RLS meds

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jpo

RLS meds

Post by jpo »

I am a long time sufferer who has had all of the Parkinsons meds and the only thing that really works for me are opiods. Since the doctors are hesitant to prescribe longterm, and addiction runs ramped in my family, I was curious if anyone has ever tried Lidocaine patches. Just curious. After a back injury, my sister in law was given them for pain in her calf. She told me that it did not effect her walking ability and the med only absorbed about 1/2 t0 1" in the body.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Sorry to hear you are suffering and appear to be among the 20% of the RLS sufferers who do not find relief from the dopamine agonsts.

I realize that the tendancy towards addictions may run in families, and fully empathize with your reluctance to pursue the opiods.

Lidocaine patches are used to relieve the pain of post-herpetic neuralgia (the burning, stabbing pains, or aches that may last for months or years after a shingles infection). Lidocaine is in a class of medications called local anesthetics. It works by stopping nerves from sending pain signals.

I did a search of posts and found a couple who were prescribed or used Lidocaine. One was also taking mirapex and ultracet, and the Lidocaine was prescribed for neruopathy. The other person was talking about an over the counter alovera(sp) with lidocaine lotion that could be applied to the feet to ease burning sensations. She said this application did not stop RLS.

So maybe someone will post that has tried Lidocaine for RLS. Since they are not certain what causes RLS in most instances, it is difficult to say what will work for one individual that doesn't work for another.

Like you I have found the opiods to work best for me. My doctor at the moment has me on Ultram during the day and Lortab at night. Dr. B from the Southern California RLS website suggests that you alternate between opiods, so others have suggested I would benefit from taking Ultram one week and switching to the Lortab the next to reduce dependancy issues. So I am using it that way now.

There is documentation that the use of opiods to prevent RLS or chronic pain when used as directed are usually not addictive. There is a difference between dependancy and addiction. We take the medications as prescribed and do not experience or take in access to have that euphoric feeling. However, our bodies will become dependant on the medication. That is why switching the opiod from time to time is recommended.

I was prescribed for fibromyalgia, a medication similar to the Lidocaine, which is used for treating neruopathy by stopping nerves from sending pain signals. I thought it would possibly work on the RLS too, but it didn't. I still needed the opiod. So I would think that in this instance it would be the same. That the Lidocaine patch would not stop the RLS.

but I am not a doctor, just sharing my 2 cents worth!

Here are the medications listed on the Mayo Clinic Algorithm

Carbidopa/levodopa, 25 mg/100 mg, or controlled release (CR), 25 mg/100 mg

Dopamine agonists, such as pramipexole or ropinirole

Low-potency opioids, such as propoxyphene or codeine, or opioid agonists, such as tramadol

Benzodiazepines or benzodiazepine agonists, such as temazepam, triazolam, zolpidem, or zaleplon

To view the complete Algorithm here is the url:
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/in ... ef=7907crc

It might be helpful to search through So. Cal. support group: comprehensive RLS med information, pages of letters answered by doctor on how to deal with RLS, it is possible that some may have had the same question.

http://www.rlshelp.org/

Remember we are all rowing for you, and the others, stirring up hope!

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden