WARNING: DRUGS TO AVOID FOR RLS/PLMD PATIENTS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
TxSongBird

Post by TxSongBird »

Steroid inhalers for my asthma seem to make my leg issues worse. I have to take it though so I just have to make do until my breathing returns to normal on those days.

Donna
Donna

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Curious, I was wondering the same thing. For asthma I use advir inhaler... allebuteral inhaler and flonaise... does anyone have problems with any of these? Hazel

becat

Hi Hazel

Post by becat »

Hi Hazel,
I didn't have much problem with the Flonase this summer when I was sick, but the Allebuteral I did.
I notice that my son, thankfully Mild RLS, does have more problems when he requires the inhaler as well.
Hugs to ya.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the insights. Here's to better days a coming! Hazel

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

nudging up

Butterfoot

Flexeril

Post by Butterfoot »

I've been checking the "drugs to avoid" list and have not found muscle relaxants on it. I switched from Percocet to Flexeril last week, last dose in the late afternoon or early evening, and the RLS is back with a vengence. I've had quite a few nights with hardly any sleep, and as I type this at 1pm EST, my shoulders and upper arms are very twitchy deep down to the bone. I'm wondering if the Percocet was the great reliever of RLS instead of the DA's I've been taking, or if the Flexeril is causing the problem. Has anyone experienced or heard of this happening?? :(
May only good come your way.

Post by Guest »

I take Soma on a nightly basis and I have had no issue with it and the RLS. I take 500 mg of Soma for my Fibromyalgia.

TxDonna

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can't remember what Flexeril did to me. I know it didn't help the RLS, but it was a long time ago. Percocet is often a great RLS reliever. Combined with the DAs, it may have been a very good match for the RLS. Someone posted recently on the Yahoo RLS board that Soma did make their RLS worse, so maybe some muscle relaxers do bother some people.

Maybe you could try Ultram instead of the Percocet? Oh, and how long ago did you stop the Percocet and for how long did you take it? There is usually a week or so of increased RLS symptoms when you stop an opiate/opioid and have been taking it for awhile. So, could be that the RLS is acting up because you stopped the Percocet and it will quiet down in a few days.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

hello

Post by becat »

Hi Butterfoot, Miss Ann and Miss Donna,
I used Flexeril early on, I'm like Ann......it didn't make things worse, just didn't seem to effect my RLS for the better.
Yes, again with Ann, Percocet would be better than a muscle relaxer. At least it was that way for me.
Hang in there.
Hugs.

Butterfoot

flexoril or percocet

Post by Butterfoot »

Hey Donna, Ann and Becat,

Well, it must have been the lack of percocet, just as you said. I went to the orthopedic doc today after I posted the question, and he gave me another script for it. I took one when I got home, and lo and behold the achy, twitchy, hinky feeling is almost gone....and I just took my DA's a few minutes ago. I don't want to take percocet AND flexeril, so guess what I'm tossing! The flexeril made me feel like I was fighting my way through sludge just to get the smallest chore done anyway, so I certainly won't miss it.

I think the percocet with the DA's is the fix for now. I had been taking the percocet for a few months for tendonosis before I was diagnosed, and was having RLS symptoms daily, so I guess it's the combination of the 3 (percocet, sinemet and permax), although I usually only take percocet during the daytime hours when I need to be able to function with less pain. Whatever works! Ann, I had stopped the percocet about 2 wks ago, so what you said makes alot of sense.

I doubt my neuro will prescribe an opioid, he seemed to frown on it when I showed him the list of medications for RLS. However, my orthopedic doc says with diabetes, I need to get used to the idea of painful tendonosis for the rest of my life, and expect regular visits to him for help with that. I think I will ask the neuro on my next visit for something lighter than percocet to take at night with the DA's, such as Ultram like you suggested. I certainly don't want to be taking percocet day and night.

Tonight, I'm moving better and free of pain and those old wonky RLS symptoms. Thanks so much for your input!

((((HUGS TO YA'LL))))

Margot
May only good come your way.

baphelp

Post by baphelp »

Does anyone know if anti-inflammatory meds make RLS symptoms worse? I know I read something about them before, even saw some kind of pocket size card you could order but I cannot find it again.

Beth

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Baphelp... Not certain about the anti inflammatories... in the New to RLS section thread titled useful websites, is a link to download the medical card... hope the link works ... Hazel

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=94

Kisster

Post by Kisster »

I'm not sure about all anti-inflammatories, but I remember reading somewhere (older posts on other forums) where some people complained of Vioxx and Celebrex causing RLS to be worse.

I took Relafen for about a month for a shoulder injury and it didn't seem to make my RLS any worse, it actually seemed to help a bit with some of my symptoms that would creep up at odd times of the day.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Flexeril was the second drug the doctor prescribed... took it around 7pm couple hours before I would go to bed, it made me very groggy, crawled to bed woke up at 10:30 with my legs straight in the air...felt like someone had cut them off with a chain saw. Needless to say I didn't take it again, as I did not like to feel that drugged nor did I want that pain!

I took both vioxx and celebrex before I knew about RLS. Had blood pressure problems with vioxx and had to be hospitalized. Celebrex not certain if it made the problem worse, I just knew it didn't help so I quit taking it.

Nudging back to top of list... Hazel

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Bump
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.