Zofran and Tramadol

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
sistergoldenhair

Anti-Nausea Drugs

Post by sistergoldenhair »

This is a cross posting - I was in the hospital last month with a GI virus, and had the list of drugs to avoid with me, so I was able to tell the Dr.'s in the ER what anti-nausea meds I couldn't take. I received one of the alternative drugs suggested on the list - ZOFRAN (it's spelled SOFRAN on the list), and it worked without causing an RLS flare. If it hadn't been for this information and this site, I might have been thrashing around after receiving one of those other anti-nausea drugs. Thanks. :D

jedsono27

I am trying to figure out where tramadol falls into play

Post by jedsono27 »

I take tramadol to help with my RLS.

I was trying to understand the first post but I got a little confused.

Is tramadol one of the medicine that they think and irritate RLS?

I can tell you what medicine brought my RLS on and I know specifically when it happen ,,

I was taking welbutran to try to quit smoking, I was not using it as an anti depressant, My doctor gave it to me to quit smoking,,

When I started taking that is when I began experiencing RLS ,, It took me a while to figure out what it was but welburtran is what brought my RLS on , If I had to find a drug to blame,, but that is just me,,

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Jennifer

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sister, it's great that the list helped you! Did you have one of the cards, or just take in a list?

Jennifer, not sure I understand the question. Tramadol isn't on that list, is it? I hope not! It is not one that should make RLS worse, though we are al different and even the drugs that help most, may not help (or may worsen) RLS for others.

Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant, though it usually doesn't affect RLS - sometimes it even helps it. It's too bad it didn't help you and actually brought on the RLS. Oh, I just remembered something. It may actually have been the stopping smoking that contributed to the RLS. At least two people on the We Move discussion board have written that their RLS worsened when they quit smoking. Since then, I've learned the smoking can increase dopamine, so it may help keep RLS in check. When you stopped, you didn't have that anymore. This isn't scientific and it sure might be the Wellbutrin. It's just one more possibility for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jedsono27

Smoking and Welbutrin

Post by jedsono27 »

Thanks so much for your information regarding smoking and welbutrin.

When I brought up the Tramadol, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't on a list of a bad medication to take for RLS, It does wonders for me , I just wanted to make sure it wasn't making things worse in the long run,

This site is so very helpful and I appreciate all of the input you give me, Thanks so much

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

There has been some speculation that Ultram may cause augmentation but Dr. B from rlshelp.org says he has not seen any problem with this so far.

I have found Tramadol/Ultram helpful in managing my daily RLS...

Although Ultram/Tramadol does lower the seizure threshold, this is generally only a issue in those with a seizure disorder (epilepsy) or those taking multiple other drugs that also lower the seizure threshold.

Hazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

sistergoldenhair

Zofran/Tramadol/Weebutrin/Smoking ETC.

Post by sistergoldenhair »

I'm sorry if my previous post was unclear - the list I was referring to listed medications for OTHER conditions that, if taken by RLS patients, might worsen their RLS. Specifically, I was referring to anti-nausea drugs.
The link is on this site for anyone who wants the list. My Dr. also gave me extra doses of Requip while I was in the hospital, since I was confined to bed. Anyway, if you ever have to take an anti-nausea drug, the Zofran worked for me and didn't worsen the RLS. One that I know for sure mades mine worse is Phenergan, another anti-nausea drug- avoid it if you can.

I have a card, but it's easier to carry the printed list with me. It also lists antihistamines and anti-depressants and some others, both Rx and OTC.

Interesting, Wellbutrin helped my RLS; unfortunately, had to sto taking it 'cause it makes me jittery. I quit smoking over 8 years ago, and can't say it made any difference one way or another, but obviously, the health benefits of being a non-smoker are tremendous. I wouldn't smoke again even if it cured my RLS permanently.

I'll look into Tramodol (SP?) - though Requip seems to be working ok for the time being.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

I carry one of those cards myself. Also gave the dr who is monitoring my RLS treatment a print out of medications for my records. Hopefully someone would look at it if there is ever an emergency medical situation!

Hazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

jedsono27

Tramadol is all that works for me

Post by jedsono27 »

I have wanted to try requip but honestly I am afraid of having a rough night without my tramadol. I guess it would be ok to try as long as I had my tramadol but I am so afraid of having a restless night or day for that matter that I haven't tried it.

Does it help you sleep. I notice that tramadol does make me sleepy so it helps me get to sleep, does the requip do the same?

I might try it out, I guess I need to get a sample and see how it works, did it work immediately for you when you tried it the first time,

i guess what I am wondering is if I will know immediately if it will work for me or if I need to give it a couple of days first,

let me know what you think

Thanks
jennifer