antidepressants and rls

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
davisri

antidepressants and rls

Post by davisri »

has anyone noticed an increase in rls symptoms with the use of anti-depressant medications? My wife reports a worsening of symptoms with the use of 10 mg of lexapro.

jumpyowl

Say no to antidepressants!

Post by jumpyowl »

Almost everyone has, It is now a well known fact that most antidepressants aggravate the symptoms of RLS.

(3) Antidepressant Medication

This class of medications should be used with caution in RLS patients. Antidepressants can worsen RLS symptoms more often than help them. As depression is a common problem, especially in patients with severe and persistent RLS problems, antidepressants are often prescribed for RLS patients. RLS patients who are put on antidepressants and notice worsening of their symptoms should inform their physician of this problem immediately.

There are no specific guidelines for using antidepressants in RLS, and generally they are used for RLS in the same doses as for depression. The oldest antidepressants, the tricyclics, tend to worsen RLS more than they help. There are two antidepressant drugs, Wellbutrin and Remeron which have more dopamine like effects, so may have theoretically have more positive actions on RLS. This however, has not been looked at systematically yet.

For more info take a look at this website:
http://www.rlshelp.org/rlsrx.htm

You will see this problem discussed on many posts here. The one your wife uses is definitely one drug of the "guilty" groups. :shock:

Tell her to report it to the doctor ASAP. And let us see what he/she says. If the doctor does not agree, it is time to ask for a second opinion or change doctors. Ignorance in this field is definitely not a bliss! :wink: and can cause considerable harm.
Jumpy Owl

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

My good friend Jumpyowl is giving you great info. I shouldn't even be trying to add to his help but I wanted to give my viewpoint for what it is worth. From what I have read and observed, the only anti-depressant that she might be able to use (if that seems to be the course she needs to take) is Wellbutrin. I was on it along with Mirapex for quite awhile and it worked very well for me. I quit taking it because so many people were giving me grief about taking an anti-depressant. Now I am on Mirapex and Neurontin and they just don't help as well. Most of us have come to realize that as individuals, we have to do quite a bit of experimenting to find what works. That's why it is so great to have knowledgable people like Jumpy to help us with the info we need. And to check out the different ideas and different experiences of others here. So take heart, and use the info you find to make your RLS a little more bearable.

jumpyowl

Ruby, you should change your mind.

Post by jumpyowl »

Ruby, you are right, there are antiidepressants that actually increase the dopamine level in the brain. Not too many but Wellbutrin is one of those. If it is good for you, why do you not continue to take it? Heck what everybody else is saying if they are wrong...

We have got to talk!!!! :shock: We have not done it for a while and I have missed you. :oops:
Jumpy Owl

webmasterbill2

Antidepressants

Post by webmasterbill2 »

I started Paxil about a year ago and my RLS took off like a rocket. I had to do a number of things to try and manage it....cut out caffeine almost completely (even decaf coffee has too much), start iron supplements, and take an analgesic at bedtime. This is in addition to the Restoril (7.5mg/night) I was already taking. If I get any non-trivial amount of caffeine at any time of day, RLS rears its ugly head within minutes. The caffeine=RLS sensitivity is almost 100% due to Paxil. I wish I could quit it, but my doc advises against that , at least for now.
-Bill

jumpyowl

Hello

Post by jumpyowl »

Webmaster, you may want a second opinion from someone who knows RLS!

Would you like to fill out a questionnaire. Your type of case is needed.
If so, e-mail me for a form.
Jumpy Owl