Neuro visit yesterday, told of crazy side effects

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
tazzer

Neuro visit yesterday, told of crazy side effects

Post by tazzer »

Ok, so yesterday was my monthly appt with neuro and he asked me if when i was taking the requip or mirapex did i have any side effects. i told him no, cept with the mirapex it made it hard for me to go pee. he told me that new literature has came out that requip and mirapex at higher doses was causing people to have addictive behavior, like sex addict, shoplifting, shopaholic, drug addict, and he named a couple others. so has anyone on this board had any weird side effects from those drugs?

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yep - but it doesn't have to be at higher doses! I put on 50 pounds - just wanted to eat all the time. If you do a search, you'll read about people who gambled their savings away, lost their family, etc.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

that was the other thing, gambling! he did tell me that it was only with the requip and mirapex not the sinemet.

dee

Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

carolsond

Post by carolsond »

Hi!

Yes, I take .075 mlg. of Mirapex for the severe RLS I have a day. I was taking 1 mlg/day, however, I wanted it cut down because of the crazy side effects. I also have gained about 35 pounds from taking the Mirapex. I was snacking continually especially in the evenings while watching TV. However, I joined Weight Watchers and have lost about 15 of those unwanted pounds and I'm still taking the Mirapex. It hasn't been helping or giving me any relief at all from the RLS recently. Instead, it just is making it worse. I'm afraid it may be augumentation. I get it at night and early morning and afternoon which sure points to augumentation. I have an appointment to see my doctor on 10/26. I hope he puts me on another medication. I don't know which one will help relieve the symptoms of RLS. Did your doctor put you on another medication and what is it? Does it help relieve the RLS? Also, since I started taking Mirapex, I also have had auditory hallucinations when I go to bed. That's scary! All I can say for Mirapex is that it does more harm than good-right! I wish they'd find some medication for RLS that would help relieve the symptoms of it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Augmentation is a bugger!

You can try Requip instead. Some people can take both, some people do better with one or the other, and some can't take either. If Requip doesn't work, then you have to switch to a benzodiazepine, an opioid, or an anti-seizure. Look at the Mayo Clinic algorithm for some specific guidelines - it's in the New to RLS sticky on managing RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mwade1

Post by mwade1 »

I started on Scinemet (instant relief but soon lost it's benefit), switched to Permax which worked great for years, then to Requip. Oh, and Klonopin through all the above. Requip works for me, but is the first of the drugs that has left me with augmentation. It's only bad after a bad night's sleep. Overall I'm very happy with the results, though at first I was having incredibly vivid dreams and talking in my sleep (bad combo!!) But those side effects have gone and I'm very happy with the Requip so far. I've gained weight, but there are so many other things that can cause that I'm not willing to blame it on the drug. Pretty sure if I'd get off my duff and burn some calories, the weight would drop off. No problems whatsoever with gambling or compulsive eating or other behaviors.
Smile! If it doesn't help you, and it likely will, it surely will help someone else!!!
Just Mike!

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

now that i think of it i had vivid dreams when i was on requip. i take the sinemet only when my legs are really bad, because of the bad rap sinemet has on augmentation. i have actually lost weight because the pain med cuts my appetite. i wish they would just find something to fix this, so i wouldn't have to take any pills, period!

dee

Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945