Experiences with Methadone

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
b_rwhite5

Post by b_rwhite5 »

Ann, I am very sorry. I should have made a point to explain the differences between addiction and dependency. What I should have said is that if you remain in your doctors care and take your meds as prescribed and only as prescribed, addiction is very rare. It is when you have that urge to take alittle extra that addiction can sneak in. As with most meds, dependency is usually inevitable and many people will have some type of withdrawls if they stop suddenly. That is why you are told to never stop taking your meds unless instructed to do so by your doctor. Addiction often runs in the family. As many of you know, after a car accident, I began having terrible back and leg pain. Eventually, I found myself taking the 6 Loritab 10s prescribed by my doc and my husbands perscription and occasionally I would buy some from a "friend". I literally could not do any normal daily tasks without getting my "fix". I could not go anywhere or even go outside or talk on the phone without taking the pills. I would take two or three at a time. I began to realize that it didn't matter how many pills I took, I would never feel "normal". So I started methadone treatment. Methadone saved my life. I love methadone. I just wanted to make it clear that although most people do not become addicted, methadone is very easy to become addicted to if you don't stick with your prescribed dose. You can become dependant on any dose, large or small, and you may experience withdrawls. It never hurts to be safe and careful. Ann is exactly right. Addiction is rare for people taking opiods for pain. Addiction usually occurs when someone takes it to get high. They abuse the meds, using them for purposes other than what they were meant for. I never took anything but Loritabs and I never had anything more than a Loritab 10, but its was how often and how many I took that caused me to become addicted. Although I became addicted because of my stupidity, I believe that if the doctor took the time to find out why I was in pain and prescribed me the meds that would actually help me, I would have never became an addict. I am the one who made me an addict. As many of you know, when you are in so much pain for so long you will try almost anything to find even the slightest relief.

Addiction controls you, it controls your life. Methadone isn't as easy to become addicted to as meds like Loritabs. For most people, methadone stays in your system all day as others like Loritabs may only last 4 hrs and the pain is back. If I had to decide to take methadone or another narcotic to help with my pain, regardless of how well the narcotic may work, I would choose methadone without thinking twice. However, everyone is differnt. No two people will react to any med the same way. You have to keep trying until you find the right med or combination of meds that are right for you.

Ann please forgive me for my carelessness and I hope I didn't affend you or anyone else with my previous post. Thank you so much for helping me clear that up. I have to remember to think about what I am typing, before I type it. Please accept my apologies and again, thank you for your help.
Rebecca

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

No offense taken at all! As Josh said, it's just so easy to believe some of the hype and think we are addicts, when we just need help with a horrid condition. I just don't want casual readers - or people who don't really get the difference - to misunderstand the situation.

Your experience explains it so well - it's that sneaking around, borrowing from someone, trying to figure out how to get just one or two more. That's when you know you're possibly headed for trouble (or in trouble).

While it may have been your responsibility, it's all too easy to get there if you don't know what to look for and when your doctor isn't treating it right in the first place. You made the right choices when you figured it out - and continue to. Congratulations to you for being strong and determined - also not easy to do when faced with pain and doctors who don't get it, while being addicted.

Thanks for being so frank. This can only help another person to prevent this from happening or spot that they are headed for trouble.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

b_rwhite5

Post by b_rwhite5 »

Ann, thank you so much for understanding. I will be much more careful and keep in mind that many people do not know the difference. I hope I can help others from making the same mistakes as I did. RLS is bad enough. No one should have to go through an addiction, atleast not alone.

Thanks so much for your help. I have read many of your posts and I can tell that you are very educated about RLS and many types of meds for RLS. You have helped alot of people and I admire that. Thank you! :)
Rebecca

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am blushing. Thank you. Like you, Rebecca, I went through an awful experience and have made it my goal to prevent other people from have to go through something similar. If I had known more about RLS, I could have prevented allowing my uneducated doctor from making a mistake in my treatment. I might not now have RLS that is only treatable with Methadone. I am grateful that something I've written has helped someone.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

BeanieLee

Post by BeanieLee »

Hi Ann, I haven't checked in during the last few days so I wanted to say hi and ask you if you had a chance to mention me to your doctor when you saw him last week. My doctor recently put me on 4mg dilaudid pills and I'm still taking Lyrica. I've been doing pretty well with that but my podiatrist is urging me more and more to find a doctor who can maintain my treatment for rls. If he's up to consulting with another rlser, I would love to call and find out about cost and hopefully make an appointment. Let me know if you have or get the chance to ask him about it. Thanks so much Ann. I appreciate it.

I've found that if I take the dilaudid on a normal schedule, like every 4 hours instead of as needed, it staves off the symptoms very well and I'm in less pain when I wake up. Hope you're doing well :)

bean
The light of a good character surpasseth the light of the sun

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi BL - I went to my appointment and he wasn't there! Well, he was there, but apparently one of the other patients was in dire need of extra attention. So, he sent in his "doctor trainee" (he often has doctors in various stages of training there) with instructions to write my two sctipts for my meds. She did, and I left.

I was bummed that I couldn't ask him. I can't imagine that he wouldn't, though. Try calling him. He is Dr Gary, his son is Dr Trevor. They both know me and my case of RLS. Call the office and see if one of them will call you back and chat. I have a feeling they will. 708.258.9500.

The last time I saw Dr Trevor, he made a joke about high-pressured doctoring and lots of money vs what they do. They will easily spend an hour with a patient who needs it, they rarely overbook, and they are very personal and caring. I doubt any of them are getting rich, but they practice great medicine. Everyone needs doctors like these folks.

Managing Your RLS

BeanieLee

Post by BeanieLee »

Thanks Ann. I really appreciate it. do you mind if I mention you? I'll give them a call soon and explain my deal and hopefully I'll visit them. My podiatrist is working on getting me a requip starter kit so I may be trying that soon. I'm so glad that I've done my own research and learned about augmentation before getting into all of this treatment so that I know what to be aware of. When I call the doctors office I'll certainly let you know what happens. Thanks again Ann. Have a great day.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Mention away :-). They know me well and know how active I am in the RLS community. Just be honest. They may make you sign a narcotic use contract - they mentioned it to me on the first visit when they weren't sure if I was drug seeking. Can't blame them for being careful.

Managing Your RLS

BeanieLee

Post by BeanieLee »

What is a narcotic use contract? I've never heard of such a thing.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

They are the rage in some circles! They basically say that you need to use them only for medicating your problem and if you sell them or use them for other purposes they will stop prescribing them. Lynne has seen them - Josh probably, too. They can give you more details. Some people are very opposed to them, other people feel that they help us by making doctors more comfortable prescribing, so more of us will get the meds we need.

Managing Your RLS

doety

Day Eight

Post by doety »

Day Eight on Methadone, don't think I've ever slept so well. I can tell that I'm dreaming. Just wonder what all this sleep will do to me??? What a joy to know that I can sleep. But, I've read on this posting that you're tired during the day and I'm certainly experiencing that. This is just on 5 mg at night. I wonder if that will decrease as I'm able to stop the Mirapex and then the Klonopine....Ann, are you off everything else? I'm trying to exercise an hour a day. Oh -- I went nuts two days ago and went biking for four hours with my cousin! You know this usually means the RLS will kill you at night, but it didn't. I'm very excited that I can go to bed with my DH -- haven't been able to do that in so long -- but I'm still getting 10 hours now. Guess I'll wait a while to see how things go, see if I should set an alarm clock, exercise early or what. I'm not experiencing any other side effects except being tired. What's the longest people have used it successfully? I don't want it to be like Mirapex and start augmenting (but I think you said that the opiods wouldn't do that?). Sweet dreams....

b_rwhite5

Post by b_rwhite5 »

Hi, Doety. If you don't mind, I thought I would put my two cents in. I do not know if you will be less sleepy or more sleepy when you stop the other meds. Of course it is different for everyone, but I do know how it has affected me. About three years ago, I was on 150mgs! I do realize that I am not as sleepy when I decrease my dose. Now I am taking 15mgs and Desipramine and Lyrica. I do not notice much difference between when I was not taking any meds and now, though. I started exercising and taking a multivitamin and I am not as exhausted during the day as I was. I realize that I am more exhausted during the daytime than at night. As odd as it may sound, I have more energy at night than I do after my exercising in the morning. I don't usually get more than 6 or 8 hours a sleep a night. Then I will nap a couple of hours before lunch while my kids are in school. I also realize that no matter how much sleep I get, after taking the methadone in the morning (I have to take 7.5mgs in the morning and 7.5 mgs at night) I get so tired. And whether or not I take a nap I have loads of energy at night. Thats probaly just one of the many weird things with just me, anyway. I am sorry I have babbled on, but I just wanted to try to help. Ann also knows a great deal about methadone as well as many others. Everyone is so kind so I am sure everyone will help if they can. Have a good night and I hope all works well. Methadone is wonderful. So I hope it continues to work for you. Hopefully as your body gets used to it, you won't be as exhausted. The exercising and vitamins do help a great deal. I wish you the best of luck! And God Bless.
Rebecca

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Doety, I have a really hard time waking up. But I have all my life. Once I get going, I'm not tired. I am a little more subdued, maybe. It's a small price, but definitely a price.

Dump that Mirapex as soon as you can :-)

Managing Your RLS

coaster

Post by coaster »

I want to phase out Mirapex, too. I'm considering suggesting to my doctor a combo of Methadone and Neurontin. I need to go prepared with some credible medical citations. If someone can supply links to some medical citations for this therapy and/or the protocol, I'd appreciate it. I haven't had much luck googling. Thanks..... :)
~ Tim ~
hot topics & current events: The Bill Sebastian Forum

doety

doc

Post by doety »

evn though I heard about Methadone first on these boards, my Kaiser doc offered it to me....so apparently the medical community is finding out about it. He's a neurologist in Denver.