Augmentation from Miapex

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Carol Ann

Augmentation from Miapex

Post by Carol Ann »

I have severe RLS and am taking .5 mlg. of Mirapex at 5:30 P.M. and another .5 mlg. of Mirapex at 9:30 P.M. I've been taking Mirapex for about 4 years and it helps me get enough sleep to be able to reasonably function the next day. I've had 2-3 weeks of not having any discomfort at all about twice in the last 6 months. It really was heaven not to have the agony of the RLS to endure. However, the RLS has returned after the brief remission-only worse. It never bothered me during the day hardly at all. When it comes back after the brief remission, I experience quite a bit of RLS discomfort during the day especially in the P.M. It also bothers me in the early morning hours. I have woke up about 3:00 A.M. and have had to go in the shower to get some relief from the RLS. Fortunately, in most cases, I have been able to get back to sleep for about 3 hours. Is what I'm experiencing augmentation from the Mirapex?

I'd really appreciate hearing from you or anyone regarding the above.

Thanks!

Carol Ann

P.S. I really appreciate the RLS website. It has been quite beneficial and supportive to me. I hope someday a cure will be found or more effective meds with fewer side effects.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Carol Ann,

It's so frustrating to get it back after it's been gone, isn't it? I am always depressed when that happens. I, too, hope we get some better solutions to this.

It sounds like it could be augmentation and rebound. The rebound occurs after the dose wears off, the augmentation makes it occur either earlier in the day, or more severely during the normal times you have it. Usually the key to determining if it's augmentation/rebound is that it happened quickly. Last month you were fine, this month it's crazy! When it progresses naturally, it usually does so more slowly. Not always, but usually.

It also could be, though, that you changed something in your diet, started a new medication that bothers RLS, changed your workout schedule, etc. But, if you're not taking new medications, didn't stop your normal vitamins/supplments, etc., then it very well could be augmentation and rebound. Have you considered calling your doctor? Does he or she know about RLS enough to deal with this situation if that's what it is? I hope so. It's hard to educate your docs about things like this, especially when you don't even know what to do!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.