Cymbalta

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
brandy

Cymbalta

Post by brandy »

My dad is a drug rep and was speaking with a doctor or another rep who mentioned Cymbalta. It is actually a drug for depression, but has been approved for diabetice neuropathy (like Neurotin). Has anyone heard anything about its use with RLS?
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's in the SSRI or SNRI family and will most likely worsen RLS. Any drug that improves seratonin comes with a risk for making RLS worse. Not sure, but I assume it has to do with the fact we are short on dopamine. When these drugs focus on seratonin or norepinephrine, they either cut down the dopamine, block it, or some such.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

brandy

Post by brandy »

Thanks, Ann. I had a feeling since it was for depression and drugs for depression seem to make RLS worse, that this might be the case. The neuropathy indication threw me off. Thanks for your response.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer