Ambien

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

I've never tried the CR but use to take 5 mg of the regular ambien and it worked for a while, getting me to sleep but not keeping me there - then I'd be up walkindafloors with my legs feeling like I was sleep walking! I'm fearful of the CR due to the dosage - when the 5 mg didn't seem to work and I'd take the full 10 mg tab, like several of you, I would do and say things that 1) I didn't remember doing and 2) would never have done in my "normal" state of mind!!! My daughter and husband swear I rode the clothes basket the full length of the steps one night (which I still say can't be true) and didn't believe their tales until my daughter taped me singing her lullabies as I tucked her in (then played it for her friends and believe me, I can NOT sing :oops: ).

No more ambien for me...I can act crazy on my own (and remember it)!
Who took the FUN out of disFUNctional?
Kim <><

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctravel12

ambien

Post by ctravel12 »

I am so sorry for what the both of you going through. Being sleep deprived is the worst thing that can happen.

I wish I could suggest to try something else. I feel so helpless that I cannot help you with this. The only thing I know that I can do and have been doing is saying prayers everynight that this will get better and will get your quality of life back that you so much deserve.

When I was not sleeping, my dr gave me a prescription for Rozerem and that was like drinking a glass of water. She wanted to give me something that had very few side effects and was not habit forming, which this is as you can stop this without having any problems with it. It did not work for me, but may work for someone else. Just a thought.

I feel like I am just rambling on but when I read your posts I wanted to sit down and just cry.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think some of us just don't deal with those sleep meds very well. They never work for me, either. Nor my DH. Funny, the only thing that ever really put me out was Mirapex. . .at about 2 hours after taking it - and a very low dose - I was out - completely. In the beginning, I actually fell asleep DURING sex! I learned I couldn't drive after I took it - was afraid. But, over time, it started having the opposite effect - I'd wake up every few hours and couldn't fall back to sleep for up to an hour. Bizarre.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

brandy

Post by brandy »

I have taken Ambien, Ambien CR and Lunesta. The CR was no good at all. But, the thing I noticed about the Ambien and the Lunesta is that it required higher than the recommended dose to help me sleep through the night. Because our bodies process medications differently and because many of us are on other medications that might contribute to faster metabolization of the sleep drugs, it might take more than normal for us. My dad is a Lunesta rep and he has doctors who regularly prescribe 6 and 9 mg for daily use to patients who have no effect with the 3 mg. I'm not sure what the max allowable is for Ambien. The thing you can do is look at the package insert. There, you should be able to find a statement that basically says that the company tested a certain dose (that will often be up to 4 times the recommended dose) without any negative or harmful effects. Show that to your doctor and s/he might be willing to write for you to take whichever works for you at a little higher dose. For Lunesta, I have to have a minimum of 6 mg (occasionally 9) and for Ambien I have to have 15 mg, although I strongly prefer Lunesta because it doesn't make me act like I have completely lost my mind. Hope this is helpful to someone. Love you all.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer