking 2ml for rls and feel like i am being poisoned. i have been on it for 3 months. i too wake up at 4pm, can't go back to sleep. it is making my life worse than i rls.

I am also having trouble with Requip. It can leave me dopey the next day and keeps me sleepy. When I had a cold and took Tylenol for flu, I hallucinated and had horrible dreams.

The amount of medication has continually risen and I am ready to look for another treatment.

I have issues with my legs and my shoulders. Sleep can be a challenge.

Anyone have input about Neurosil? I recently saw their ad on the web.

Janet Judah

Requip

Post by Janet Judah »

I have been taking Mirapex for severe RLS after trying almost everything else. Mirapex is a wonder drug for me but now my insurance company has informed me it will no longer pay for the drug. I am desolate. I thought maybe Requip would help....now I'm afraid to try it. Has anyone had GOOD results?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Janet, lots of people have had great luck with Requip. The problem with a board like this is that only people with problems post about them! When the legs are quiet and all is good, most people don't hang out here (well a few of us do, but we have a symbioltic relationship with this place)!

That said, some people have difficulty switching from Mirapex to Requip. You won't know unless you try, though. From the posts I've read, I'd guess that most people who have trouble were having difficulty with Mirapex causing augmentation (increase in symptoms caused by the drug) and they might have had problems switching to any med. Since you are not having problems with it, hopefully you won't have any with it.

Just curious, why won't they cover it anymore? You must be very upset - I would be! If you didn't know, Mirapex is currently in clinical trials to be approved for RLS. If they denied it because it's not an approved drug for RLS, it should be available in the US for RLS as an approved treatment in the next year or so. Also, is there any way you can appeal? If this drug works for you, and there are many clinical trial that show it works for this disease, I would think you'd have a good case. If an appeal won't work, you could also try contacting the manufacturer if you want to continue it and can't afford it.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Janet,

Ann is right you can do a search of this site find posts of others who have used Requip with no problems. Like Ann says those that find relief tend to not hang around!

These medications like Requip and Mirapex do help about 80% of the RLS population.

Here is one site that lists manufacturers information about obtaining free or reduced meds. If you do an online search you can find many, look for ones who offer free information, you do not have to pay to find out about these programs, you just have to search a little!

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?sectio ... ntID=19169

Hope that you are not denied the medication for long. Hazel

erussell26

Requip detox?

Post by erussell26 »

I've just started taking requip in the last month and I'm only taking .75mg with Ambien. It seems to give me some relief but after reading everyone else's experience w/requip I want to quit b4 I get too hooked! I'm already experiencing increased RLS during the day...

So how do I stop using requip? Cold turkey?

I'm new to rls.org but I've had it as long as I can remember. I'm a 46 yr old female.

Thank you all for providing some very good information!

erussell26

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi errussell,

If you are getting increased RLS and it's been a month, you may be making a wise decision to stop it. I am prone to seeing the augmentation devil everywhere, but if it's only been a month and you didn't used to have it during the day. . .

You can't stop any of these meds cold turkey, though after only a month it shouldn't be bad. You might want to call your doctor first. You can switch to Mirapex without problem. You would need only .25 Mirapex for the .75 Requip. And probably not need the Ambien as Mirapex will put you to sleep. You can just stop the Requip and start the Mirapex the same day.

If you decide to stop it at all, you need to decide first what you want to do about drugs. If you have it daily, and it's affecting your life, you may not be able to go without them. On the other hand, many people can manage their RLS just fine by adjusting lifestyle and adding supplements. There is a lot more info in the New to RLS? sticky on managing RLS and in the Non-Pharm section.

Welcome to the board!
Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Post by Guest »

I was having wierd symptoms as well when my dosage was raised to 2mgs. Heart palpitations, episodes of dizziness and fatigue. (it also seemed to coralate with my menstrual cycle.) I went to the doctor and found i was boderline anemic. (My levels were the lowest numbers in each range) My doctor said, "my numbers weren't low enough to suggest any coarse of action at this time." :x (Funny how my rls seems to be worse now then it has ever been!!!) Both my family dr and female dr are blaiming the requip, but what if its the anemia??? I don't have any prior blood work to show what MY normal is!!! My episodes are gone now and I still take 2mgs. every night!! So your guess is as good as mine!
Stacey

rella

from rella

Post by rella »

Anonymous wrote:I was having wierd symptoms as well when my dosage was raised to 2mgs. Heart palpitations, episodes of dizziness and fatigue. (it also seemed to coralate with my menstrual cycle.) I went to the doctor and found i was boderline anemic. (My levels were the lowest numbers in each range) My doctor said, "my numbers weren't low enough to suggest any coarse of action at this time." :x (Funny how my rls seems to be worse now then it has ever been!!!) Both my family dr and female dr are blaiming the requip, but what if its the anemia??? I don't have any prior blood work to show what MY normal is!!! My episodes are gone now and I still take 2mgs. every night!! So your guess is as good as mine!
Stacey

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Stacy,

Has the doctor checked your ferritin levels (body's storage of iron), those who suffer from RLS may find iron therapy helpful if they can bring the ferritin levels above 50... my regular blood work did not indicate any anemia, however my ferritin level was 5...

I have been on iron therapy and slowly the ferritin levels are improving, yet I really have not noticed any improvement in the RLS.

Use the search option above and do a search for posts about ferritin levels. Also you may look in the post it notes in New to RLS for more information which you can share with your dr.

How are you doing? Hopefully you are not continuing to experience the heart palpitations, etc.

Hazel