Mirapex and heat

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
brandy

Mirapex and heat

Post by brandy »

All of my life, I have had difficulty sweating. In fact, as a kid, I would faint because I couldn't sweat to cool off. Since I've been on Mirapex, I am sweating all the time. I look like Michael Jordan in the fourth quarter with sweat just pouring off of my face. Anyone else had this problem? I don't know what to do about it, but it is embarassing and remarkably inconvenient. Thanks?
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Brandy- I looked up that side-effect in my textbooks and in micromedex and couldn't find it mentioned anywhere. But, over the years I've learned to accept that many side-effects that people experience are never listed anywhere. Some side-effects are dose-related and will get better when your dose is adjusted down, so that may be one option. Since mirapex and requip are so similar, I would expect that switching to requip wouldn't help but that may be worth contemplating as well. The third option would be to get off the dopamine agonists all together. In my mind, a side-effect is a side-effect and if it's interfering with your quality of life, you may need to go onto something else. What does everyone else think? Has anyone else experienced this side-effect?
Josh

brandy

Post by brandy »

Thanks, Josh. I didn't think I had read that side effect anywhere, but it started simultaneously with the Mirapex, so that was the conclusion I ended up guessing. I augmented on Requip, so Mirapex is my current experiment. I am also on Ultram and am in the process of titrating up on Neurontin, so maybe easing off of the Mirapex is an option. Thanks for checking things out for me. You're the best!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I had temperature regulation issues with Mirapex, but no generalized sweating. I'd be FREEZING when I'd go to bed - and couldn't keep my eyes open (even fell asleep during sex!). I'd wake up frequently in the morning hours - like 5 am though 7 am - each time I'd wake up, I'd get blazingly hot. I could NOT go back to sleep until I cooled off again - this would take maybe 1- 30 minutes.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Brandy, could it be that the sweating comes from the Tramadol you are taking? It is a well-known side effect from this med. It does make me sweat when the dose wears off.

Corrie

brandy

Post by brandy »

Corrie - you are a genius! I didn't even think of that. I take Tramadol at night and have noticed that I am especially hot and sweating in the morning. I bet that's what it is. I started it about the same time I started the Mirapex. Is there anything to do about it other than quit the drug? It might be a combination of both the Ultram and the Mirapex in that I, like Ann, am waking up in the night burning up. You guys are amazing!

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

i do the hot and cold thing too, one minute i am freezing the next i am burning up. i think its the meds too. the people at work just love when i jack with the thermostat every 5 min lol

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

brandy

Post by brandy »

I'm lucky to have a thermostat in my office. But woe to the person who has to come to my office for a meeting. They either start growing fur or they have to look at Sweaty Sweaterson.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Brandy, I find that keeping as calm as possible helps a lot with the sweating. Like when the weather is hot and you are working hard you sweat a lot, but when you sit down quietly you sweat less. But I know, I know, it is hard to be calm when you have RLS and have to work etc.

Corrie

vinton

sweating

Post by vinton »

Same here since I'M on mirapex I sweat a lot.
Had multiple sclerosis for 35 years +

georger

Post by georger »

Brandy,
I researched another source for Dopamine and found L-Dopa in a supplement called Mucuna Pruriens. One of the side effects listed about it on a website about it is feeling hot. I also get hot taking it OR Mirapex OR Tyrosine (an ammino acid that increases dopamine in the system).

So, what bothers me is that doctors don't know this and that people seem confused about it. I am not confused at all. If I take Mirapex or any the supplements that I mentioned, I get hot and then ususally cool.

I am clear that it is a side effect of added dopamine to the system. I wish I could explain exactly why this is so, but I have not researched it enough. But, I think doctors should know about this by now.

Sherry

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I completely believe that the doctors have much less knowledge about RLS than we do. They do not know more than a few of the top/most likely side effects. Heck, my first neuro didn't even know what augmentation was or how to deal with it. He made my RLS worse. Another neuro I saw refused to prescribe opioids even though the Mayo Clinic algorithm clearly states they should not be withheld from people with refractory RLS (which I had).

This site is the ONLY place I know of (other than writing DR B) where you can get all of this information. And, much of the time, we only know what we know by adding bits and pieces of info scavenged from each other. So, thank goodness for people like you who can add your two cents so someone else can find out that he or she isn't crazy.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

Thanks for all the info on this post - I have been dying from hot flashes that last forever (it seems) but not from mid-life - yet - but I'm taking 2 tabs Mirapax plus 2 tramadol at bed time...guess between the two of them, I'll start showering before bed and mornings!!! Could this side effect carry over into the day if I'm only taking the Sinamet then? Seems the flashes go on 24/7 here lately...
Who took the FUN out of disFUNctional?
Kim <><

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

ViewsAskew wrote:I completely believe that the doctors have much less knowledge about RLS than we do. They do not know more than a few of the top/most likely side effects. Heck, my first neuro didn't even know what augmentation was or how to deal with it. He made my RLS worse. Another neuro I saw refused to prescribe opioids even though the Mayo Clinic algorithm clearly states they should not be withheld from people with refractory RLS (which I had).

No kidding!!! And thank you all for being here :!:

I was in a frustrated rant all day yesterday after being at the sleep clinic. Turns out they had scheduled me for a sleep study followup with the nurse practitioner. I told them, hey, I'm having major problems here, I need to deal with augmentation. The nurse practioner just wanted to give me a CPAP machine for my apnea - but when I took the sleep study results home and read them, they say I don't snore and don't have apnea!!!

This is what really torked me off: When I told the NP about the augmentation, and the side effects of the Requip, she would look up something in her little hand-held computer and then tell me, "That's not on the list." LIKE I WAS MAKING IT UP!!!

I told her that I got nausea (hey, that one IS on the list!), chills and extreme shivering (not on the list), and sinus stuffiness (not on the list). And guess what - all the sleep disturbances due to breathing difficulties occurred in the first couple hours of sleep, right after taking the Requip, when my head was stuffed solid and I couldn't breathe. Duh.

I don't know how many times I told her, "Look, I just want to deal with the augmentation right now!"

Anyway, how this relates to this thread is that you were posting, I believe about feeling hot or sweating with the drugs. I'm just adding my side effect of shivering and feeling cold.

I don't care if it's on the bleeping list of side effects. If I take a drug daily for 8 weeks and an hour after I take it, every time, I get a shivering and chills, it's a side effect for me. Add it to the bleeping list if you have to!

OK, I'm done ranting here. I'm going back to my post about "Augmenting already" to continue my tirade. :twisted:

Squirming Susan, who finally managed to get a legitimate prescription for Vicodin.