will weight lifting make RLS worse

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
MLM1958

will weight lifting make RLS worse

Post by MLM1958 »

My husband has RLS and lately nothing will stop his leg movements while sleeping. He has been on neurotin for a number of years and over the last 9 months, the doctor has prescribed many different medications, none of which worked or made him so tired that he couldnt function during the day. He is now back on neurotin. He also has depression and takes 2 anti depressents and verapil for migranes. 2 years ago he started extensive weight lifting and intakes a lot of protein and amino acids. Exercising has been said to help RLS but not in his case. anyone have any knowledge about supplements and or weight lifting.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Exercising can aggravate RLS in some help others, yet from what I read, it is the leg movements - kicking at night that has gotten worse, not the RLS sensations? Is it possible that his leg movements are something other than RLS, maybe PLMD? Has he had a sleep study?

If his RLS sensations were worse I might think it is related to the anti depressants and the medicine changes. My RLS was worse when trying to go through a multitude of treatments - the doctor would have me try this medication one week, something else the next, or add something that the side affects I couldn't handle. Anti depressants have been known to increase RLS sensations.

I am sure others will have more suggestions and someone more familiar with weight training and supplements may have suggestions you can use.

*****Positive Thoughts********* Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi MLM,

Excessive exercise definitely worsens RLS for many of us. I have a "zone" that I need to stay within. If I do less, then I have more RLS. If I do more, like going on a hiking trip, I will have more RLS. I also have to work into my zone - if I've stopped exercising regularly, I can guarantee worsened RLS for the first two or three weeks until I get used to it again. But, as I said, I still can't do more than a certain amount.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rfish1966

Excercise

Post by rfish1966 »

I left weights 5 days a week most of the time. For me it dose make things worse symptom wise, but on a personal level if I do not push myself, I tend to go the other route and not do it at all, especially legs.Happy to hear he is still lifting!