Does Klonopin REALLY help? Or...

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Anonymous

Does Klonopin REALLY help? Or...

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

I can't give you any Rx Facts, just my personal experience, but Klonopin works very well at taking away my RLS sensations.
Klonopin helps me to get to sleep too, but I have never been "knocked out" by it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Em, studies show that for some people, the benzodiazepines like Klonopin don't so much prevent the sensations as promote sleep*. More doctors are starting to believe that it doesn't help that high of a percentage of people, however, and are not recommending it like they used to. Randy is one of the lucky ones.

edited to add: The items in bold imply that it does work for some people. This was never intended to say it didn't work for anyone, at all. It was itended to say that it doesn't work for everyone, and may (emphasis on may) not be as helpful as they originally thought.

*"No controlled trials have demonstrated that clonazepam or any other GABAergic sedative hypnotic actually reduces symptoms of RLS. Therapeutic benefit appears to arise from sleep-promoting properties such that patient continues to sleep despite disturbances from RLS symptoms." http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic509.htm
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Thu May 11, 2006 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

ViewsAskew wrote:...studies show that for some people, the benzodiazepines like Klonopin don't so much prevent the sensations as promote sleep*. More doctors are starting to believe that it doesn't help that high of a percentage of people...Randy is one of the lucky ones.

Ann, I would argue with anyone who says Klonopin doesn't help with RLS symptoms.
One step further, it's worked for me, better than anything that the Dr. has prescribed up till now. That includes Mirapex, Cabatrol, Tegretol, Requip, Hydrocodone and a couple others that I'm forgetting.

I'm not arguing with you right now, I just don't want anyone who is suffering with RLS to cross Klonopin off the list without even trying it.

Randy

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I take Mirapex and Klonopin both so I can't tell you if the Klonopin helps with the RLS or just my sleep. I also know that it is a drug that many doctors are now telling people to stay away from. But as long as my "cocktail" works for me, I think I will stay on it. Like WAM, I'm just presenting my viewpoint, not telling anyone what to do and DEFINATELY not arguing with anyone.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Orcaholic2001

Post by Orcaholic2001 »

I been taking Klonopin for about 2 years now for panic disorder. I was diagnosed with RLS back in january. The klonopin has been helping me. But some nites the RLS is so bad I have to take a higher does for it to help which is only 0.50mg from my normal 0.25mg.

My doctor just recently gave me a sample trial pack of the Requip & said i can take that with klonopin as well. I took it for the first time 2 days ago & I had horrible reactions that im still recovering from. So im sticking with just the klonopin.

SweetAdeline

Post by SweetAdeline »

Hi!
I'm very new to this board, and was just recently diagnosed with RLS after being checked for iron deficieny and pregnancy. I was already on Clonazepam (generic name for Klonopin) and Requip was added to my regime as Clonazepam didn't seem to work more than making me fall asleep and, it seemed, "forget" about my RLS.
Just my take!

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Thanks for the input! And welcome! I am so glad to see so many new people joining. It is very helpful to me to hear of others experiences with RLS. Hope to get to know you better. Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden