RLS & depression

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Neco

Post by Neco »

It has been my experience that when stopping an anti-depressant, the symptoms will drop back down to "normal" levels. I was actually on Remeron for quite a while and then I became suspicious about it aggravating my RLS, which it hadn't seemed to before.. But after a stretch of a few days without my opiates, I found that less than 30 minutes after taking my Remeron, my symptoms skyrocketed to the point where I had to down a few ounces of wine.

My doctor has my on Luvox (fluvoxamine) 100mg /day right now and so far I have not noticed any effect on my RLS. I thought I would share this, as Luvox is sighted as having some anti-depressant effects. I've gone through some ups and downs since switching, but a large part of it may be due to withdrawl from my opiates that I had to go through. My mood seems pretty stable otherwise. I'm also on it for other reasons, but thought maybe folks with AD troubles might want to give it a try. It's relatively cheap as well. I paid less than $30 for one months supply.

ctravel12

rls & depression

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Zach Thank you for sharing this info with us. You never know as there may be just the one thing you say that will help another member. I am glad that you are doing much better. Keep us updated on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

ditto

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Mark, this is an unknown - they have done no studies to find out and the literature is not filled with any advice. Based on reading many posts over the last few years, it seems that when people get RLS or increased RLS from drugs, the sooner the drug is stopped the more likely the RLS will go to pre-drug levels (which may be to stop completely). However, there are some people whose RLS does NOT return to prior levels. It is more likely related to time, but even this is not always the case. It is not common, but it does happen.

For example, one of the members here had very minor RLS, took ADs for a short time, and got full-blown RLS in more than her legs. It did not go away when the meds were stopped. I had increased RLS from augmentation (happens to some who take the DAs). My doc did not stop the meds and kept me on them but kept increasing them. I ended up with 24/7 RLS that is now ONLY controlled with methadone. In my case, I was on these drugs a LONG, LONG time (18 months). In the other case, it was only a week or so if I remember correctly. BUT, we are the only two cases I know of on this board. (If I've forgotten someone, my apologies.)

Chances are in your favor. But, considering my experience, I would suggest that if you take any drugs that increase your RLS, that you stop them quickly. There is a ton of evidence (in terms of people saying as much on this and several other message boards) that this approach does not result in increased RLS in many people.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.