Even pharmacists get RLS...

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner »

I think that MDs do not respond well to us patients recommending drugs that work for us especially if they happen to be opiates. You will likely have to stay with the same MD, try a few drugs and maybe you will get lucky and find a non-opiate that helps. However, if you do not respond well then hopefully that MD will see the logic of not witholding opiates as he/she deems you an appropriate candidate for that type of therapy.

upallnight

response to you.

Post by upallnight »

I think I have tried everything. I had to have surgery on my ankle and was on vicodan for the pain. what do you know? No more RLS. So, I went back to Dr. after the surgery and after the vic ran out, told him I was so excited that something worked! I actually slept! I was ecstatic! then I got the run around b/c I was asking for 30 vics/month so i could take 1 per night. 5 visits later with the last one bringing MANY tears, I finally convinced him i wasnt a drug seeker and he wrote me the script. I have been sleeping happily ever since. I take the neurontin during the day if the RLS pops up but more or less i have been a very happy camper on my vic/dy. I tried the requip, mirapex, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. and for whatever reason the vic is the only thing that works.

FidgetBoy

Relief-- finally

Post by FidgetBoy »

All- thanks for the continued support. I finally went back to my primary doc and said I was basically sleep deprived and at the end of my rope. I asked him for any narcotic he thought would help since I failed both dopamine agonists and he actually put me on very small dose of oxycontin. (since my symptoms are really from 7pm all the way to 7am) I took one tablet and felt emotionally overwhelmed at how "normal" I felt in an hour. :D I had a very hard time getting up the next morning, however. But- it's a price I'm willing to pay to finally get rid of the creepy-crawlies. I am going to try and switch back to just one percocet when I get caught up on my sleep. My only issue is I still have a good amount of daytime symptoms but I think that's left over from the Mirapex. For some reason- after each round of dopamine agonists I've been on, I've experienced ~10 days of horrendous daytime symptoms that go on long after the drug has left my system. I'm guessing that dopamine is a neurotransmitter that perhaps stays around a while? I'll have to review my neurophysiology. so... alls well that ends well (for this round, anyway). I know I'll never be cured of this and this therapy may not work forever.... but last night.... for just a brief moment in time- I finally remember what "sleeping like a baby" really feels like.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Congratulations. God, that first night of sleep after all the deprivation really feels good, doesn't it???

It is a noted fact that stopping Mirapex (not sure about the other ones) DOES cause escalated 24/7 symptoms for 3-10 days. Then, fortunately, it stops. I'd love to find out why, so after you review, stop by and let us know.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Always encouraging to hear some GREAT reports! I am so happy for you!

Looking forward to many more RLS free days and sleep filled nights for you!

***********Positive Energy*******************

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

This helped me

Post by This helped me »

I wanted to mention that I have found 2 things that are working....well working enough......my partner found me these socks at a medical supply store. Paraplegics were them a lot to increase circulation in their limbs. They are really long, tight socks. They have helped a lot. Second is drinking Tonic water all day. Some say that the quinine in Tonic water helps and it has for me.