nocturnal myoclonus

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
genestevens

nocturnal myoclonus

Post by genestevens »

can someone recommend a good drug to control nocturnal myoclonus. i wake up several times causing insomnia. I do not have RLS in the traditional sense but do have body jerks which cause me to wake up repeatedly. the dr. recommended Klonipin but I'm hesitatnt to try a barbituate. Any ideas are welcomed.

jumpyowl

Nocturnal myoclonus

Post by jumpyowl »

Gene, these are rare. Do you actually have painful cramps when you wake up? :shock:

You could have an extreme Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. People have over 20 arousals or near arousals per hour who has PLM. But usually do not wake up, Just come up to level 2.

What you need is a good quality sleep study with a polysomnograph. This can detect all kinds of sleep abnormality, quantitate how much deep sleep you have, can also rule out several disorders.

Klonopin is not a barbiturate but rather a benzodiazepine. It is worth a try. You could also use one from the same group that is less long-acting. So you do not feel druggy the next morning.

However, I would opt for a good diagnosis first. 8)
Jumpy Owl

scootermom

myoclonus

Post by scootermom »

I just saw my new Neurologist in Las Vegas. He's a bit crude, but I think he knows what he is talking about.

He says I have nocturnal myoclonus (he called them field goals), neupopathy and possible narcolepsy. I'm going for a bunch of blood tests and a sleep study for the RLS and narcolepsy.

I'm on Mirapex and now he started me on Klonopin. Best night's sleep I've had in years. Told me the best to take was B Complex. He also said to wait on the iron until the blood tests came back. WIth everything, iron could be bad for me.

Will just have to wait and see!

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi Lauren, nowadays the term most often used for nocturnal myoclonus is "PLMD" or periodic limb movement disorder. Both terms mean the same thing, so don't be confused when people around here talk about PLMD or PLM. It just means you kick involuntarily, usually in your sleep. Some of us have it when we're awake as well. Usually Mirapex will help with the kicking.

A sleep study is always a good idea, and kind of fun, too. They can't diagnose RLS, though, just PLMD or apnea or some other things. RLS can only be diagnosed by the doctor listening your description of your symptoms.

Your current treatment sounds promising since you had a great night's sleep. I hope it continues!
Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

I have myoclonic jerks myself.. They seem to be a side effect of methadone and/or opiates in general.. However I didn't notice it a lot when I have been on Vicodin at various points.

Not as bad as nocturnal, but surely almost as annoying.. There is nothing like ALMOST being asleep and then suddenly your body jerks you awake. :roll:

psychick

Post by psychick »

I also have both rls and pretty severe plmd (nocturnal myclonus). Sleep study indicated that I'm basically running a marathon in my sleep and my arousals aren't very frequent...but tell that to my drowsy self the next day!

All I can tell you about the meds is based on my personal experience...I tried both Mirapex and ReQuip - I had an unusual reaction to these and didn't sleep for days, plus my RLS skyrocketed, so I'm not going near that class of drug again.

I take neurontin and helps some, but if I take more than 300mg (very low dose) I'm super drowsy the next day...so the solution is as bad as the problem. Plus I've notice name and word finding difficulties...I have trouble with recall of names and words that didn't happen nearly as much before I started taking it. My neurologist has suggested Klonopin, but again, since the reason i want to take the meds is feel rested and be more alert the next day...the meds side effects cause the very effect I'm taking them to mitigate! Very frustrating. I also take lunesta (my other sleep issue is severe insomnia), but it's not a med that you're supposed to take long-term, so I try not to take it more than 3x a week. The combination of lunesta and neurontin is the most restful combination for me.

That being said, it is comforting to know that my sleep issues are genuine and medically based and that I'm not alone in my quest to have better more restful sleep.

scootermom

All the jerks!

Post by scootermom »

Thanks SquirmingSusan for the info. From what I read, the difference btw PLMS and NM is the pain. Either way... argh