Narcotics...How Do They Work?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
tazzer

Post by tazzer »

me too beanie, i thought i was the only one on here with a high tolerance for pain meds. i have to take double what normal people take.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

BeanieLee

Post by BeanieLee »

Randy, I'm not a pharmacist or anything like Fidge but I'm also one of the people who doesn't get along with Ultram very well. I find that whenever I take it I feel like I've ingested way too much caffiene or something and feel scatterbrained. I also find that I yawn a lot and the yawn is so intense that it goes on for like ten seconds and feels like my jaw is going to dislocate. ha! It's like a giant stretch. I find it counteractive to my rls because the jittery stimulant feeling seems to exaserbate the tightness and pain in my legs. I've also taken darvocet a long time ago for something unrelated and found that it produced the same jittery/spacey feeling. I don't care for either of them. If Ultram disagrees with you and your doctor suggests darvocet you may want to keep that in mind. Of course everyone reacts differently so it may work for you but I would suggest Tylenol #3 instead. That's a very mild narcotic and it's always good to start with the lowest possible dose and work from there. Good luck!
The light of a good character surpasseth the light of the sun

krichwine

Post by krichwine »

I'm new to the message board scene, but not so much with RLS. I have been taking Mirapex & Gabitril for aobut 4 years now. Today I was bored at work and looked up some other treatments. I discovered Opiates may be the way for me. My RLS used to come on at about 8pm. Now it's more like 8am, and it is driving me nutty. Any suggestions on how to bring this up to my MD or neuro so they don't look at me like I'm Crazy.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If your RLS is so much earlier, AND you are taking Mirapex (a dopamine agonist), then it's most likely that hte Mirapex is causing the worsened RLS - it's called augmentation. There is a lot written about it here. Start with the "sticky" post in this section.

Per the doc - take in the Mayo Clinic Algorithm and see what happens - it is in the "sticky" call managing RLS in the New To RLS section. It describes in there that using opiates is perfectly acceptable. Some of us end up with new docs :( .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Stalt

Narcotics?

Post by Stalt »

Darvocet N 100 helps me sometimes....

When all else fails 10mg Hydrocodone will always STOP RLS for me..
I take it as a LAST resort, usually if it has been 4 hrs since Darvocet with no relief.

My problems are complex( Spinal birth defect, Periferal Neuropathy, spinal injury, RLS) so I take a variety of Meds to keep me upright and functioning.

Jim

><>

krichwine

Post by krichwine »

Thanx you 2. I'm goin to a new Dr. on Friday. So wish me luck.