Neurontin?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Anonymous

Neurontin?

Post by Anonymous »

For those who have been on it, how well does it seem to work?
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

I've been on Neurontin since about 2000; yes, it has caused a weight gain, caused my personality to change, and at first to feel suicidal. It still works, and I still hate the way it makes me feel; I don't want to leave the house, I feel like at the highest dosage, my intelligence was 100 points lower, but it was the only thing used for peripheral neuropathy at the time. I have been able to take half my former dosage. My sleep disorder doctor tells me it's also good for the RLS and PLMD, but I want off of it completely some time in the near future.

There are some people who take it and are happy with the relief from pain, and don't have the side effects I do. I'm sure they will have something to say.
Jenny

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Emily-
I've been on neurontin for about 2 years now. I have slowly gone up over the years from 100 mg at night to my current whopping dose of 1200 mg before bed. I have definitely had the experience of needing more and more of this drug to combat my symptoms. The good news is that with each dosage increase, I haven't had an increase in side-effects. I haven't noticed any weight gain but the mental changes are definitely present. After my dose at night-I get very lethargic, slightly depressed and my thought process slows way down. Having said that, it has helped tremendously with my RLS (though I now have added narcotics to my regimen) and it has had the added benefit of preventing some of my migraines. I have had absolutely no augmentation from this drug like I had with requip and mirapex. I think the trials with neurontin in RLS have suggested that 1300 to 1800 mg/day is needed to treat RLS but I know alot of people use less. My neurologist said he trys to get all his rls patients up to at least 400 mg per day. Not sure if this helps.

tashton

Post by tashton »

I took neurontin for a little over a year. I was taking 300 mg 4X a day. The side effects were what prompted me to stop taking it. I gained at least 20 pounds. I was very sleepy during the day, foggy brained, unusually thirsty, and I have had two doctors since tell me they don't like the drug. They said too many doctors prescribe it like candy and that the side effects are bad. The doctor that prescribed it for me had no problems with giving me an ample supply and then some. I have not been able to lose all the weight I gained while on neurontin but I feel much better now that I am not taking it anymore. I did have to go through a withdrawal period where I felt lousy. That helped lose a little weight. Mostly I felt like I had the stomach flu. No appetite, tired, stomach upset and diarrehea (sp?). This lasted for about two weeks.

If there is a good side to this medication I would say it would be that it did help with the pain associated with the RLS although it was not working as well when I quit taking it.

Best of luck to you.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tashton

Post by tashton »

When I took neurontin it stopped the need to move sensations as well as the pain.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hmmm...

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

I took 1800 mgs. a day and it had no effect on the RLS at all.
Jenny

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Neurontin helps a lot. I was on 1800 mg, but it was awful for my brain. Couldn't think properly, terrible brainfog during the day. I couldn't stand it anymore and tapered down to 1200 mg, which really was quite difficult to do. My head feels much better, but of course RLS is worse.
I put on a lot of weight, 6 kg's (don't know the American equivalent).

I would give it a good try if I were you, because you never know if it will be ypur miracle drug.

Corrie

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

Good point Corrie! What may work wonderfully for one of us may be like a miracle for others. I have a very negative attitude toward Neurontin, but I have been able to get down to 900 mgs. and it is tolerable. Any more than that, and my brain goes on vacation! And then forgets where its been!
Jenny

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Same thing for me, Jenne.

I forgot to say one thing: Neurontin reaches it's full potential after 2 1/2 - 3 weeks, so pls don't say after one pill that it doesn't work.

Corrie

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Emily,

you could try and ask your neuro for another pill in the same anti-convulsant group, which doesn't have weightgain as a side-effect. Like Topamax, which is known for weightloss, but I don't know if it works as well as Neurontin. Maybe somebody else knows.

Corrie

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

[quote="Jenne1950"][b][i] What may work wonderfully for one of us may be like a miracle for others.

Would someone tell me where my brain is? I seem to have lost it again! :oops: I meant of course what may NOT work for one may be a miracle for others! :)
Jenny