Experiences with Methadone

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Hm, my maternal grandmother was a redhead. Interesting.

Also, my stepdaughter, who does not actually have red hair, has redhead skin (very pale, with orangey freckles, and cannot tan) and is very sensitive to pain and insensitive to painkillers.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

No redheads in my family. Interesting, though.

BeanieLee

Post by BeanieLee »

I come from a huge Irish family. While I'm dark Irish, at least half of my relatives are pure red heads. I definitely have the gene even though I got mama's pretty brown hair. :P Very interesting stuff.
The light of a good character surpasseth the light of the sun

b_rwhite5

Post by b_rwhite5 »

RLJames,
I was wondering if you got all of questions answered about methadone? I have been on methadone for 4 years now and I would be happy to help.
I have done lots of research on methadone and asked lots of questions. If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know. You can also e-mail me. Good Luck.
Rebecca

RLJames

Methadone

Post by RLJames »

Hi Rebecca,

I've maintained my methadone to 5mg and as I said it calms my nerves just enough so that the Lunesta can keep me asleep throughout the night. It doesn't, however, keep my legs completely still. I wonder if I increase it to 10mg or even to 15mg will it then improve or quiet my rsl? In order words, I've almost given up on having my legs completely still--that's the grail's quest. It would be wonderful, after trying so many meds, if the methadone can accomplish theat quest. Another question I have is: how much methadone can I take before I can become addicted to it? Don't have addiction issues but I am very wary about taking a "narcotic"? Don't trust it.

Thanks for following through my post.

Alden.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

omg, i just read about the redhead thing, i am a natural redhead and so was my grandpa. we both have red hair and blue eyes. i too have to take more than the avg person does when it comes to pain meds. what i take would knock my hubby completely out and i function through the day like i just took a tylenol. when it comes to vicodin or tylenol3, i have to take 3 at a time. weird ain't it. i am gonna have to research this topic, thanks for bringing it up.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Kwazylegs

Post by Kwazylegs »

Ann
If you're there, could you please answer a question I have? On Sept. 7 you posted on this thread that prior to taking Mirapex your RLS symptoms were relatively mild, and that if you hadn't experienced the severe augmentation from Mirapex you probably would only need medications for the control of your PLMD. You might know from some of my recent posts that I have increasing pain in my right leg, which I think might be caused by my PLMD. I remember you posting somewhere that the most effective meds for PLMD are the DA's. Since I've experienced what I think is augmentation from Mirapex and Requip, what other medications might work to calm PLMD? This would really help me and my doctor. Thanks. ---Andy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Opioids.

SOme people also have luck with the benzos, but that is more spotty. They think these help them sleep through the jerks, but it does not stop them.

The Methadone diminishes many and stops some of my PLMD. DH can still see some, but they are much less, I don't wake up, etc.

There's a thread somewhere that analyzes treatments for PLMD - not sure - try the New to RLS sticky on managing RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

http://www.geneticsandhealth.com/2005/0 ... tolerance/

for all you redheaded women out there

dee[url][/url]
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Kwazylegs

Post by Kwazylegs »

Thanks Ann,
I checked out some of the links from the New to RLS Sticky...and by some of the definitions of PLMD, I'm not sure if that's what's causing my pain. You mentioned a "jerking" kind of movement, but what I'm vaguely aware of in my semi-conscious early morning hours is a sense of tightness in the muscles of my legs which causes me to hyper-extend those muscles. and I repeat this often from (I'm guessing) 3AM untill I wake up completely. This stretching apparently isn't rapid, but rather slow and subtle...my wife doesn't notice me kicking or thrashing or anything. The 2 sleep study reports state that I do have PLMD, though, so I don't know what the heck is going on with my legs, except for the RLS which I know I have for sure. My doctor's hesitating to prescribe stronger narcotics than tramadol or Tylenol 3, but would rather refer me to a pain center...I'm going to ask him if he knows of a neuro that specializes in movement disorders, and who's in my HMO network. I'd rather try that before going to a pain clinic that'll probably give me an epidural for the pain (rather than eliminate the cause of the pain). Thanks again for the quick reply. ---Andy

b_rwhite5

Post by b_rwhite5 »

Alden,

First of all I am currently at 15mgs. I am trying to detox off of it, but unfortunately I will probably have to be on it for the rest of my life because it helps my RLS and I haven't found much else that does. I can tell that the methadone helps the "jerks" to some degree, but not completely. Ofcourse, it is different for everyone. You may or may not get more relief if you take a higher dose. I have a high tolerance for meds and I find that they only help a short time and I have to increase my dose. Some do not have to. If you find that it isn't helping as much, you may want to consider increasing the dose, however, even 2 or 3mgs can make a big difference.

You have every right to be concerned about addiction. Methadone is very addictive.The good thing about methadone ( according to experts) is that its not as hard to detox from it as other narcotics. It has been pretty easy for me to detox, but I have took my time. I would only decrease by 2-5mgs at a time. I haven't had any "major" withdrawls. I have had a few, but nothing that I couldn't handle. There is a very high risk that you will become addicted if you decide to stay on it. You could become addicted even ay 5mgs if you were on it long enough. Its really different with everyone. One good way to find out would be not to take it for a few days to see if have any withdrawl symptoms. Methadone has a long high-life so you may not notice any withdrawls for a day or two. You might want to compare the good to the bad. Decide if you were to become addicted, could you detox if you had to. Withdrawls can be a very ugly thing. Methadone is a wonderful drygwhen it comes to the pain. If you talk to your doctor I am sure he will help you take cautionary measures to see that you don't become addicted. He may see the signs of addiction before you do.

I hope I have helped some. I hope you find whats right for you. Methadone has been like a miracle drug for me. I have noticed how well it really helped me since I started detoxing. The less I take, the worse the pain gets. Its not right for everyone. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to write anytime. I would love to help any way I can. RLS is bad enough. It helps to have someone to talk to who knows what you are going through.

Take care.
Rebecca

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Alden and Rebecca,

Just felt the need to clarify addiction versus dependence.

All of usbecome physically dependent on medications in the opioids class. Also, we become dependent on many other classes such as bezodiazepenes, SSRIs, etc. When we stop them, we go through withdrawal. The withdrawal varies based on the drug and our phyisology. We may stop them easily, or with great difficulty as our bodies adjust to them no longer being in our system.

Addiction is when you are physically dependent, emotionally dependent and begin to change your behavior in order to attain the drug - this includes lying, scamming doctors, etc. This proces often starts with needing more and more drug to resolve the problem. TAddiction to opioids for RLS is extremely rare; it is much more common when they are used for pain.

Dr Buchfurer, one of the doctors on the RLS Foundations Medical Advisory board, uses Methadone with many patients. In my conversations with him, he has indicated that he uses it because it tends to be very easy for people to stop (especially when they only use it once a day). He's had practically no problems over many years with his patients becoming addicted, and even dependence has not been a big issue.

I'm all for being careful. For making healthy decisions for your body. But, that includes making decisions that allow you to have a reasonable quality of life. Like you, Rebecca, I wil most likely be on this for a long time to come because it works, and not much else (if anything) does. While I'm on it, I can work and do the many things I could not do until I was prescribed this drug. Nope, it's not a wonderdrug - it doesn't help everyone - but for me it has given me my life back.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Ann- Thanks for the healthy reminder of the difference between addiction and tolerance/dependance. I think physicians are in desperate need of this reminder. Too many of them think we are addicts and too many us believe them!
Josh

doety

thx

Post by doety »

Thanks again, Ann, for the explanation. People ask me about addiction and I say well, I'm addicted to two drugs right now and this should get it down to one pretty soon. I had another blessed 8 hours of sleep last night, was even able to cuddle with DH without feeling like I was being electrified. I am so hopeful!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Doety, now you can say you are dependent on a drug instead of being addicted. Congrats on the continued withdrawal from Mirapex. Hope it continues to go well. The K will take a bit longer - just take it slow. Hopefully you are part of those who have no difficulty.

Managing Your RLS