WARNING: DRUGS TO AVOID FOR RLS/PLMD PATIENTS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
uncontrollable jerk

Post by uncontrollable jerk »

Soma does aggravate my symptoms of RLS.
Julie

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

TxSongBird wrote:Steroid inhalers for my asthma seem to make my leg issues worse. I have to take it though so I just have to make do until my breathing returns to normal on those days.

Donna

Only just saw this post :oops:

I'm on a corticosteroid acuhaler to combat a side effect of cabergoline ... a rather annoying cough that has me battling to get three words out in a row.

I can't say that it has had any great impact on my RLS, but will be keeping an eye on things now that i've read this.

Thanks for the info Donna!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Big "BUMP" for the newbies

Moderators ... do you think we could make this a sticky ... or somehow consolidate the information in this post into a more easily readable format?
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think it is a good idea to consolidate it some how. I'll talk to the others a see what they think. In a sticky in this section maybe we could but the following together:

Drugs not to take
Algorithm
Basic info on the drugs (I could take it out of the new to RLS sticky)
Side effects of the drugs

Anyone else have any ideas?

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

I think that is a great idea! And couldn't we have it in the new to RLS section as well or is that too repetitive? Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

I've had to take cortisone injections in my back and they drive my legs crazy. The minute I get sleepy, no matter what time or reason, the legs start, particularly the left one. Don't know why, but it's worse than the right.
Jenny

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

We have many new people registering, so it might be useful to have this up at the top ... if any of the newbies have medications which have caused or increased RLS problems please add your info. Thanks Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

brandy

Post by brandy »

I was given Dilaudid for a serious migraine and it nearly drove me insane.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

becat

Post by becat »

ok Ya'll not sure if this will happen to anyone else, but just in case will pass it on.
Last week I was diagnosed with borderline strep throat and pneumonia, making one viral and one bactiral. To treat this my GP (whom I dearly love) gave me Omnicef for an antibotic and some Allfen DM to make this stuff in my lungs come up. Well, you know after the first day the Allfen stayed unopened again, for all the right reasons, my legs, arms, etc.....
But by last night I has a major creepy crawly attack. I still have it. in fact
uuufaaa no rest and the itching is just about too much right now.
Yup have a call into the doc, but he's not so RLS savy, so we'll see how long it last or what we can do to make it stop.
I just want a decent cough and a little sleep here! :D
Love hugs and the moon.
Lynne

runsinbed

Generics of "danger" drugs

Post by runsinbed »

Sadly, I know this stuff off the top of my head, so here ya go:

Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Antivert (meclizine), Atarax (hydroxyzine), Bonine (meclizine), Compazine (prochlorperazine maleate), Phenergan (promethazine), thorazine (chlorpromazine), Tigan (trimethobenzamide), Trilaton (perphenazine), Vistaril (hydroxyzine), Reglan (metoclopramide)

Haldol (haloperidol), Loxitane (loxapine), Mellaril (thioridazine), Moban (molindone), Navane (thiothixene), Prolixin (fluphenazine), Risperdal (risperidone), Serentil (mesoridazine), Stelazine (trifluoperazine), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Vesperin (???)

ANTIDEPRESSANTS:
__________all can cause worsening of RLS with the possible exception of
Remeron (mirtazapine), Serzone (nefazodone) and Wellbutrin (bupropion)

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and OTC/Rx combination cold/sinus/cough medications:
Actifed, Comtrex, Contact, DimeTapp, Triaminic, Theraflu, Vicks cough syrup, Tylenol PM, Exedrin PM, Bayer PM. (various include: acetaminophen, aspirin, ibuprofen, pseudoephedrine, triprolodine, dextromethorphan, chlorpheniramine, phenypropanalomine)

BTW: any of these chemical names followed by hydrochloride, sodium, potassium, phosphate or anything has no real meaning. Also, any of these drugs in an extended release form, would still be the same drug.

runsinbed

Duh!

Post by runsinbed »

Okay, so now I see how old the posts in this thread are and that it has, indeed, been made into a sticky. But, since it appears that the generics might still be needed, maybe the generics list could be added to the sticky? I'm afraid I don't know the protocol on that--if it's okay for me to just make the link.

Okay, I'm just a BIT behind! :oops:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Runs,

Yeah, it can be tough to figure it all out. There is a post in the Pharma "sticky" that links right back to this thread. From my thinking, anyone who wants more specific info should come here and read the whole thread. Then they get all lists. We have multiple problems with this - some people are in different countries, too, and the sames are not the same - generic or prescription.

Hope this is starting to make some sense. . .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

coaster

Post by coaster »

I found this thread interesting because my doctor is unaware of medications that might exacerbate RLS. However, my own experience confirms this least, as I have tried almost all the anti-depressants for my FMS, and finally found one (and only one) that works: good old-fashioned Wellbutrin.

Tofi

Re: WARNING: DRUGS TO AVOID FOR RLS/PLMD PATIENTS

Post by Tofi »

jumpyowl wrote:Nadia already referred to this reference and I thought it would be convenient to have the list of medications on this forum that are known to exacerbate the symptoms of RLS/PLMD:

--------------------WARNING!--------------------

The following medications (dopamine antagonists) may cause significant worsening of RLS symptoms in some patients:

ANTI-NAUSEATES:

__________Benadryl, Antivert, Atarax, Bonine, Compazine, Phenergan, thorazine, Tigan, Trilaton, Vistaril, Reglan. Suggested alternatives: Kytril, Sofran

ANTIPSYCHOTICS:

__________Haldol, Loxitane, Mellaril, Motan, Navane, Prolixin, Risperdal, Serentil, Stelazine, Thorazine, Vesperin

ANTIDEPRESSANTS:I am in the processs of trying an antidepressent and agree that many worsen rls. I appreciate the three drugs for depression that may not.

__________all can cause worsening of RLS with the possible exception of
Remeron, Serzone and Wellbutrin

ANTIHISTAMINES:

__________Benadryl and OTC/Rx combination cold/sinus/cough medications:

__________Actifed, Comtrex, Contact, DimeTapp, Triaminic, Theraflu, Vicks cough syrup, Tylenol PM, Exedrin PM, Bayer PM.

jiggyanne

Managing RLS

Post by jiggyanne »

I'm new to this group. I feel like I've found relatives. I'm 72 and I've had RLS most of my life. My mother had it and all four of my kids have it. It seems to be worse lately, but I am taking Paxil. Perhaps I should talk to my doc about that. I'm taking Requip which is okay. It works best when I take it soon enough, as soon as I feel jigginess. It also works best when taken in combination with Quinine Sulfate which has been prescribed to me for leg cramps. Strangely, I've found that playing games or working on the computer helps to calm my legs. The only thing about that that I can figure, is that it activates the right side of your brain and calms the left side. I don't know, is the RLS problem located on the left side? Or is it the dopamine that gets produced when you play a game? Ask me anything. I've had this a looong time.
Anne