New Rx, not sure about it!

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SleepyBeans

New Rx, not sure about it!

Post by SleepyBeans »

Hi all, new member here.
Have PLMS (sleep study results: movement index 54 per hour, associated awakenings index 23.5 per hour) and RLS.
Take SSRI type antidepressants.
When PLMS was diagnosed, dr put me on Mirapex. HUGE problems with RLS.........another dr I know socially told me Mirapex and SSRIs (Celexa, Lexapro) are a bad mix, worsening RLS symptoms. But the Mirapex helped with the PLMD. I slept better but the RLS made me want to cry, or die, whichever would help! :cry:
So, my treating sleep dr changed me to Klonopin, taking 1.5 to 2 tabs of .5 mg strength. Okay, RLS is better but not gone. Sleep is not so great; I still have a lot of daytime sleepiness....a co-worker caught me perfectly vertical and sound asleep at 3pm last Thursday. This stinks. And suffering a bit from "drug hangover" I presume is from the Klonopin.
Saw my sleep dr today, and he added Requip .25 mg to my drug load.
Is this any better of an idea than the Mirapex was?????
I've tried to wean off the antidepressants but for a myriad of reasons this is not the answer for me.
Can anyone help out there? Jumpyowl, you seem to be knowledgeable...
Thanks for any advice,
SleepyBeans

Anonymous

Mirapex vs. Requip

Post by Anonymous »

Take SSRI type antidepressants.
When PLMS was diagnosed, dr put me on Mirapex. HUGE problems with RLS.

Hi Sleepy

I'm also fairly new to this discussion board, but have had RLS for 7 years. I'm a neuroscientist in the pharmaceutical industry, and know a bit about dopaminergic agonists. I'm also on an SSRI; I have to switch about once a year because whatever I'm on stops working. One option you may want to try is to see about switching to Wellbutrin. Some love it; some hate it, but it beats trying to wean yourself off the SSRIs.

Saw my sleep dr today, and he added Requip .25 mg to my drug load

Doctors will usually try Requip if Mirapex doesn't work. Would your doctor be willing to try Sinemet (dopamine precursor, see other threads)? You might well be better off going that route if you didn't do well with the other agonist.

Just a thought. Hang in there!

ipsi

SleepyBeans.

Thanks ipsi!

Post by SleepyBeans. »

Thanks for responding. Will give the Requip a try then, since you say it's a popular alternative with many docs.
Can ask about the other med, Sinemet, when I see him next, that's in a month, but he won't change meds via phone calls.
And even though the SSRIs have been quite successful in treating my depression, I am perfectly willing to try another type...Wellbutrin as you mentioned, or I've heard of Remeron...do you have any knowledge of that one?

I appreciate your sharing your knowledge/experience.

Sleep well,
Sleepy

jumpyowl

Hello to both of you!

Post by jumpyowl »

Well just to remind you this post, Sleepybeans! here are the drugs that are incompatible with RLS medication. Look under anti-depressants!

--------------------WARNING!--------------------

The following medications (dopamine antagonists) may cause significant worsening of RLS symptoms in some patients:

ANTI-NAUSEATES:

__________Benadryl, Antivert, Atarax, Bonine, Compazine, Phenergan, thorazine, Tigan, Trilaton, Vistaril, Reglan. Suggested alternatives: Kytril, Sofran

ANTIPSYCHOTICS:

__________Haldol, Loxitane, Mellaril, Motan, Navane, Prolixin, Risperdal, Serentil, Stelazine, Thorazine, Vesperin

ANTIDEPRESSANTS:

__________all can cause worsening of RLS with the possible exception of Remeron, Serzone and Wellbutrin

ANTIHISTAMINES:

__________Benadryl and OTC/Rx combination cold/sinus/cough medications:

__________Actifed, Comtrex, Contact, DimeTapp, Triaminic, Theraflu, Vicks cough syrup, Tylenol PM, Exedrin PM, Bayer PM.

Ipsi_Dixit, I am glad I found you again. Now that I know you are a neuroscientist to boot, I am real happy. I hope you are going to offer a helping hand occasionally.

Well you know that I am preparing a paper for the National Meeting based on questionnaires, Heck, you should be writing the paper. 8)

Can I at least talk you into filling out one of the questionnaires? I will be glad to send it to you if you let me know your e-mail address. :oops:

Also can I pick your brain on some of the brain chemistry part? (no pun intended) You should be a co-author then I would be sure to get the neuro stuff right?

What do you say? :)
Jumpy Owl

SleepyBeans

Thanks to Ipsi & Jumpy

Post by SleepyBeans »

Hey guys,
Thanks your input. After checking with the other sleep dr I know, I went ahead and tried the Requip, but have not made a change off the Lexapro. So far so good - not having restless legs in the evenings. A tiny bit occasionally of the slightly numb tingly sensation in the skin of my thighs but it's not bothersome. Yet.
I am waking up more alert in the mornings...that's always a good thing. But I've noticed I've tossed & turned a lot, due to waking up on the other side of the bed and finding the covers all tossed. Weird, considering I'm not as tired during the day. :roll:
I appreciate any further thoughts y'all may have on this. And JumpyOwl, thanks for that "drugs to avoid" list. That will come in handy.