Remeron

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Helen518

Post by Helen518 »

I LOVED remeron, 30 mg/night. My Neurologist made me get off it because he suspected it was aggravating my RLS. I have not been the same since. I am so anxious and I keep coming down with more chronic disorders. I think they must be related to the untreated anxiety and depression. I'm thinking of getting back on it if I can.

Neco

Post by Neco »

That was my dose as well, and even hydrocodone adequitely controlled the additional RLS symptoms the Remeron caused.

Since you are on Methadone, there is a good chance you can take it without having problems with your RLS.. Just make sure it is safe to combine with Methadone first.

Helen518

remeron and methadone

Post by Helen518 »

Well, I've been taking 15 mg remeron for a week. I was hoping to take it for maximum a month, assuming that whatever is causing this nocturnal panic will pass. However, I am suspecting that it might be starting to aggravate my creepy crawlies during the day. However, I've been sleeping like a baby at night!
Last night I tried to go without it and I awoke with a start at 12:30 am, my heart pounding and my legs creeping. I was really, irrationally afraid of nothing in particular. I took the remeron pill and also .5 mg lorazepam and I went for a walk. I got to sleep about and hour and 15 minutes later.
Before I started the remeron last week, I had 2 weeks of insomnia, then several days of insomnia and anxiety combined.
On the web, pounding heart, tight chest and restlessness, anxiousness, faintness, and are listed as side effects of methadone. The restlessness and faintness are listed as not serious. The pounding heart and chest pain are listed as serious but I think mine are not intense and are part of the anxiety.
I tried my relaxation exercises, but they didn't seem to work. Is it possible to relax your self with these exercises when the anxiety is caused by a drug? The only success I've had getting back to sleep has been a result of taking a benzo, mirapex, neurontin, or remeron.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I wish I knew something solid that I could tell you, but I don't..

It could be the Methadone, or it could be a panic/anxiety disorder, or if this is only happening at night, it could be night terrors..

I've had night terrors in the past, where I would wake up and suddenly be afraid for no reason at all.. And I would always feel like I had to get out of the room I was sleeping in, like something was in the room.

Helen518

Post by Helen518 »

Did you have them every night, or just occaisionnally?

That is exactly how I feel! I usually end up sleeping in the family room on the sofa. I used to be able to go for a walk adn feel better but now the walk is not enough. I have to take someting to feel better. It really is awful to feel like you are terrified and there is no one awake to help you feel safe from . . . your irrational fears! I end up folding laundry and watching TV and eventually lying down. But it's not like the nights when I have to walk just for my legs. I have a horrible anxiety in my chest and all the psychological tricks I have learned over the years do not seem to work. I put a call in to the psych and also into the neuro. The neuro at a conference but possibly could call me. The psych is supposed to be back in the office from a vacation today.) That's the problem with summer. You can never get hold of folks when you need them.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

It sounds like it might be worth it to just take the Remeron if it helps you get a good night's sleep. You can probably find a way to deal with the added RLS during the day, or increase the methadone to cover it.

I hadn't heard that methadone can cause anxiety and all that. It doesn't seem to for most of us, although people with RLS have a tendency toward having anxiety anyway. Do you really think it's the methadone or is the anxiety because you quit taking the Remeron about the same time as you went on the methadone? If the methadone is a problem, there are certainly other opioids out there that might be better for you.

I don't know about relaxation exercises. I'm taking a med that causes anxiety, and there was just no way that I could control it by physical exercise, which is my usual way of dealing with it. And I was exercising a lot. Now I'm taking Lexapro and it sucks the anxiety and my motivation to exercise right out of me.

And regular relaxation exercises? Those will set the creepy-crawlies loose on me every time, even when medicated. There's no way I want to take enough RLS meds to cover the extra symptoms when I do relaxation exercises!

It's all such a crazy balancing act with the meds, isn't it.
Susan

Helen518

Post by Helen518 »

You said it, Susan. It is a crazy balancing act, and people don't understand it.

I don't think I can take more methadone. I think I would be too sleepy! When I was taking the hormones for IVF I was able to take 25 but when I went off them, that was when I had my first midnight panic attack. I slowly brought the methadone down to 17.5 but had to go back up to 20.

I guess I'll continue on the Remeron for couple of days to see if it really is bothering my legs. Is Trazedone an option for RLSers with anxiety? I've also seen Ultram mentioned.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Ultram is Tramadol, a psuedo-opiate of sorts. Its considerably weaker than Methadone and cannot be taken with anti-depressants or other drugs that could lower your seizure threshold..

I wouldn't recommend it in that case.. However, you should be able to reduce your Methadone and supplement the lost amount by adding Vicodin. Aiken takes a combination of the two, to help combat the sleepy side effects.

Trazadone may be an option for anxiety, as it acts as a sedative and I know it put me out when I happened into a couple pills.. I actually split them down into quarters and got good sleep for the most part.