Please help

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.

Please help

Post by Guest »

i have had RLS for nearly 5-6 years now, and i have found that the only thing that has completely cured me of it for short enough periods of time, as to sleep, were forms of hydrocodone, or opiates. I dont have any history of abuse with these kinds of things.

These are the only types of medicine that completely releive me of my RLS.

My question is how am i supposed to tell my doctor about this? because of its known potential for abuse

tashton

Post by tashton »

I tried different medications with no luck for about three years. My doctor would not even consider hydrocodone. She seemed terrified of it and finally told me she would lose her license if she prescribed it. I didn't believe her but I knew then it was time to look for a new doctor. I went to a pain clinic and had to spend two hours talking to the doctor and explained to him that I was tired of being a guinea pig and that I knew hydrocodone worked for me. I finally convinced him to let me try it. I have found relief during the day and can sleep at night. My insurance won't cover this doctor so I have to private pay but at least I can get relief. You will have to look for a doctor that will let you take part in your treatment. Good luck, I know from experience that is easier said than done. I wish you the best.

Post by Guest »

thank you. i have an appointment with my psychologist in about two hours. maybe he will be more understanding than just a regular M.D

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

This is such a hard thing. When I did it, I was just as honest as I could be. I explained how many years I'd suffered, how many things I had tried. I asked him straight out if he would be willing to partner with me in treatment: I'm willing to listen and work with him if he will do the same. I also brought in printouts from respected places like the Mayo Clinic Algorithm that says to use opioids when the other things do not work. Or printouts of emails that were written to patients on the www.rlshelp.org site that explain switching to opioids can be the best option sometimes.

Good luck. As Tashton said, sometimes you just have to change docs. Tashton's doc isn't covered; mine is 50-60 miles away. I don't like the drive there every other month, but I love the doc and how he treats me.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.