The Beer Experiments - An Update

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
mikepsyche

The Beer Experiments - An Update

Post by mikepsyche »

For those who may have read the first 2 posts on the beer experiments, I thought I would update you on what's been happening.

A month ago, I was taking 6 or more oxycontin 10mg/day. When I last posted on June 23, I had gotten through a week on 2-3/day. This past week has been a solid 2 only per day, and I have had a full night's rest every night. Even as I am writing this, it still seems unreal to me.

During this week, I have also had the occasional glass of wine, which before would have guaranteed me a night of RLS torture. This week, it really didn't affect me.

What I cannot explain is that I wake up after 7-8 hours feeling good, but feeling like I could still sleep a few more hours. Maybe my body is just trying to catch up on years (decades) of lack of sleep. Anyways, it has felt good to sleep.

My supplement dosing has changed. I have switched creatine manufacturers, and I think it has made a difference. I am now taking only ~1 tsp (5gm) four times a day, methylcobalamin 1000mcg 3-4/day, and B complex 1/day. I find that my need for melatonin is still there, and am taking 2-3/night.

I don't know if anyone else has tried what I have done. If so, I would be interested in hearing your experiences. Just remember, I have been taking these supplements for months, and only recently have I started seeing this dramatic improvement in my RLS.

-Mike

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Mike,

I've tried but am inconsistent with remembering the creatine. So far, it hasn't helped. But, it took you months to reduce yours, so I'll keep trying.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

bmwflora

Post by bmwflora »

Alcohol sends me into immediate symptoms... especially beer for some reason. This thread caught my eye. Was this your experience in te past as well? thanks
Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous. Confucius

mikepsyche

Post by mikepsyche »

Yes, that has been my experience as well. The effect of the beer had been very predictable. But things are different for me now.

I hope to post shortly another update about some continued improvement, and the changes I have made in my approach.

Thank you for your interest.

-Mike

b_rwhite5

Post by b_rwhite5 »

Hi Mike. Congradulations on your success with the meds and RLS. It takes a very head strong person to be able to go from 6 oxycontins a day ( or any opiate) to 2-3 a day. That is very difficult for anyone much less for someone who has RLS. I know this because I have been there. I don't know if you have read my thread about Loritab addiction, but I became addicted to Loritabs (also an opiate) because I had so much pain caused by something that no doctor could diagnose. Back then, I had no insurance and every doctor treated like a hypocondriact (sp?). I am sure you have had that same experience before. I started taking methadone to help me with my pain and addiction and I am finally down to my last 15mgs. I didn't know that RLS was what was causing my problem until a few months ago. My doctor has recommended that I not detox anymore until we find a med that will help me with my pain for fear that I might relapse.I really admire your strength. I am so glad that you have been able to find some relief.

I am not sure about your situation, but I know from experience that when some people become dependant on a narcotic, sometimes their brain will somehow convince their body that they are in pain or more pain than they are. I am not saying that you were not hurting, because you were, but the dependency will make the pain seem more or worse than it is. I don't know if you became dependant and even if you did, this may not be the case for you. Everyone is different. I found that after I stop taking the Loritabs, I didn't hurt as much. So I asked my doctor why and that is what he told me. I don't know if this makes any since. The mind is very powerful and it can do some amazing things.

I hope I didn't offend you in anyway. That was not my intention. I just wanted to tell you about my experience in hope that I might be able to help. I wish you the best of luck. I hope you will keep us posted. I am very curious as to how this all works out for you. I am amazed by your strength.

Good luck and God Bless!
Rebecca

necron99

Post by necron99 »

b_rwhite5 wrote:I am not sure about your situation, but I know from experience that when some people become dependant on a narcotic, sometimes their brain will somehow convince their body that they are in pain or more pain than they are.

Actually what happens is with prolonged narcotic use, your endogenous opiate receptors downgrade, which in turn causes you to have a lower tolerance to pain. Some people become extreamly hypersensitve to pain, even years after they stop taking narcotics. In fact they say in some people, this is permanent. This , from what I have read and heard at pharmacutical meetings, is the biggest drawback to long term narcotic treatment. Its a frightening thought for me, who am only 27 and already on daily oxycodone. I am hoping that I can find other treatments that work, but as of now, a bunch of vitamins and the oxycodone are my only hope at a productive life with out debilitating pain and RLS.
Ill get to this later

BeanieLee

Post by BeanieLee »

I'm 28 and I depend on hydromorphone on a daily basis, also a youngster in the narcotic boat and I have to say that after learning about all of the cons and side effects of all different meds used to treat rls, the narcotics are still the trusted, "clean" drugs that I prefer. They've been around forever. These drugs like requip and sinemet come with so many horror stories just from the short term use people have experienced thus far. Not to mention what will come of long term use of these drugs. They're scary. Do we know what they do to someone who doesn't have parkinsons and uses them for ten years? When a small dose of a drug causes such immense side effects it's because the body is trying hard to reject that drug. It doesn't agree with it. People may experience some wooziness from narcotics and get sleepy but the body doesn't fight to reject narcotics like it does the newer drugs. Addictive or not, they just feel plain safer to me.
The light of a good character surpasseth the light of the sun