Mirapex

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Barb G

Mirapex

Post by Barb G »

I took my first dose last night and woke up all night long. I'm wondering if that side effect can go away after a while of using it?

Barb
Barb G

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Barb,

Myself no it did not go away and intensified. We are all different, so it may not be the case for you. After- as I recall- all most two weeks maybe three but less than a month I quit the Mirapex as I just could not tolerate the side affects. Have you experienced any side affects with other DAs? If you have problems with two or more DAs, it probably means they are not going to work for you. Visit the New to RLS sticky notes and look at the information there. In particular refer to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm - helps your doc find best treatment for you.

Good Luck! I'll be rowing for you and the others, Hazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Barb G

Post by Barb G »

This is my first real RLS med so I'll have to wait and see.

I just have seen info on other drugs that say, side affedts that subside.... Yet I have not seen that wording with the Mirapex.
Barb G

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It did go away for me. The first night, for me, was like one long lucid dream. I was completely aware of me when I was sleeping, though I didn't sleep much. After the third night, I started internet research and found Dr B's site. In other posts, he told people to start at a lower dose than my doctor did. So, I just cut my dose in half and that did the trick. My doc said .25, Dr B says .125. So, that is an option, too.

When I went back to the doctor and told him, he said he'd never heard of anyone taking such a small dose (or needing to) and I started wondering about how many patients he'd really treated and how much he actually read. Too bad I didn't switch doctors then.

At any rate, I digress :roll: . Hang in there - see what happens, reduce the dose if you need to (of course, I'm not a doctor!), and see if it goes away. Hopefully it will.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I've been on Mirapex for two years now and it works great for me. But I also take a sleep medication because if I don't I wake up 15-20 times each night. I was doing that before the Mirapex so I know it wasn't the cause. Mirapex may not be right for you but hang in there for awhile to give it a chance. Like Views said, maybe the dosage isn't right for you.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Barb G

Post by Barb G »

So far so good. I've only experienced rsl symptoms once since starting the mirapex that was the night after sitting a lot.

What do you think of taking an extra dose for times when you know you'r going to experience symptoms? The doc told me I could take a pill during the day if I had day symptoms.

I've had no realy side effects since the first night. I wake earily than i did but that good.
Barb G

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think you'd be fine to do that, though I never did. If you did, I'd add only a 1/4 or 1/2 of what you already take and see what happens.

You could also try something else - many people find they do better when they use two things together than all of one thing. You could try Ultram or Neurontin and see what happens. Of course, this is all with your doctor's help - can't get the scripts any other way!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I've been having so much trouble with my legs being so tired during the day and aching that I made a doctor's appt and may give Requip another try. See what he says, but something has to give. I sleep okay but can't get my legs going the next day. My last sleep test showed lots of leg movement that I wasn't aware of so that's probably the culprit.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Barb G

Post by Barb G »

I've been amazed at no symptoms on the Mirapex. But suddenly the last week I've had a few episodes of symptoms in afternoon and at night. Still not really bad as I very easily went to sleep. Does this mean I should try a larger dose?

I also had a Ferritin level done and I'm low so I've started Ferrous Sulfate 300 mg. three times a day.

Should I wait for more symptoms before uping my does?

What do you think?
Barb G

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Personally, I would wait. But, I don't know what a doctor would say. To me, if it's not really bothering you, you went to sleep, and/or could stop it quickly by moving around - AND it's not happening all the time, I'd wait it out.

Glad to hear it's working for you! Keep taking that iron - it may really help over time, too,

Managing Your RLS

Barb G

Post by Barb G »

Thanks for the advice. I figured I should wait a bit to.
Barb G

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

So glad that the Mirapex is helping! Love to hear good news. And a reminder to take Vit C with the iron... helps in absorption... If you continue to have problems, I have found that Ultram helps with my daytime RLS. Just a suggestion to an alternative to upping the mirapex.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Barb G

Post by Barb G »

Oh the doc never said anything about vit. c. Thanks. I'm worried I may not be able to keep taking the iron. I think it's giving me tummy aches.
Barb G

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Barb, if you have problems, try these things to help.

If you feel nausea when you take it, go ahead and take it with food. If not, take it without food.

Always take it with vitamin C if you can - drinkin OJ with it is plenty.

If you get contipated (I sure did), increase your water, increase your fiber, maybe walk a little more, and take a fiber supplement if needed. I am extremely lactose intolerant and it has the opposite effect - I quickly learned I could take milk products with it and it would all be fine. If you aren't that lucky, you'll need to search to find what does work for you. Just don't take laxitives all the time - they aren't very good for you if you take them daily.

Stick with it if you can, please! It doesn't help everyone, but some people find their RLS is significantly diminished when they increase their ferritin. It's worth a few months of tummy/GI issues. Really. Truly.

Managing Your RLS

sleeplesskc

Help w/Mirapex

Post by sleeplesskc »

I've been taking Mirapex for about 5 years now, I was one of the first to take it. It has worked great for me as I have a severe case where sleep is impossible without meds. Problem, I lost my insurance and am having trouble affording the $250.00 a month for the med. As there is no generic, any ideas?